exoto

Local PD called and asked what gun I bought, is it normal?

61 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

My town contacted my employer for my initial FID (but not for subsequent purchase permits) and that kind of pissed me off as well.  I work for a massive multi-national organization so the request was routed to a senior partner who had to call and discuss our company "firearm policy" with me.  Fortunately I knew him well and he's a Boy Scout leader, so he appreciates responsible firearms ownership, but I can only imagine what would have happened if it was someone with a axe to grind.

Ironically they now know me so well that for my last permit request they didn't even check with my references and I had the permits in 3 weeks.

same thing happened to me!!! exactly!! A security officer and a senior partner had a meeting with me talking about firearm policy. They apparently didn't appreciate firearm ownership but they also stated that they won't say "no" to it if it's only for the lawful purpose (sporting/hunting). Fortunately, I didn't get into trouble with them. 

This was kinda scary for me 'cause I love my job there and I really don't want to lose it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, exoto said:

I believe that guy is indeed an officer. I found his name from the police annual report. However, he is not the same person that went through my FID background check. 

Good! Now please call the ANJRPC and tell them everything that happened. You don't even need to give your name but they need to know this is happening to be able to stop it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
princeton township


Figures it would be one of the most Liberal towns in NJ with less than 10% of voters being registered Republicans and all those in power being Democrats.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

this is very very simple. i've seen at least one suggestion that may end up being a lie to them. don't do that. just politely tell them that they have no need to know either way if you've bought anything, nor do they have a need or right to know what it is you may or may not have bought.

keep it simple and honest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't lie. Just make their lives difficult. 

My first response to such a question would be why they want to know. The PD cleared you for legal gun purchases/ownership. To what purpose do they need to know what guns you're buying?

I would then tell them I don't feel comfortable publicly stating the number and types of firearms I own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been called several times by police mostly for references on someone. I use a trick a cop taught me that they even use on each other.  Get his name and extension number and tell him you're going to call him back momentarily in order to verify.  You then call back the department he claims to be from and ask for him.  If he is real they will connect you.  If he's not they'll tell you.  I never had a problem at all doing this. And not one ever argued or complained.  This way you know the call is from a police officer and not some other type of nut.  If this indeed did happen, this would have been the most logical first step. If you have his name it isn't too late to call and find out if he was from that PD at all.  

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a bunch of people here telling the OP to contact ANJRPC, but in my experience they do nothing. I've emailed them 6 - 8 times over the past year and a half to report my Township requiring extra paper work and I've never received a single response.

Though that may be due to the fact that I live in South Jersey. Most organizations in this state ignore everyone from the western half of Burlington county on south.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My $0.02 if someone called with this quesiton, I'd simply ask them under what statute they are conducting this investigation and requiring my answer, and if I can have their contact information once I run it past my lawyer. 

It's either a legitimate quesiton (we know it isn't), or it is harassment, in which case you want their identifying information. 

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hairless_Ape said:

I see a bunch of people here telling the OP to contact ANJRPC, but in my experience they do nothing. I've emailed them 6 - 8 times over the past year and a half to report my Township requiring extra paper work and I've never received a single response.

Though that may be due to the fact that I live in South Jersey. Most organizations in this state ignore everyone from the western half of Burlington county on south.

YOU'VE noticed that too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
same thing happened to me!!! exactly!! A security officer and a senior partner had a meeting with me talking about firearm policy. They apparently didn't appreciate firearm ownership but they also stated that they won't say "no" to it if it's only for the lawful purpose (sporting/hunting). Fortunately, I didn't get into trouble with them. 

This was kinda scary for me 'cause I love my job there and I really don't want to lose it.

 

 

Same thing here when I first applied for my FID. My company contracts that service out to workday and the local PD wouldn't pay for it (nor would I expect them to). I called HR to ask for a letter to be faxed to the PD and they refused after I told them what it was for. Finally I got HR to agree to write a letter to my which I said was for employment verification purposes for an unspecified application which I then faxed over to PD. I will use this approach going forward as long as the PD is OK with it. When I applied for my second FID after my move the new town said they don't even check with the employer so it never became an issue.

 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never had a town verify anything with an employer, owning guns in NJ is hard enough as it is, but don't live in a super liberal town if you want to be a gun owner.

I have a friend in Ramsey that told me it took him 6 months for a new FID and 2 P2P's to come in. Everything was good to go and he was waiting on the chief's signature and one day he went in to talk to the chief, gave him shit about it and how he was trying to do the right thing, magically 2 days later his new FID was ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 5:32 PM, raz-0 said:

My $0.02 if someone called with this quesiton, I'd simply ask them under what statute they are conducting this investigation and requiring my answer, and if I can have their contact information once I run it past my lawyer. 

It's either a legitimate quesiton (we know it isn't), or it is harassment, in which case you want their identifying information. 

 

 

In which case, the LEO would most likely advise you that any future P2P applications (or FID change of address, etc.) would be "denied."  and you "need not apply again."   Furthermore, if you were to apply again, you'd have to answer "Yes" to the question of whether or not your application ever was "denied" for any reason....  

Better just to tell them you haven't bought one. First of all, how would they even know you bought a long gun? Do they get notified by NJ NICS that you had a NICS check done?  Obviously, they'd know when you buy a hand gun since they'd get the P2P copy back from the FFL. But a long gun???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sota said:

"who's dick were you letting get shoved up your ass?  oh I don't need to know? I guess that's my reply to your question as well."

Wow. I dont really understand the context of your post.  Can you please break it down so i can fathom  it. Sorry its me.  Not you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

In which case, the LEO would most likely advise you that any future P2P applications (or FID change of address, etc.) would be "denied."  and you "need not apply again."   Furthermore, if you were to apply again, you'd have to answer "Yes" to the question of whether or not your application ever was "denied" for any reason....  

Better just to tell them you haven't bought one. First of all, how would they even know you bought a long gun? Do they get notified by NJ NICS that you had a NICS check done?  Obviously, they'd know when you buy a hand gun since they'd get the P2P copy back from the FFL. But a long gun???

 

Doubt it. They would then have to explain them self in court when you appeal it. Let them deny. It establishes a pattern of harassment. 

They wont though.  

If they threaten you, schedule an appointment with the chief and the mayor. Make shit roll downhill. Nobody is going to officially cop to mandated harassment, so it’ll all be the fault of the schmuck on the phone. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our department poc said that they now need to talk to each person in person to accept purchase requests.  No idea about FIDs.  

This seems benign, in that you have to give the documents to someone, and I guess they don't want them just dropped off with the secretary.  

But I don't have anything to reference against, if face to face with the firearms poc is normal or mandatory.  

Apparently out department sends out the character requests every tIme.  No pause to that if recurring purchase requests.  I resent this due to the hassle to my friends. Not heard of employer contact though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JHZR2 said:

Our department poc said that they now need to talk to each person in person to accept purchase requests.  No idea about FIDs.  

This seems benign, in that you have to give the documents to someone, and I guess they don't want them just dropped off with the secretary.  

But I don't have anything to reference against, if face to face with the firearms poc is normal or mandatory.  

Apparently out department sends out the character requests every tIme.  No pause to that if recurring purchase requests.  I resent this due to the hassle to my friends. Not heard of employer contact though.  

to the best of my knowledge, face to face with the poc is not indeed mandatory, which would make it illegal. i think. i asked my friend that works for a local pd, seeing as he does their depts firearms permitting. he said he doesn't call anyone. once the checks are done and one is approved, there is no need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 4:39 PM, 124gr9mm said:

My town contacted my employer for my initial FID (but not for subsequent purchase permits) and that kind of pissed me off as well.  I work for a massive multi-national organization so the request was routed to a senior partner who had to call and discuss our company "firearm policy" with me.  Fortunately I knew him well and he's a Boy Scout leader, so he appreciates responsible firearms ownership, but I can only imagine what would have happened if it was someone with a axe to grind.

Ironically they now know me so well that for my last permit request they didn't even check with my references and I had the permits in 3 weeks.

 

Thi ssounds just like my.tmy.town lol

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now