Mrs. Peel

Aguila SuperExtra .22 LR 40 Grain Standard Velocity Solid Point

Does anyone know of a local place (in Hunterdon or nearby) that might have this stuff in stock --- Aguila SuperExtra .22lr "standard velocity" ammo? Apparently, it's getting pretty popular, but I checked the manufacturer's page, and the only local distributer I see is almost 80 miles away from me --- ugh! Maybe there's someplace else though?

I'm considering a bulk order (right now I'm using the more expensive CCI SV). But, I'd be super ticked off if I ordered a bunch and THEN found out there's a problem, so I want to first put 200 rounds through my gun. I've read a couple online comments saying that Aguila's lead nose is slightly thicker than CCI's SV, so it causes feeding issues in SOME pistols.

Alternatively, if you have some of this in your personal "stash" - and would be willing to do a small ammo swap, that would be fine too.  I belong to SCFGPA and am also easily commutable to TTC or Heritage Guild Easton. You can post here or PM me. 

Thx so much!

It's just a Ruger 22/45. Nothing fancy. I eventually want to try some local bulls eye comps. I'd like to reserve the CCI SV for that, and use a cheaper SV for practice (driving down the cost per round). Yeah, I know, I know... 22lr is cheap anyway... but I want to get the best value!

No, those are "high velocity", @ChrisJM981... but thank you, my friendly 'net researcher! :wub:

I'm no expert, but here's what I've learned... Standard Velocity ammo is most commonly used by bullseye shooters --- I can't provide a deep, technical explanation, but simply stated, because it's slower, it doesn't wobble as much as "high velocity" ammo --- so it's better for precision shooting events like bullseye. CCI standard velocity is the more desirable brand, but it's 8+ cents per round (though I scored a good deal at the holiday season).

But Aguila SV has some damn good reviews and I see it for only FOUR cents a round (and free shipping with a bulk order). That's a big savings! I want to try it out, but it seems so silly to order just a brick and then pay shipping on it - but worst case scenario, I might just do that... and if it works well, then I'll order bulk.

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

No, those are "high velocity", @ChrisJM981... but thank you, my friendly 'net researcher! :wub:

I'm no expert, but here's what I've learned... Standard Velocity ammo is most commonly used by bullseye shooters --- I can't provide a deep, technical explanation, but simply stated, because it's slower, it doesn't wobble as much as "high velocity" ammo --- so it's better for precision shooting events like bullseye. CCI standard velocity is the more common brand, but it's 8+ cents per round (though I scored a good deal at the holiday season).

Mini-Mags are 20 fps slower than the Aguila.... so yeah there's that. ;)

Just now, ChrisJM981 said:

Mini-Mags are 20 fps slower than the Aguila.... so yeah there's that. ;)

Ohhh! Aren't you clever! :D What kind of shooting do you do btw?

While I'm waiting, I'm going to tag @10X on this (I've made him my "designated guy" for bullseye questions) - maybe he can weigh in on the mini-mags also. 

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

If you feel the reviews are verified I’d jus buy the bulk. Your ammo purchases are jus starting. And you can always sell it in the future. 

Good lord, I feel like a moron! LOL. I didn't think of that... I guess I could sell it right on here if it didn't work in my pistol? :facepalm: 

Still prefer to avoid the hassle though. Eh, if someone has it... that's preferable. If not, I might just order a couple hundred rounds - how much can the shipping be? Prob not too much.

I have tried both the Aguila Super Extra SV and HV and it has been AWESOME in my .22 rifles and handguns.  I only have the HV left and I'm in SJ so not much help, but agree that is has been super accurate in all my guns so far.  Good luck and definitely worth a look. 

I've been using these guys a lot lately and find their pricing and shipping very reasonable, they have what you're looking for for $189/case or $.038 per round

https://www.outdoorlimited.com

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301133745/blazer-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose

Blazer is made by CCI. .04 a round.

They're out of stock. I'm 0 for 5 so far LoL. 

It's 1255 fps. I give up. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Academy Sports Outdoors - Out of Stock, but you may want to check out other ammo options there. Free Shipping on orders over 25.00

Aimsurplus - Out of Stock, but you may want to check out other ammo options there. No free shipping

MidwayUSA - In Stock. Recommend to check other ammo options there. No free shipping

SGAmmo - In Stock. Recommend to check other ammo options there. No free shipping

Target Sports USA - In Stock. Recommend to check other ammo options there. Free shipping if you buy in bulk

Regards,

TokenEntry

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Between you and @lesniewv and @TokenEntry -- I have some good new ammo sources! Wow,  the price of the Aguila SV, even with a shipping fee is even a better deal than TargetsportsUSA with FREE shipping... which is where I was looking! 

OK, no more ammo purchasing sources needed, folks...I have plenty. I'm going to bookmark all of these. Thx.

Right now, I only want to hear from someone if they have this ammo and are willing to swap a few boxes of it. Thanks!  If I can't find any, I'll just order a small amount and eat the shipping charge.

Peel, is your pistol semi-automatic or bolt action? (I would assume semi). The reason I ask is because semi's almost always need HV ammo, or they won't cycle properly and will not lock back after the last round is fired. Just something to think about.

10 minutes ago, AdamM said:

Peel, is your pistol semi-automatic or bolt action? (I would assume semi). The reason I ask is because semi's almost always need HV ammo, or they won't cycle properly and will not lock back after the last round is fired. Just something to think about.

Nope, it's semi-auto but works beautifully with the CCI standard velocity. I don't have any cycling problems with it at all. Thank you though!

I can give you a hundred rounds or so if you just want to try them out. I have a decent supply of them. They feel like they are a little less snappy then the CCI but they cycle my S&w Victory fine... 

-Jim

1 hour ago, JimB1 said:

I can give you a hundred rounds or so if you just want to try them out. I have a decent supply of them. They feel like they are a little less snappy then the CCI but they cycle my S&w Victory fine... 

-Jim

I'll PM you... see if we can arrange something.

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Ohhh! Aren't you clever! :D What kind of shooting do you do btw?

While I'm waiting, I'm going to tag @10X on this (I've made him my "designated guy" for bullseye questions) - maybe he can weigh in on the mini-mags also. 

Almost everything I shoot is standard velocity, so I don't have a lot of experience with the various high velocity loads on the market.   Mini-mags have long had a sterling reputation though.   I've not heard anything either way about the Agila Super Extra High Velocity stuff.   I've got some of the latter, and also some Aquila sub sonic...I just haven't had a chance to shoot either of them yet.  

I remain a big fan of CCI Standard Velocity, because it performs great for the price, and also because I've got a finicky bullseye gun that malfunctions too often with anything else.

Btw, far as supersonic vs subsonic goes (HV vs SV) the issue seems to be the distance at which a supersonic drops to subsonic. When it does, the sonic wave behind it creates turbulence which pushes the then slower moving projectile off target. At what point in the shot this happens depends on the barrel length, the propellant, bullet mass, air current and temperature. Most bullseye guys, especially outdoor ones at longer distances prefer subsonic because there is never a concern that at some point midway to the target the bullet is going to do something unpredictable. This goes for 22 precision rifle too. 

The flip side of this for really long distance shooters, like army sharpshooters, is that you need velocity to make distances measured in miles so subsonic doesn’t cut it. Most of the time those types of shooters are using their own recipies for the distance they need to shoot to stay supersonic all the way though the target to reduce that turbulence effect. 

If you are only shooting bullseye at 25 yards indoors, velocity is not an issue. The consistency of load may be though and a lot of HV 22 ammo is not consistent and you get under/over power and tumbling among other effects so a good consistent HV ammo is just as good as CCI SV for indoor 25 yards but finding one is just as costly as just using CCI SV. The other part is HV has a touch more recoil. So why use HV that is going to cost as much as a comparable SV load and have marginally more recoil? So CCI makes a ton from us bullseye guys for making a decent, consistent, SV at a good price compared to Eley or Laupa or the other premium makers. Aguila is trying to get in on the action with the SuperExtra and they are doing a good job too. I like the CCI just a hair better but I use both.

At least that is how I understand all the theory of HV vs SV, might be completely wrong :)

-Jim