fishnut

Moving company recommendations

On the other hand, if they would move them locked inside the safe, that might not too bad. Still, remove bolts and pins and any other way to make them unusable. Take the parts with you.
Make sure the safe goes in tractor trailer first so it gets blocked in. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Make sure you go straight to your new home. Won’t take much for someone to steal the trailer. Even my way is scary....
I have a pickup. They will be encased and bolted down.
Either way, drive safe. No accidents. Don’t need any unwanted intervention.

Yeah only stops will be for gas. My buddy is going with me so if one needs a bathroom break the other can keep an eye on the trailer. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Make sure you go straight to your new home. Won’t take much for someone to steal the trailer. Even my way is scary....
I have a pickup. They will be encased and bolted down.
Either way, drive safe. No accidents. Don’t need any unwanted intervention.

The issue with long haul moves is that if you don’t rent the whole trailer, beaucoup bucks, they make many stops along the way.  You can possibly be first but that doesn’t matter because of the driving time limitations can force them to stop for an overnight.  

I get that but unless they plan on stealing the whole truck, having safe behind cab with whomevers junk is in front, at least its blocked from someone just breaking into trailer. That was my only point. As long as its blocked. Obviously if load permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually in most moving trucks the front of the trailer is only partly blocked as they typically have door toward the front on the side of the truck, so it is not like they have to empty everything from the back of the truck to get to the safe.  But the odds of that are tiny, I think you are good.

My move with Allied went well. The rep that came to my home said no problem shipping firearms, unloaded and no ammo. I packed the long rifles and shotguns in TV boxes and the pistols in one of the close to two hundred other cardboard boxes, I have lots of tools so it weighed about the same as the other boxes. I watched it go on the truck and checked it when it came off, There is no way the movers are going to go through a loaded truck to look for guns or anything else. Has anyone ever heard of a reputable mover being charged with theft of firearms? I think some of you guys need to get out of NJ a little more often. Most gun owners in other states leave a pistol in their console, they can also pump their own gas, ride their motorcycle without a helmet if they chose to do so and buy ammo without filling out a bunch of paperwork. Took me a while to get use to all those "freedoms", (about a week). Spoke to the sheriff and was told it will take about 2-3 weeks to get a carry permit. My only regret is that I lived in NJ for almost 70 years. Get out while you can, cause if you think it is going to get any better in the next ten years, ask yourself, is it better or worse now that it was ten years ago?

• Like 3

I had good luck using Three Men And A Truck last year. It was tricky moving during COVID, but they took a lot of precautions and got the job done on time and as expected. I can't say I've had the same experience with some other movers in the past. It's a real minefield out there so I'd do your research and talk to a few different options before making the call. A lot of bad eggs in the moving industry and it's easy to get taken for a ride if you're not careful.