vladtepes

Beretta 1301 Choke

I am not really a shotgun guy... but I have been thinking about shooting at a small time local 3 gun type comp that they have.. with that said I have seen a lot of talk about chokes used on shotguns for that type of thing.. I have a 18in Beretta 1301.. and when considered for that type of application.. 3 gun.. what do I gain using a choke.. how exactly is a choke helpful.. what do I lose by using a choke... 

I have already found a shop capable of doing this work.. 

any info relating to using a choke would be helpful.. I just don't know enough about it to understand the value.. 

34 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

because its way more than just having the work done.. if you can point me in another direction I am all for considering.. 

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/1301-tactical/

The newer guns come with chokes

2 hours ago, vladtepes said:

I am not really a shotgun guy... but I have been thinking about shooting at a small time local 3 gun type comp that they have.. with that said I have seen a lot of talk about chokes used on shotguns for that type of thing.. I have a 18in Beretta 1301.. and when considered for that type of application.. 3 gun.. what do I gain using a choke.. how exactly is a choke helpful.. what do I lose by using a choke... 

I have already found a shop capable of doing this work.. 

any info relating to using a choke would be helpful.. I just don't know enough about it to understand the value.. 

Assuming you currently have a cylinder bore. You can tighten the pattern with different chokes. 

If getting the barrel modified is cheaper, go for it. Worst case, a more versatile firearm.

14 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Assuming you currently have a cylinder bore. You can tighten the pattern with different chokes. 

If getting the barrel modified is cheaper, go for it. Worst case, a more versatile firearm.

MUCH cheaper.. like under a hundred bucks.. 

this is what I was told.. 

12 GA: To accept Rem-Choke or Win-Choke (same as the Browning Invector and Mossberg 500) threading the outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle must be .845” or larger. If the diameter is between .825” to .844” I can thread it for Tru-Choke tubes. (All the 1301 Tactical barrels we've seen were well over the .845 minimum)

what does that even mean.. LOL 

1 minute ago, vladtepes said:

MUCH cheaper.. like under a hundred bucks.. 

this is what I was told.. 

12 GA: To accept Rem-Choke or Win-Choke (same as the Browning Invector and Mossberg 500) threading the outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle must be .845” or larger. If the diameter is between .825” to .844” I can thread it for Tru-Choke tubes. (All the 1301 Tactical barrels we've seen were well over the .845 minimum)

what does that even mean.. LOL 

Caliper time..

thickness of thread depth and choke wall differs.

14 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

I guess I am just trying to understand.. 
* what choke I use for the application.. 
* if (and how) I can shoot slugs and buckshot once the modification is done..

Cylinder choke for mixing it up.

It’s probably a fools folly before you try and use it stock.

31 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

I guess I am just trying to understand.. 
* what choke I use for the application.. 
* if (and how) I can shoot slugs and buckshot once the modification is done..

Choke depends on many things, but shot size and distance to target are the two main things.  For this, you will have to do some research as it pertains to your application. 

A good choke tube will help with patterning, meaning not only how much the shot spreads at a given distance, but how evenly too.  Patterns can also be improved with shells like Federal Flight Control that uses a wad cup designed specifically for buck shot.  Flight Control will hold the pattern tighter by holding the shot in the shot cup longer.  This may or may not be useful in 3 Gun.

Generally speaking, IC is the best choke for slugs.  If you are not using a rifled barrel, you will want to use rifled slugs.  You can also get an extended choke tube with rifling for non-rifled slugs.

You can shoot slugs or buckshot out of any choke, it will compress as it passes through the choke.  However, mashing 00 buck in a full choke is not advisable because the shot will peen itself as it passes through the choke and become deformed.  It will not pattern reliably because the shot will become out of round.

Lastly, there are also extended choke tubes.  This type generally patterns better than a flush tube.  It's what all the cool kids (and trophy winners) are using these days.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Choke depends on many things, but shot size and distance to target are the two main things.  For this, you will have to do some research as it pertains to your application. 

A good choke tube will help with patterning, meaning not only how much the shot spreads at a given distance, but how evenly too.  Patterns can also be improved with shells like Federal Flight Control that uses a wad cup designed specifically for buck shot.  Flight Control will hold the pattern tighter by holding the shot in the shot cup longer.  This may or may not be useful in 3 Gun.

Generally speaking, IC is the best choke for slugs.  If you are not using a rifled barrel, you will want to use rifled slugs.  You can also get an extended choke tube with rifling for non-rifled slugs.

You can shoot slugs or buckshot out of any choke, it will compress as it passes through the choke.  However, mashing 00 buck in a full choke is not advisable because the shot will peen itself as it passes through the choke and become deformed.  It will not pattern reliably because the shot will become out of round.

Lastly, there are also extended choke tubes.  This type generally patterns better than a flush tube.  It's what all the cool kids (and trophy winners) are using these days.

Hmmn, I thought only cyl or rifle tubes for slugs.. well ya learn sumtin everyday.

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I agree with the majority of your post, I do not agree with the part about not shooting buckshot through a full choke.  Depends on what the gun is being used for and range.  I grew up hunting with buckshot in South Jersey and you really need to pattern your shotgun with buckshot.  My deer guns hold extremely tight buckshot patterns with full and extra full chokes and specific buckshot loads.  I have a lot of shotguns and everyone patterns differently.  There is no generic shot/choke combination that will work in all cases.  You need to pattern to determine what is best for your gun.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

I agree with the majority of your post, I do not agree with the part about not shooting buckshot through a full choke.  Depends on what the gun is being used for and range.

As a general rule, 00 buck will not pattern well out of full or extra full chokes.  You may happen to have a particular shotgun, with a particular choke, and use a shell with a particular powder/shot cup/buffer combo that works, and it's great when that happens, but as a general rule.....

00 buckshot is not immune to the laws of physics.  When you compress a cluster of malleable metallic spheres, they will deform.

Also, you have to be careful about what shotgun with a full or extra full choke you shoot 00 through.  Thin walled barrels can bulge or rupture because the large shot does not compress the same as #8 for instance.. The additional back pressure is noticeable in the increased recoil. If 00 kicks like a mule out of a shotgun with a CYL or IC choke, it will kick like a Clydesdale out of a full choke.

EDIT:  It appears that Modified and Improved Modified are the chokes most used in 3 Gun. 

On 3/10/2018 at 7:14 PM, JC_68Westy said:

I agree with the majority of your post, I do not agree with the part about not shooting buckshot through a full choke.  Depends on what the gun is being used for and range.  I grew up hunting with buckshot in South Jersey and you really need to pattern your shotgun with buckshot.  My deer guns hold extremely tight buckshot patterns with full and extra full chokes and specific buckshot loads.  I have a lot of shotguns and everyone patterns differently.  There is no generic shot/choke combination that will work in all cases.  You need to pattern to determine what is best for your gun.

Agree. Got my pops Stevens 311. 12ga. M/F barrels. Shoots birdshot for shit. Years ago fartin around at the range with buckshot in the gun. This thing shoots lightening bolts with 2 3/4" Winchester plated #1 buckshot. I've rolled more than a few deer with it. May take that gun for a walk this deer season. 

Nick