jm1827

Pheasant Recipes?

I take the breast meat, cut it off the bone and make some small cubes with 'em.

Season to taste - salt/pepper/garlic powder/Goya Adobo seasoning

Wrap each cube with a half a piece of bacon, then put it on a skewer.

You can grill 'em up like this, or put in the oven and broil.  

• Like 1

If you have never dressed a bird, here's a tip.  Get yourself a brick or two of paraffin wax.  Melt the wax in water, you don't need to boil it, just melt it.  Fill a 5 gallon bucket about half way with very hot water and add the melted wax to the bucket.  Hold the head and dip the bird in the bucket and slowly pull the bird out.  You want a thick coating of wax on the feathers so you may have to dip it more than once.  Let the wax firm up and then peel it off like you would peel an orange.  Most of the feathers will come off with the wax.  You will probably need to repeat it once more to get the pin feathers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

Awesome- thanks everyone!  My wife is 100% against me cooking any game meat so I have to make sure my first pheasant dinner comes out good!

My wife sounds just like your wife. She tasted some of the bacon wrapped orange glazed pheasant breast and said it tasted good. She still won't eat it though LOL

Our daughter loves it too and she is only 2 

If you want to try just the pheasant breasts, marinate them overnight in orange juice. Remove from the fridge the next day, pat dry, warm to room temperature then grill on an open grill for a few minutes seasoned with a little olive oil, S&P. 

Grouse, quail, then dove are still my favorite game birds to eat in that order. 

Here's one with an Eye-Talian flair:

Using 2 pheasants, cut meat off breast bones into smaller pieces and place on the side.  Use the ugly, misshapen pieces too.  Chop 1/2 onion and scoop a heaping teaspoon of chopped garlic in oil and pan saute together in a 10" cast iron skillet with a coating of EVOO.  Simmer until onions are soft but not burnt.  Start a pot of pasta water & bring to a good boil as you begin to saute.  Add pheasant meat to cast iron skillet using a coating of EVOO, garlic, oregano & a touch of basil as you "stir-fry" on low heat, turning often to ensure done-ness on all sides.  Blare yer favorite Eye-Talian sing-along to add to the fun!  "Alexa, play Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin"!  Add one 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes & one small can of diced tomatoes to the skillet & bring to a satisfying simmer, stirring to make sure it's evenly heated & well-mixed.  Add your favorite pasta shape to boiling water & cook till you like it, then strain pasta.  Finish bringing skillet to final temp, then plate pasta & spoon pheasant GRAVY (hey, I call it GRAVY!  You may prefer sauce!) over pasta & serve with a nice semolina or twist bread & butter.  Serves 3 GAVONES or up to 4-5 "normal people".  

For creative flair, add some red wine about 1/2 way thru like Clemenza did in "Godfather" movie :)   And pour a glass for yourself cause you done GOOD!  Kapiche?

My Pheasant Chili Recipe:

PHEASANT CHILI IS WHAT'S FOR DINNER AT ROSEY'S!

Recipe:
In a 7 qt. Crock Pot, mix-in the following:
4 cans of dark red kidney beans
1 bag of frozen chopped onions (or 1 1/2 fresh)
1 bag of frozen chopped peppers
2- 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
1 pkg of Chili mix
extra garlic powder, chili powder, paprika & cumin to taste
3 pheasant breasts, chopped to various sizes, then sautéed in a frying pan w/ EVOO (I prefer cast iron)

Sauté pheasant pieces in EVOO in frying pan. Mix meat, beans, crushed tomatoes, peppers, onions & spices in Crock Pot. Cook on high setting for 9 hours OR put in a 350* oven for 2 1/4 hrs, stirring at 1:15 elapsed time. Makes enough for a family to have seconds. Best served with shredded cheese of your choice, mixed into each bowl individually. Add fresh baked good (Pillsbury Grands) & butter for the finishing touch! Enjoy!