Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Can you share a precision rifle

Maybe.  Scout/snipers in the military often trade off roles.  Zero may not be exactly the same for each but "close enough for government work".

LE really can't accept a slight variation in zero for liability reasons.

The only way to find out is to try it out.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Maybe.  Scout/snipers in the military often trade off roles.  Zero may not be exactly the same for each but "close enough for government work".

LE really can't accept a slight variation in zero for liability reasons.

The only way to find out is to try it out.

Thanks Griz! Always helpful! Unlike @fishnut

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Let’s say the buttstock is fixed. The biggest thing I think would be the eye relief on the optic between her and I.

The closer the range the less difference there will be.

The bigger the target the less any difference makes.

IIRC there was little, if any difference when you shot my rifles.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GRIZ said:

The closer the range the less difference there will be.

The bigger the target the less any difference makes.

IIRC there was little, if any difference when you shot my rifles.

Yours were irons. I’m talking about a magnified optic and some good distance. Shared between her and I.

58 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Yours were irons. I’m talking about a magnified optic and some good distance. Shared between her and I.

You'll have to try it and see.   If it doesn't work out, you've justified buying another rifle!

I agree, stock fit and eye relief are likely to be the biggest concerns.  The closer the two of you are to being the same size, the more likely it will work.   There will almost certainly be differences in point of impact between any two shooters, just because of the ergonomic differences that will always exist, but that may or may not be noticeable to you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

You'll have to try it and see.   If it doesn't work out, you've justified buying another rifle!

I agree, stock fit and eye relief are likely to be the biggest concerns.  The closer the two of you are to being the same size, the more likely it will work.   There will almost certainly be differences in point of impact between any two shooters, just because of the ergonomic differences that will always exist, but that may or may not be noticeable to you.

Thanks. It was one thing with handguns. Now she’s getting her grubby little fingers into everything!

No, you can't.

My ex loved my Savage 93R17 TR and claimed it was hers. So for a two+ year period, I only got to shoot it if I went alone.

My ex was short enough to fit under my chin, and the same setup on my Savage worked for both of us. Same for other exes/friends, my bolt guns never gave em problems. The guns may not have been ideal for them, but they adapted and shot them fine.

As for actual question, if it is a fixed, non-adjustable stock, it may be an issue, depending on how similar or dissimilar you two are. If it is a bolt gun, maybe consider a stock that can adjust to both of you - comb and LOP (or even a chassis with buffer tube attachment so you can use AR stocks like PRS)? Use a paint pen to color code your individual preferences?

Or get her her own. No one has to share then! 2x rifles, 2x scopes, 2x more mags, 2x more ammo, 1/2 the space in the safe, 2x more cleaning, etc etc etc :p

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Or get her her own. No one has to share then! 2x rifles, 2x scopes, 2x more mags, 2x more ammo, 1/2 the space in the safe, 2x more cleaning, etc etc etc :p

Just like AR's.......

• Like 1

Just get a Ruger Precision, slap a scope on it, and see what happens.  Or, get two Ruger Predators and you each have one, probably cheaper!  Predator vs RPR testing starts soon, both 6.5CM. I'll let you know. Or just get two Thompson Center Compass by 4/30 with a $75 rebate.  Supposed to be under 1 MOA guaranteed.  Not bad places to start.

https://www.smithandwessonrebates.com/#/home

• Like 1

I dunno how the Mrs. feels about rimfires. I seem to be in the minority here when it comes to loving precision rimfires. If my budget allowed, there would be at least an Anschutz 64 sitting in my safe now, but alas, my budget is more Marlin on sale than Anschutz.

That said, a decent Marlin or Savage or CZ .22, decked out with decent glass and a few small upgrades are fun little guns and get you into 100+ yard shooting starting under $500. I run Lapua Center-X, which is expensive stuff ($13/50) *when compared to .22s* but not when compared to centerfire (Federal gold medal match .223 69gr $~21/20 last i got em).

Maybe not for everyone, but I have as much fun with rimfires as I do anything else, and I can afford to shoot a lot more. And it could actually be her gun. Just a thought.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

I dunno how the Mrs. feels about rimfires. I seem to be in the minority here when it comes to loving precision rimfires. If my budget allowed, there would be at least an Anschutz 64 sitting in my safe now, but alas, my budget is more Marlin on sale than Anschutz.

That said, a decent Marlin or Savage or CZ .22, decked out with decent glass and a few small upgrades are fun little guns and get you into 100+ yard shooting starting under $500. I run Lapua Center-X, which is expensive stuff ($13/50) *when compared to .22s* but not when compared to centerfire (Federal gold medal match .223 69gr $~21/20 last i got em).

Maybe not for everyone, but I have as much fun with rimfires as I do anything else, and I can afford to shoot a lot more. And it could actually be her gun. Just a thought.

That’s the problem. She tried my built 10/22 for first time while I was shooting clays. Her father was with her. Stafford forge Wma. “ ooooh, I like this...” I cringe when hear that.

59 minutes ago, T Bill said:

Just get a Ruger Precision, slap a scope on it, and see what happens.  Or, get two Ruger Predators and you each have one, probably cheaper!  Predator vs RPR testing starts soon, both 6.5CM. I'll let you know. Or just get two Thompson Center Compass by 4/30 with a $75 rebate.  Supposed to be under 1 MOA guaranteed.  Not bad places to start.

https://www.smithandwessonrebates.com/#/home

Curious on the rpr vs predator.

Hard to say what options are available without knowing what rifle you are referring to. Is this a bolt action or SA rifle? One option I may suggest is if the rifle has a 1913 picatinny rail you can purchase a quick detach scope mount to adjust for eye relief and such. I don't think there is anyway around the issue without throwing money at it.

Regards,

TokenEntry

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TokenEntry said:

Hard to say what options are available without knowing what rifle you are referring to. Is this a bolt action or SA rifle? One option I may suggest is if the rifle has a 1913 picatinny rail you can purchase a quick detach scope mount to adjust for eye relief and such. I don't think there is anyway around the issue without throwing money at it.

Regards,

TokenEntry

Was thinking qd also and it will be an rpr. But at that point, might as well jus get 2 precision systems.

Why not? If shooting with iron sights the sight picture is either correct or not with any shooter.  If shooting with a scope your scope will need to have an adjustable objective. Then if adjusted correctly it will shoot the same for any shooter. Check out this article on parallax. The only consideration between shooters is comfort. It is assumed the scope is quality and mounted correctly .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NJJim said:

Why not? If shooting with iron sights the sight picture is either correct or not with any shooter.  If shooting with a scope your scope will need to have an adjustable objective. Then if adjusted correctly it will shoot the same for any shooter. Check out this article on parallax. The only consideration between shooters is comfort. It is assumed the scope is quality and mounted correctly .

Parallax is not the only issue. Eyebox, NPA etc etc are all issues. This is what makes sharing difficult IF your both trying to achieve bug hole precision for extended shooting sessions. If she has to crane her neck or completely pull out of a NPA it will affect the results. This could be aided by an adjustable stock but, I cant stand changing any of my settings once its right for me. Hell it takes me forever to get my seat right in my truck after an oil change done by a midget let alone the super duper amount of adjustment of a stock system.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Parallax is not the only issue. Eyebox, NPA etc etc are all issues. This is what makes sharing difficult IF your both trying to achieve bug hole precision for extended shooting sessions. If she has to crane her neck or completely pull out of a NPA it will affect the results. This could be aided by an adjustable stock but, I cant stand changing any of my settings once its right for me. Hell it takes me forever to get my seat right in my truck after an oil change done by a midget let alone the super duper amount of adjustment of a stock system.

Lol! I hear ya! I’ll jus set it up for me. And tell her she’s not as good.. jus cuz

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

I agree with the issues you mention. But, they are to do with the rifle fitting the shooter. "Comfort".

Perhaps we use a bit different terminology. I dont consider some of these "comfort" items. For example, eye box. Not really a comfort thing so much as it is being set up correctly to function. I pick my scope position on my rail, for example, by finding my NPA shooting prone and then I find it shooting sitting. Then I split the difference between the two so that I can have a good eyebox for different positions. Many people set up their scope for the bench and then cant figure out why they are all out of sorts when they go prone.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Perhaps we use a bit different terminology. I dont consider some of these "comfort" items. For example, eye box. Not really a comfort thing so much as it is being set up correctly to function. I pick my scope position on my rail, for example, by finding my NPA shooting prone and then I find it shooting sitting. Then I split the difference between the two so that I can have a good eyebox for different positions. Many people set up their scope for the bench and then cant figure out why they are all out of sorts when they go prone.

Hmmn. Solid knowledge here! Keep it coming!