fishnut

Need computer advice

I need a new home computer and know little to nothing about computers. Don't really use it for much just doing bills and general online viewing. No gaming or anything like that. I'm thinking that maybe a laptop would better suit our needs than a desktop. I know they're limited on storage but everything's stored on the cloud so not really worried about that. What do you guys think about this one? Looking to spend 1500 Max. Are there any others that anyone here would recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B7GV1C2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521473790&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=air%2Bmacbook&dpPl=1&dpID=51GRACqhHbL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I prefer a desktop.  More reliable, easier to maintain and large monitor for old eyes.  You can pick up a decent compact desktop PC for well under $700.00 and a nice big monitor (that doubles as a streaming TV/Movie screen) for about $300.00.

EDIT:  btw, I do not trust the "cloud"  I back up all my data locally on thumb drives.

• Like 2

As much as I dont like "Apple" in other areas, I moved to Macbook Pro about 3 years ago and never looked back. Works rock solid, compatible with streaming and what not and upgrades are always included and free. 

I bought a used / late model Macbook Pro 15inch, with retina display, 256G SSD and 8 GB ram for about $900 - private seller. 

Regularly backup important stuff to external drive.

Get firefox (or chrome) for browsing, install couple of those privacy extensions / ad blockers.

Secure your network and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

$1500 will get you a lot of laptop.  

If you want a laptop, what size are you looking for?  Weight?  Durability?

Do you need to do word processing, spreadsheets, etc?  Worried about security?  

There's plenty of ways to go...  

Not really much word processing. Yes on spreadsheets. Not too worried about security but I probably should be, are laptops less secure than desktops?

Only reason I'm thinking a laptop it's so I don't have to have a dedicated space in the house for it

2 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

As much as I dont like "Apple" in other areas, I moved to Macbook Pro about 3 years ago and never looked back. Works rock solid, compatible with streaming and what not and upgrades are always included and free. 

I bought a used / late model Macbook Pro 15inch, with retina display, 256G SSD and 8 GB ram for about $900 - private seller. 

Regularly backup important stuff to external drive.

Get firefox (or chrome) for browsing, install couple of those privacy extensions / ad blockers.

Secure your network and you should be good to go.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm not an Apple guy either but my buddy has had the same apple computer 4 years and in the same amount of time I've been through two PC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fishnut said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm not an Apple guy either but my buddy has had the same apple computer 4 years and in the same amount of time I've been through two PC. 

Same happened to me before. I still have couple of physically broken windows laptops sitting around. For my kinda use :-), I like the Macbook Pro build.

6 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you do go the laptop rout, i highly recommend getting one with a SSD (Solid State Drive) It has no moving parts.  Laptop HDDs are the least reliable of mechanical storage.

Good to know!

8 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Not really much word processing. Yes on spreadsheets. Not too worried about security but I probably should be, are laptops less secure than desktops?

Only reason I'm thinking a laptop it's so I don't have to have a dedicated space in the house for it

Yes in that case, get a Laptop.  Macbooks are fine but a lot more expensive than a PC Laptop.

Macbook Air 13" with a 256GB SSD is $1199 (+ Tax).

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air?product=MQD42LL/A&step=config#

Since you have a little one, the AppleCare 3 year warranty is an extra $249.00

With tax that's already at over $1500.  That also doesn't include Microsoft Office if you're doing spreadsheets...

14 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Yes in that case, get a Laptop.  Macbooks are fine but a lot more expensive than a PC Laptop.

Macbook Air 13" with a 256GB SSD is $1199 (+ Tax).

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air?product=MQD42LL/A&step=config#

Since you have a little one, the AppleCare 3 year warranty is an extra $249.00

With tax that's already at over $1500.  That also doesn't include Microsoft Office if you're doing spreadsheets...

Humm apple care.......good call!

The one I linked is the same computer on Amazon. Can I get Applecare if I buy on Amazon?

Thanks guys I don't know shit about computers!

9 hours ago, fishnut said:

I need a new home computer and know little to nothing about computers. Don't really use it for much just doing bills and general online viewing. No gaming or anything like that. I'm thinking that maybe a laptop would better suit our needs than a desktop.

For what you need it to do, don't spend the extra money on a Mac. It's not worth the cost. For half of what you're looking to spend, you can get a nice PC with more storage then you'll ever use. Definitely get a laptop, not a desktop, then you can move it all over the house and use it when sitting on the couch.

I can't tell you the number of people who got "scammed" into buying a MAC based on what other people told them, only to be pissed off later on.

Beware of Apple Fan Boys.

9 hours ago, fishnut said:

You can't base it on that. Everyone uses a computer differently, so trying to determine "longevity" based on two different users, is like comparing apples to bullets.

10 hours ago, fishnut said:

I need a new home computer and know little to nothing about computers. Don't really use it for much just doing bills and general online viewing. No gaming or anything like that. I'm thinking that maybe a laptop would better suit our needs than a desktop. I know they're limited on storage but everything's stored on the cloud so not really worried about that. What do you guys think about this one? Looking to spend 1500 Max. Are there any others that anyone here would recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B7GV1C2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521473790&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=air%2Bmacbook&dpPl=1&dpID=51GRACqhHbL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Robust  tablet is likely more than you will every need especially if you don't know anything about computers. 

Not knowing anything about computers indicates to me that you most likely don't need the horsepower or most of the functions that a real machine gives. 

Surfing,  light spreadsheets email word processing etc.  Can all be done via tablet 

• Like 1

Robust  tablet is likely more than you will every need especially if you don't know anything about computers. 
Not knowing anything about computers indicates to me that you most likely don't need the horsepower or most of the functions that a real machine gives. 
Surfing,  light spreadsheets email word processing etc.  Can all be done via tablet 

I agree. In which case an iPad would be the way to go. I hate Apple but I prefer the iPad over Android Tablets. Perfect size for browsing and even watching YouTube and Streaming TV or Movies.

On a side note Android phones are light-years ahead of iPhone. Takes 3 button presses to do what Android does in one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Personally dislike laptops, but if that works for you, by all means, go for one. I would never pick Apple (anything) because I've always disliked them, but again, personal preference.  My desktop with a SSD is as fast to boot up from power off as resuming Windows is on a HDD based laptop.

I'd suggest something like a mini PC, connected to a TV.  Wireless keyboard and mouse.  Maybe supplemented with a tablet/ipad.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=10&N=100019096 600014723 601190658 601190663 601190668 601286690 601304715 601310877 600014730 601190659 601190665 601190660 601286692 601304710 601310873 600014733 601190673 601190677 601190683 601286691 601309551 4814 600537266 601115220 600528688 600015154 600015149 600015155 600015158 8000&IsNodeId=1&IsPowerSearch=1

Hopefully the link works with the search options I selected...  Plenty of mini options out there

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Not a bad suggestion, but he needs to determine how much typing he actually does. Typing on a tablet sucks unless you use a bluetooth, separate keyboard. There are laptops available today that also have swipe screens like tablets, so he can get the best of both worlds with one of them.

I think you are best of with a desktop in terms of price, power, and upgrade-ability.  When something breaks in a desktop you can usually replace a board but when the same happens in a notebook you generally put it in the garbage.  As far as Windows versus MAC, you pay more for equivalent hardware in a MAC - a lot more.

That said you should check out Dell refurbished machines.  They have their own website for these and they are typically machines that have come off corporate lease that are about two years old.  Most are high end machines that have been brought up to like new condition.  They grade them A and B cosmetically, I bought a B machine recently and it looked as good or better than machines that are new.  You can normally find codes on the web to get them for 40-50% off the already highly discounted prices.  I bought a powerful notebook this way about six months ago for a little over $200.

• Like 1

We have currently a Lenovo laptop ( mine)

A toshiba laptop hers( hers)

older lenovo Home pc.

both laptops are touchscreen. But I rarely use that feature. Everything from scanning receipts, invoicing, book keeping.  You can get a lot of computer in the $500 to $600 Range. 

Tiger and egghead are good places to find deals. Amazon have found doesn’t always have good prices 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fishnut said:

Thanks guys we will take a look at some tablets 

Tablets are handy for travelers or streaming video but I find them too small for every day computing.  Don't get me wrong, I think they are great and would not be without one, but I would not use it as my primary computer.

Folks - we are missing the basic tenet of what the USER wants for their system:

" know little to nothing about computers. Don't really use it for much just doing bills and general online viewing. No gaming or anything like that. "

Having him in ANY kind of machine other than a tablet makes NO sense - none whatsoever.

I just went through this with my father in law - always had to by the latest MAC's - he used it for web - email - pictures - bills etc.

He now has the latest IPAD now with a remote keyboard - and loves it - small light - instant on - and does everything he wants to do with it.

Now for me I love my Android Tablet - my android phone - BUT I am also running an HP workstation Zbook now as I have Email- Autocad - Web - and a spreadsheet open -the OP USER does none of that - why suggest wasting his money on anything OTHER than a tablet.......on an item that he will NEVER likely use the functions/software/apps of.... ???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

That is preposterous.  He can make due with a DEC PDP-11

Well I guess you're right. A HP 1000 M/E/F Series would do as well. I still  have the SPL and assembler code for the OS if he needs it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlYTkjkWviO-bU9vhReVW

54 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Tablets are handy for travelers or streaming video but I find them too small for every day computing.  Don't get me wrong, I think they are great and would not be without one, but I would not use it as my primary computer.

OK, so to be serious about the topic I agree with this. You can get a refurbished and warrantied hp Elite style desktop with a i7 processor, SSD, 8GB and Windows 10 Pro for under $400. Couple that with a monitor and that's more than enough for daily browsing or office work. I find my tablet to be much slower to use in practice and the screen too small for volume work.

Of course the tablet is handy to have around the house for convenience or to go mobile. I bought a MS Surface last year and I'm happy with it, except the battery life sucks. But I don't mind that because 'mobile' for me means another house somewhere, not an airplane, train or car.

Ok so the wife is not so keen on the tablet idea and she is the one who is going to be using this about 99% of the time (I'm always on my phone). 

From your guys advice it looks like the apple more than we need. The wife is now looking at chrome books? Any recommendations or suggestions on ones to stay away from? 

I know I'm all over the place with choices.