maintenanceguy

NJSP Requiring Fingerprints for Subsequent P2P Permits?

I get my permits through the Bridgeton NJSP station.  I've done several rounds of permits over the last 10 years.  They used to have a criminal background check form that got filled out.  A few years ago, that form went away and the background check was done online.  I just picked up a packet.  It now says that fingerprints are required.  I don't think I've had to be re-fingerprinted in 20 years.  My fingerprints are already on file, I have to submit copies of my DL, SS Card, and FID to prove my ID.  I know other departments have required prints to be done each time but NJSP hasn't.

Has anyone else noticed this change?  I plan to call the trooper in charge of permits on Monday to get clarification.

Bernards Township does the same. They call it part of their background check. Reality is it’s just another scheduling and financial obstacle. They require if it’s been more than 1 year since you’ve been printed.

http://www.bernards.org/Police/Document/2012/Firearms%20Instructions.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I will find out when I go to the Hamilton barracks to pick up my paperwork for a new permit, I will let you know.

I have gotten several P2Ps and an address change on my FID over the past 5 years and have not needed to be finger printed, they told me that my original printing for my original FID was sufficient.

Tell them its not necessary to keep getting reprinted because your prints never change and Dick Tracy told us so and he knows his shit! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 8:53 AM, bhunted said:

Tell them its not necessary to keep getting reprinted because your prints never change and Dick Tracy told us so and he knows his shit! emoji6.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This.

They're going to be the same...every time.

Turns out I had the wrong application packet.  I talked to the trooper in charge today.  If you already have a FID card, you do the background check online for $20 and don't need to be fingerprinted again.   Another tragedy averted.

• Like 3

Its about time they did this.  We all know that finger prints change every three to six months, that is why they can never be used to identify a person.  Oh wait, that can't be right :)

• Like 1

Bernards Township does the same. They call it part of their background check. Reality is it’s just another scheduling and financial obstacle. They require if it’s been more than 1 year since you’ve been printed.

http://www.bernards.org/Police/Document/2012/Firearms%20Instructions.pdf

So if you simply apply for new permits every year then you don't need prints. Which is ridiculous that they require new prints period being they are on electronic file.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Manalapan PD, when I got my P2Ps last year, told me they now require fresh finger prints every 5 years. Not sure if it's a township issue or an NJSP requirement, but manalapan is pretty conservative so I would guess it's an NJSP requirement.

Could be someone high in the food chain got an under the table offer by the fingerprint company, don't remember the name, to send business their way.

19 minutes ago, capt14k said:

So if you simply apply for new permits every year then you don't need prints. Which is ridiculous that they require new prints period being they are on electronic file.

No. 

i agree that is how it reads, but that was not their intent and they issued an update.

If the prints are more than 1 year old, a new set is required. 

Manalapan PD, when I got my P2Ps last year, told me they now require fresh finger prints every 5 years. Not sure if it's a township issue or an NJSP requirement, but manalapan is pretty conservative so I would guess it's an NJSP requirement.
Could be someone high in the food chain got an under the table offer by the fingerprint company, don't remember the name, to send business their way.
Llyod didn't mention that to me. Shockingly I should have my permits within 3 months. Last Monday everything was back and he said he would have on the chiefs desk this week. I will ask when I pick them up.

I use the Port Norris NJSP and just put in paperwork for a permit on Jan 23rd. They did not require me to reprint. I got permits last year, the previous year and 3 years priori to that. No prints. Last time I got printed for NJ was over 15 years ago when my address changed for my FID card. I was printed 2 years ago but that was for my Florida conceal carry permit.

On 3/17/2018 at 9:41 PM, bhunted said:

Just a guess but they switched to electronic prints years ago. Maybe they want everything electronic.

So they can just make an electronic copy of the original.

• Like 1

Likely just obstructionist tactics. The average IQ of the NJSP is unlikely to reach triple digits so they play the hand  they have as dictated by their political masters in the legislature. They swear an oath to the Constitution but suck the schwazool of those who dispense pensions and benefits.