almiz111

Trap and skeet guns

I would like to  try trap / skeet  at my range. I have a self defense pump 12 gauge.  Said range has outlawed my gun. Holds more than two shells and has pistol grip. 

I know how to shoot safely. I know my gun is NOT a skeet gun. (Who cares??) But I just want to have some fun. No intention to shoot in any official  match.

So somebody tell me reasonably and logically why my gun is forbidden.  Said range has no answer.    It appears they are like maybe NJ - arbitrary, unreasonable, etc.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, almiz111 said:

I would like to  try trap / skeet  at my range. I have a self defense pump 12 gauge.  Said range has outlawed my gun. Holds more than two shells and has pistol grip. 

What range has a stupid rule like that?

I am assuming because it is self defense firearm, don't sit well with trap shooters wrong type of gun for the sport. Makes it look like you are not taking it seriously and or mocking them. serious trap shooters will have single shot gun for single stages and either over under or side by side for double stages.

Maybe look into an over under that will not break the budget, stoeger condor, cz, tristar, huglu there are a lot of over unders made under the huglu brand made in turkey. or even side by side.

I actually just ordered Tristar O/U from GSS in 28ga.

You can pick up used reasonable, I purchased 20 ga stevens side by side for 75 bucks been a while but deals can be found if you look and stevens are also low end but very nice.

3 hours ago, tony357 said:

I am assuming because it is self defense firearm, don't sit well with trap shooters wrong type of gun for the sport. Makes it look like you are not taking it seriously and or mocking them. serious trap shooters will have single shot gun for single stages and either over under or side by side for double stages.

Maybe look into an over under that will not break the budget.

Or maybe the op can tell us the name of the range so we can tell them to stop being pussies.

I'm okay with the range limiting the number of rounds loaded for shooting clays, but the pistol grip thing is just stupid, who cares, pistol grips are LEGAL on a pump shotgun.

16 minutes ago, gfl216 said:

Or maybe the op can tell us the name of the range so we can tell them to stop being pussies.

I'm okay with the range limiting the number of rounds loaded for shooting clays, but the pistol grip thing is just stupid, who cares, pistol grips are LEGAL on a pump shotgun.

Example: showing up to Nascar with F-1 to race. There not going to let you. But hey no harm in trying.LOl..

I shot at gibersons with my 1100 other guys I shot with in the group just asked me to only chamber 2 rounds all the traps were two targets. They were all shooting custom berretta's I out shot them on quail and rabbits. 

2 hours ago, tony357 said:

I shot at gibersons with my 1100 other guys I shot with in the group just asked me to only chamber 2 rounds all the traps were two targets. They were all shooting custom berretta's I out shot them on quail and rabbits. 

Like I said, I have no problem with the range limiting the number of rounds loaded depending on the type of shooting that you are doing (IPSC does it depending on the class) but why turn a prospective new shooter away because of the set up of a legal gun. Why not let him shoot and then educate him on the sport and which type of gun works best for that particular discipline.

Well, most of the trap, skeet and sporting clays associations have rules surrounding clothing you can wear at sponsored events ( no jeans, no camo, etc) and weapons you can use. From what I can see they are trying to socially normalize the sport to be like golf or tennis so having tactical gear and weapons at ranges that sponsor or hold events by those associations is frowned upon. 

I don't really agree but I also see their point, get the young professionals that find golf boring but don't want to be associated with tactical ninjas. Make it an upscale sport like golf. Go for the whole day with friends, co workers or clients, have lunch at the clubhouse, shoot expensive shotguns with 7 or 7.5 powder puff target loads. Bring the whole family. That sort of thing...

People will not bring clients to lunch where people have scary black weapons, that's just how it goes. 

-Jim

7 hours ago, tony357 said:

serious trap shooters will have single shot gun for single stages and either over under or side by side for double stages.

Pretty much, though you won't see a serious trap shooter with a side by side, and some pretty good ones will use O/U's for the singles event.

Limits on rounds loaded are universal.  You can only shoot one shot at a single, in American trap, and only two at doubles, wobble, or international events.   And you have to be unloaded when it isn't your turn to shoot.  So it makes no sense to load extra rounds that you can't use, and can't have in the gun between targets.

Really, a 18" barreled cylinder bore SD shotgun with a pistol grip and you want to see if you like trap or skeet?  You do know that the closest distance to the trap house is 16 yards to start and you will be shooting 7 1/2 sized shot?  I cannot fathom why you think that is OK?  They told you no for the same reasons you cannot shoot 22LR at an IDPA, IPSC event.  Why you cannot shoot a PCC at a high power event.  Not the proper equipment for the sport.  If you had a 24" choked barrel (fixed or tubed) and a full size stock, I would say OK, Load singles and we'll give it a try, doubles for skeet.  :think:

@almiz111 Keep an eye out for the next shotgun shootout at the Clinton WMA.  We shoot all kinds of stuff there, including the type of shotty you have and other non trap/skeet guns like the Mossberg Shockwave.

I'll say this though, I doubt you will be pleased with the performance of your shotty in it's current configuration.  If you want to try it just for the sake of trying it, that is your prerogative.  It can be useful to push a gun beyond it's practical  limits to find out what it can't do.

If your shotty is a Remington 870 or a Mossy 500 series, you may want to think about buying a longer (28"- 32")threaded barrel and a used set of furniture for those special non HD occasions.  With all the kids tacticoolizing their grampy's shotguns, used stuff can be found at a pretty good price.

We can talk more about this at the Trenton rally.....  You are going, right?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

@almiz111 Keep an eye out for the next shotgun shootout at the Clinton WMA.  We shoot all kinds of stuff there, including the type of shotty you have and other non trap/skeet guns like the Mossberg Shockwave.

I'll say this though, I doubt you will be pleased with the performance of your shotty in it's current configuration.  If you want to try it just for the sake of trying it, that is your prerogative.  It can be useful to push a gun beyond it's practical  limits to find out what it can't do.

If your shotty is a Remington 870 or a Mossy 500 series, you may want to think about buying a longer (28"- 32")threaded barrel and a used set of furniture for those special non HD occasions.  With all the kids tacticoolizing their grampy's shotguns, used stuff can be found at a pretty good price.

We can talk more about this at the Trenton rally.....  You are going, right?

Of course, by the time you have bought a longer barrel and some old wooden stocks....you might as well buy another shotgun!

Looking forward to seeing people on Monday. 

I am glad  that I asked the question. Thank you all  for your reasoned and intelligent answers. I am now more educated. How come said range (14) could not tell me what you guys told me? Strange. At one point they VERY politely told me to find another range. True. LOL. 

Yes I will be at the rally.

A little more... so why don't they outlaw 18 inch barrels?  Seems  that would make sense. The ammo deal is not how many I load. It is the total capacity of the gun.    

So it looks like a little snootery in Skeetery. eh? Well I CAN shoot Hi Power without the 20 lb. shooting coat. They are not up tight. HA.  (Thank you John at CJRPC.)

Clinton WMA - here I come. That will bring me to my shooting senses!!  But I like 'learn by doing' or not. 

So can I shoot my AR at a Garrand match? Just kidding. Just kidding. Just kidding. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, almiz111 said:

A little more... so why don't they outlaw 18 inch barrels?  Seems  that would make sense. The ammo deal is not how many I load. It is the total capacity of the gun.    

Competitive shooting events rarely make rules against things that put you at a competitive disadvantage, so while 18" barrels are going to be almost never seen at a trap or skeet range, I'm unaware of any rules against them.

The RO was just wrong in saying the capacity of the gun was an issue.   Plenty of people shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays with pumps and semi autos, and you don't need to plug the magazine to limit capacity...the rules will only limit how many rounds you load.   Most ROs and I think all trap/skeet clubs will know this.

1 hour ago, almiz111 said:

So it looks like a little snootery in Skeetery.

I believe the main objections over your shotty at R-14 was the pistol grip and mag capacity.  Like every other sport, trap and skeet have rules and your gun was inappropriate for that type of sport. They probably follow the ATA and NSSA rules for what types of firearms are appropriate.   I don't think there are any strict rules on barrel length, other than it has to be legal.

Many folks use semi autos for trap because of the lighter recoil.  Even though they typically hold 4 shells in the mag, the rules say the mag  tube has to be blocked to hold no more than two, pretty much the same for hunting (ie. 2 +1).  Even so, you only load one for singles and two for doubles.  It's the same for pumps. It's just the way it is.

To be honest, I would be a little concerned about shooting next to a group of noobs sporting their tacticoolized shottys, dumping fully loaded mags indiscriminately ( 6 or 7 shells total on some guns).  Rules are supposed to keep sports fair, civilized and safe.

Look forward to seeing you at the rally.

24 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Many folks use semi autos for trap because of the lighter recoil.  Even though they typically hold 4 shells in the mag, the rules say the mag  tube has to be blocked to hold no more than two, pretty much the same for hunting (ie. 2 +1).  Even so, you only load one for singles and two for doubles.  It's the same for pumps. It's just the way it is.

The rules for international trap require magazines to be blocked to hold only one shell, the second shell being the one in the chamber.   I did not know that until I looked it up just now...    I didn't look up the rules for skeet, as that's not an event I shoot.

I don't see a magazine limit in the rules for American trap; you are restricted instead by the number of shells allowed for the event you are shooting...1 or 2.      

I doubt most Range14 ROs would be aware of the difference, and in any case you're not shooting a registered event, and you're not shooting international trap.  International trap bunkers are pretty rare; if you're shooting behind a single thrower, it's not international trap.     I think the RO just objected to the look of your gun...

• Like 1

I don't think you would've had much fun with your HD shotgun. However, I don't agree with the rule about not letting you blow your money lol.

i used to go to this private driving range back in high school because I could take my shirt off in the NC summer. I never tried to do it at an actual golf course because it wouldn't have been allowed. I'm guessing the HD shotgun rule is probable similar to the shirt on the driving range rule lol.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Jus to clarify.. op could pattern his hd shoty but not shoot clays with it?

He can burn up his lunch money all day at the R-14 rifle range with the HD setup.  Eh, but there's rules there too.  Slugs and buckshot only.  Though I've seen folks shoot birdshot there from time to time, and the RSOs don't look twice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

He can burn up his lunch money all day at the R-14 rifle range with the HD setup.  Eh, but there's rules there too.  Slugs and buckshot only.  Though I've seen folks shoot birdshot there from time to time, and the RSOs don't look twice.

Their range their rules I guess.

@almiz111 hit the Clinton meet ups. You can miss /hit clays all day long with your set up. I will tell my I’m worse with my hd 18 “ buttstock then my 28” buttstock. But it’s for fun.

Last time I shot trap at R14 there wasn't any RO's on the trap range. You just check in at the desk and pay for what you shoot. They never asked about what kind of gun or round capacity. You could have shot any kind of shotgun without anyone knowing or caring for that matter. I guess things have changed. Now I'm glad that I didn't renew my membership.