NJSigfan

AR stoner and side charging uppers

Hello all,

I’m hoping to get any information on AR stoner products and along with what’s the general feedback on side charging AR uppers.

This AR will be for plinking and general fun, nothing specialized or precision.  Budget for the complete upper is roughly 4-500 so this is on the high end for me.  The upper will be mated to an Anderson lower.  Link below is to the midway offering.

thanks

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/628873/ar-stoner-ar-15-side-charging-upper-receiver-assembly-556x45mm-16-barrel-with-15-m-lok-handguard

I have 2 side chargers and love them both. One is a Stoner the other a Crosshill Technologies Ambidextrous Side-Charge.

I tried the left side charge for awhile but found it easier to adjust to the right side like most semi's on the market. And bolt guns for that matter.  The only down side some might say is the handle MAY come loose and you need an allen wrench to tighten it or to remover the bolt for cleaning. I put a bit of lock tite on mine and never had a problem. I believe the Stoner upper is good upper. Got mine on sale for under $200 and mated it to a Bear Creek barrel. You'll like it. You don't need a dust cover or forward assist. And don't let anyone tell you different.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

I have 2 side chargers and love them both. One is a Stoner the other a Crosshill Technologies Ambidextrous Side-Charge.

I tried the left side charge for awhile but found it easier to adjust to the right side like most semi's on the market. And bolt guns for that matter.  The only down side some might say is the handle MAY come loose and you need an allen wrench to tighten it or to remover the bolt for cleaning. I put a bit of lock tite on mine and never had a problem. I believe the Stoner upper is good upper. Got mine on sale for under $200 and mated it to a Bear Creek barrel. You'll like it. You don't need a dust cover or forward assist. And don't let anyone tell you different.

SmittyMHS

thank you for the info.  If you don’t mind me asking, where did you buy the stoner from? Which comp do you have on it.

I have a crosshill technologies ambi side charger for about 4 years now, like it alot when bench shooting.  Also have a friend that built one into a small short home defense gun seems like it would work well in that role as well being easier to get your hands on than a stock charging handle.  Crosshill is out of business now though was a side project for LAR manufacturing who i think is now sold to Remington.  But i'm sure theres other companies making better side chargers by now.

The upper I got from Midway. I think Stoner is their shop brand. The brake is a Yankee Machine Phantom Slant Muzzle Brake. Only because I have a slant style hand guard and liked the look. You can get a bird cage NJ compliant and be just as happy.