MeanGene

NICS issues

Just called a local FFL to ask about a rifle I ordered but they said that the NICS power has been out and there’s a verification back up for days. They told me to come in and get into the que. First time I’ve encountered this as all of my previous verifications took under 5 min. Is this business as usual?

I guess it depends on where the severs are located?

If they're housed somewhere in NJ and there's a power outage they may not be able to keep the datacenter fully operational.

My FFL told me that there have been significant delays since the Florida shooting.  He submitted a request for me last week and it took over 7 hours to process.

Well NICS does not run on Sundays .. so it in effect "mine" came back the next "biz" day.  They have been backlogged.   It will go back to normal at some point. People seem to be going on a gun buying spree right now given what has been going on.

13 hours ago, Indianajonze said:

So basically NJ figured out a way to do an end around the laws and institute a de-facto 3 day waiting period for all gun purchases. Why are none of the gun groups suing over this nonsense?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Why?  Because it would be a fool's errand to do so at this point & cost money that's better spent.  Facts outweigh emotionalism when it comes to legal matters and the burden of proof isn't satisfied with next business day approvals.  Besides, we don't want to piss-off Det. Sgt. Brett Bloom (the guy who got NJSP barracks to issue P2P's good for 180 days).  He shows-up to NJSAFECON and answers the tough questions.  I hope I've answered your question.

Rosey

Why?  Because it would be a fool's errand to do so at this point & cost money that's better spent.  Facts outweigh emotionalism when it comes to legal matters and the burden of proof isn't satisfied with next business day approvals.  Besides, we don't want to piss-off Det. Sgt. Brett Bloom (the guy who got NJSP barracks to issue P2P's good for 180 days).  He shows-up to NJSAFECON and answers the tough questions.  I hope I've answered your question.
Rosey
Your answer is utter nonsense. The past week has not seen next business day approvals, and even if they did, it still amounts to an artificial waiting period illegal imposed by the "instant" check system. 49 other states are experiencing the same volume bumps, and approvals still take 5 minutes. And your "just don't piss them off" commentary means you basically have zero credibility

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Can we please stop squabbling? @Indianajonze... You may not agree with Rosey's point, but lawsuits DO, in fact, cost money and these 2A orgs - (now that we're in the Murphy era) - are no doubt considering several additional lawsuits. That said, they're going to have to choose the issues that provide the most "bang for the buck" to spend money wisely (as members should want them to).

Looking at the WALL of anti-2A legislation/issues ahead of us, not to mention all the problems we normally deal with, how does this issue compare to: gun seizures without due process? magazine limits? outlawing certain types of guns? permits that take 6 mos or more?  Would you rank this latest NICS delay at the top or the bottom of that list? 

Rosey merely offered an opinion. Why give such a heated response? As a group, we really need to stop "shooting the messenger". We whine that the 2A groups won't post on here... but then when they do post, we go into insult & attack mode. :facepalm: I know these issues are frustrating... I get that, I really do!... but the personal attacks are just so damn counterproductive.

• Like 5

Whatever. Then I don't want to see anyone crying about nics backups for DAYS since clearly it's not that big of a deal and there are more important things to worry about. Also we don't want to upset anyone at the state police apparently. I'll tell you though, if these ppl in Trenton were smart, this is the perfect way to grind firearm sales to a halt. It's a lot bigger issue than you think

24 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

Your answer is utter nonsense. The past week has not seen next business day approvals, and even if they did, it still amounts to an artificial waiting period illegal imposed by the "instant" check system. 49 other states are experiencing the same volume bumps, and approvals still take 5 minutes. And your "just don't piss them off" commentary means you basically have zero credibility

LOL, zero credibility!  I'm not in this game for your approval of my credibility.  I deal in FACTS.  NJ NICS was never maintained to be able to be "instant" at anything, and that includes making Sanka brand "instant coffee"!  I don't like the delays either!  NJ still has thousands of residents in the dark.  Like Hurricane Sandy DARK!  I don't know where or how redundant NJSP servers are or how long they were w/o power or if any electrical equipment got damaged due to a surge.  How credible would I look if we as a group sued the state of NJ & then they hire an expert to testify that the system was down due to a cascade effect?  Can we count on YOU to pay for the law suit when we LOSE?

Let's just agree to disagree ON THIS SINGLE ISSUE and look forward to marching in Trenton TOGETHER AS A UNIFIED ENTITY on Monday March 26th, OK?

BTW, CNJFO is having an Executive Board meeting this Wednesday night.  Members can sit-in and hear firsthand what we're doing (can't unzip our fly's in public HERE).  Are YOU a MEMBER?  What's your REAL NAME?  Want a seat at the table?  Email me!

Dave Rosenthal, VP

http://www.cnjfo.com

[email protected]

• Like 1

Other than running your eMouth on the internet, what are *YOU* personally doing about this, [mention=8522]Indianajonze[/mention]?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just pissing into the wind in a complaint thread I didn't even start on a topic I have no immediate interest in (not buying anything). So yeah I'm just running my emouth apparently. I'll leave you ppl alone now.

And to David Rosenthal, you stating you didn't want to piss people off is one of the most appalling things I've ever read here. For someone with your purported credentials you should be ashamed of yourself. I stand by my statement. Zero credibility

Isn't the law with Federal NICS 3 days then it can be considered approved? If so then anything within 3 days for NJ would be the same as what the acceptable wait period is federally. Unfortunately I do not believe NJ NICS has a timeframe for when automatic approvals kick in. So there is no incentive for them to get done any faster. I am going by memory so if that info is not correct please correct me.

Either way I do think lawsuits should be filed any chance we get. I think drowning the state in lawsuits is the best strategy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Indianajonze said:

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just pissing into the wind in a complaint thread I didn't even start on a topic I have no immediate interest in (not buying anything). So yeah I'm just running my emouth apparently. I'll leave you ppl alone now.

And to David Rosenthal, you stating you didn't want to piss people off is one of the most appalling things I've ever read here. For someone with your purported credentials you should be ashamed of yourself. I stand by my statement. Zero credibility

Respectfully, I can't comprehend why you're so angry and combative with the posters here.

5 minutes ago, MeanGene said:

I was told today by several FFLs that there’s a surge in panicky buyers that’s also slowing things down.

It’s when nobody is buying guns, I’ll be nervous. Post Sandy Hook.. 2 weeks back log!

• Like 1

Respectfully, I can't comprehend why you're so angry and combative with the posters here.

Posters? Plural? Or one individual who announced his credentials and has the stated position that we should tread lightly to avoid pissing people in authority off? And I'm never angry. Sad and frustrated yes, but never angry. Combative eh maybe, but that's because I'm neither an apologist nor a sheep paralyzed by the fear of pissing ppl off.

Mark my words for posterity: these nics delays are a big deal and it's just the beginning. Another huge backlog today apparently. From what? Did Trenton suddenly lose power again? Call your ffl and ask how long it's taking approvals. I have been. A couple have told me that if I submit paperwork today I "might" see approval by the end of the week. But hey let's just accept it as commonplace. All is well. Bigger issues to fight

And now the backlog is no longer listed on the NICS site.... so maybe it was just a backlog of sundays purchases, which of course need to wait until monday to be process.

Go run to a store right now and buy something.. see if if you have wait until tomorrow or your de facto three days.  If you do, then you can complain.