fishnut

Moving company recommendations

I am moving on April 2 and I am using Allied Simonik  out of Bound Brook. I'll let you know how it goes after they unload and I see how they did. They are picking up on April 2 and delivering on April 6th. Some companies charge extra if they are busy to have a delay like this, so check with them. Good luck.

• Like 1

Bump.

Estimate from united but it was through video chat. They have not been getting great reviews online since they went to the video chat estimates. You don't get an actual price till they load up everything, many of the reviews it's a few thousand more than the estimate. 

Estimate from American was through a phone conversation only. The salesman is trying to pressure me into signing with them by telling me that he turned down 2 jobs because he's waiting on me. I hope he's not holding his breath. 

Allied is sending someone out on Monday to give a price. 

• Like 1

What a bunch of crap. Can see I’ll be chewing these idiots out. Thank you technology.
You know how they give estimates to do my roof? Google Earth.
Argh... [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 8:10 PM, bhunted said:

What a bunch of crap. Can see I’ll be chewing these idiots out. Thank you technology.
You know how they give estimates to do my roof? Google Earth.
Argh... emoji35.png

The cost to give accurate estimates out by sending a guy out to every house is insane. Too many people just curious that love seeing "free estimate signs". My buddy is lucky that 90% of his calls are referrals so its almost guaranteed... otherwise, F that... pay a trained guy to drive around all day for a single roof job? No thanks. Ill use google earth if im not within 15 minutes. lol

The cost to give accurate estimates out by sending a guy out to every house is insane. Too many people just curious that love seeing "free estimate signs". My buddy is lucky that 90% of his calls are referrals so its almost guaranteed... otherwise, F that... pay a trained guy to drive around all day for a single roof job? No thanks. Ill use google earth if im not within 15 minutes. lol

Thats fine but he didn’t get my business either. Gave it to someone else that actually came out. But lets not derail this thread any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Along these same lines has any used PODS rather than a commercial mover?  From what I understand they give it to you for up to a month, so you can load it up at your leisure.  They then pick it up and take it to your new location or will store it for you until you are ready for it.

12 minutes ago, Howard said:

Along these same lines has any used PODS rather than a commercial mover?  From what I understand they give it to you for up to a month, so you can load it up at your leisure.  They then pick it up and take it to your new location or will store it for you until you are ready for it.

We might end up going this route

Only issue is that since you pack it you had better strap down or secure things properly so nothing shifts and gets damaged during transport. I'd also have to higher help to unpack it once in NH. Not out of the question though. 

I've had some experience with the moving containers, not PODS but RatPack. We couldnt use pods because they needed a minimum driveway width which we (in-laws) didnt have because of a raised curb on one side and landscaping on the other. Their containers are on remote controled free wheeled carriages. RatPack is boomed straight off the back and lowered with the on board crane. The tricky part to that is the loading/unloading process needs a signifigant stretch of driveway/road to work with iirc 55'-60'(truck + container) which almost screwed is during off loading in FL. Yes you are responsible foe loading/ unloading container but they give you plenty of time, iirc 1 month from droppoff to p/u but dont quote me on that and there is weight restrictions which you wont know untill the on-board scale tells you....The labor I used was from some referals Ratpack listed, they were not affiliated with RP but were local. They worked hard cleared out the house in 3 hrs, ($400?)far less than I thought and they do have a minimum which is fair.. Then of course you need labor to offload too but I believe in the end thousands of $ was saved. Every move is different but this is what we did and all in all worked out fine.

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Let us know how you make out with Allied.... My back can't move a whole house on my own otherwise, I'd do PODS....

Just signed with them. They gave a binding price quote while the others were just estimates. We're under the minimum weight so we will pay the minimum. $5200 and change which includes 60k full replacement insurance. If they find another job going to the same area they will pair them up and then our price will go down but it can not go up even if were over weight. 

29 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Just signed with them. They gave a binding price quote while the others were just estimates. We're under the minimum weight so we will pay the minimum. $5200 and change which includes 60k full replacement insurance. If they find another job going to the same area they will pair them up and then our price will go down but it can not go up even if were over weight. 

Thanks.... Very cool. From where to where? Full Sevice? Packing? etc.....

11 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Thanks.... Very cool. From where to where? Full Sevice? Packing? etc.....

Lebanon/Flemington nj to Bartlett nh light packing but most of it is in boxes already. They are loading the contents of my 10×30 storage unit and then coming to my mom's house to load the rest of our stuff then driving it all to the new house in NH and unloading it all into the house. 

That's less than half the distance. Its about 800 miles one way for me. Plus with the exception of guns and junk, I'd pack that and haul it myself.... Most estimates I get seem to be $10G or so, plus or minus a couple Gs...

Yeesh. Told my wife, just lets donate or throw out everything and buy brand new when we get there. Seems cheaper that way. Its only 2 of us and a dog. Sounds like Allied is the way to go.... Thanks.

I just called pods and was surprised at the price, cheaper than I thought it would be.  For their biggest unit which is 16' by 8' by 8' and holds 857 cuft the total price for my needs was just over $3,000.  That is comprised of the delivery here, the pickup here and a month of total rental time for $550 which include $10K in insurance - obviously one would want more.  Then the transport from here to the Jacksonville area in Florida would be $2,400 and then the local delivery and pickup of the empty unit would be $130.  If I needed more time it would be an addition $289/month for extra rental time.  I asked about restriction in what goes in it and weight limits.  They said weight is not an issue.  They had one guy put three big heavy safes in it, one for guns, one for valuables, and one for something else.  She started out by saying no guns, but then said the guy with the safe took the guns apart.  Did not ever ask about ammo, but since you load it and lock it up they really have no way of knowing what you put in it.  The biggest issue is that if you put a lawn mower in it they want to make sure you drain it so gasoline does not leak.

Oh and they said there are eyehooks in the unit every four inches so you can tie down and secure stuff.

Howards post just reminded me, the Ratpack container did not have ample tiedowns, There may have been a few? but mostly it was an annoying process of sneaking rope behind the metal "studs" that support the walls. You'd think it would be standard to have them lined along the walls and floor. Maybe other boxes had them but this one didnt.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:10 PM, bdhszy1 said:

I am moving on April 2 and I am using Allied Simonik  out of Bound Brook. I'll let you know how it goes after they unload and I see how they did. They are picking up on April 2 and delivering on April 6th. Some companies charge extra if they are busy to have a delay like this, so check with them. Good luck.

I used Simonek when I moved to NYC and FL.  I was very impressed, great crew, very professional and no issues.   

• Like 1

One gotcha to look out for--hopefully it is an uncommon one, but it bit me in the butt.

I made an in-state move some years ago.   i don't even remember what company I used.  Well in advance of the move, I asked about moving firearms.   Yes, you can argue that asking is never a good idea when guns are involved, but I wanted to be sure there wouldn't be an issue if a claim needed to be made (and I've rarely made a move that didn't result in a claim).  The home office was great, said there wouldn't be any problem at all, I needed to make sure they were unloaded, of course, but they moved firearms all the time.

The move either happened on a weekend, or late in the day and by the time they got to the guns, the home office was closed.   And the driver insisted that no way, no how, were they allowed to move guns.   Not if they packed them, not if I packed them, they couldn't have them on the truck.   And the home office wasn't reachable...

And so very late one evening, I found myself making an unplanned road trip with a trunkload of loose guns (because I'd been left no packing materials in the empty home).

So if the movers are planning to move the guns, get something in writing up front.  Because your driver just might be an idiot.

• Like 1

Nobody moves mine but me. They can move the safe. That is all. I will dismantle all of them, remove bolts and pins and away they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@10X you need to disclose to them mover the shipment contains firearms.  They will go over all the serial numbers so that when they are returned they can prove they are all there.  Some won’t move firearms at all.  I moved all of mine myself.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

@10X you need to disclose to them mover the shipment contains firearms.  They will go over all the serial numbers so that when they are returned they can prove they are all there.  Some won’t move firearms at all.  I moved all of mine myself.  

Yeah allied had no issue with moving the guns but I'd rather be in possession of them the entire time. Just going to empty the safe, put it in the uhaul enclosed trailer and then place all the guns back inside the safe, fill it with paper or packing peanuts and drive them north. 

Yeah allied had no issue with moving the guns but I'd rather be in possession of them the entire time. Just going to empty the safe, put it in the uhaul enclosed trailer and then place all the guns back inside the safe, fill it with paper or packing peanuts and drive them north. 

Make sure you go straight to your new home. Won’t take much for someone to steal the trailer. Even my way is scary....
I have a pickup. They will be encased and bolted down.
Either way, drive safe. No accidents. Don’t need any unwanted intervention.

• Like 1