bmd11

Storing Firearms at Someone Else's House?

Afternoon all,

My wife and I will be selling our house, and moving in with my parents temporarily while we find a new place.  My folks don't have a ton of space left over (we already filled up most of their house with our junk!), so I'm trying to figure out where to store my collection (which all fits in a small 10-long-gun safe) while we're staying with them.  I've had a couple offers from friends (all of whom I trust) to let me keep my safe at their places, which are in NJ.  What's the legality of storing my firearms at a residence where I don't reside?  The safe would be locked and they wouldn't have access to the combination.

Could they, or I, get in any hot water for having my guns at their house?  Or would it just be better and less complicated if I found some space to cram the safe into my folks' place while we're living there?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

IMO you're okay if you take the guns to wherever and as long as no one has the combo to your safe you're okay.  It would be the same as taking your guns to a storage facility.  As long as no one else has the combination and your friend won't say something else if questioned.  A verbal contract is just as binding as a written one.  No need for a phony baloney  $1 a month lease agreement.  

3 hours ago, jtd771 said:

Gun Sitters in Whiopany. Take all the guess work and fear out of it. It'll be wth the money in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

IMO the situation described by the OP doesn't need Gun Sitters.  If you have a verbal contract with someone who will not be able to access your guns it's the same as if you rented a storage unit.

However, if one is someone has enough paranoia about this spend your money at Gun Sitters.

9 hours ago, jtd771 said:

Gun Sitters in Whiopany. Take all the guess work and fear out of it. It'll be wth the money in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP.  I strongly recommend you consider using Gunsitters for peace of mind. I won’t elaborate here on the many reasons why that is a good idea. There are other past threads here on the topic. I used them when I went on vacation last year. Plus the cost is minimal in the larger context of selling and buying a home.