axeman_g

You are King! Arm your defense force.

I want to bring a little fun back to forums. So bear with me.

You are king of an island. About the size of Puerto Rico, hilly, not too rugged with heavy forest on south and east edges about 5 miles inland, but mostly grass lands in interior. Temperate climate. One major airport, two ports, 4 large cities (>50k citizens) rest are farm to market hamlets.
Total pop 275k.
You have a Island Defense Force of 5000 soldiers. You have sufficiently supplied them with personal items, uniforms, boots, backs etc etc.
Now you need to arm them. Using MSRP prices minus 25% for contract purchase (you might need a new master of coin) and a budget of 10mil. Arm them all.

You can say 2000 per soldier... or 1000 on 500 and remainder on 4500... however you want to do it, but each soldier must have one sidearm and one long gun.
 oh... and a sharp tool.

Ammo is not counted yet... that might be another question for later.

Discuss

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What is the nature of threat?  You would also need support weapons.  Crew served machine guns, at least some mortars, anti-armor capability, some air defense weapons, and some artillery.  You'll never beat off invaders with just small arms.

• Like 1

Which enemy nation would be the likely threat we are arming against? If this was North Korea, I say go with the AK platform as the main battle rifle. Captured weapons and ammo can be added to your military at no additional cost to your budget.

Regards,

TokenEntry

What is the nature of threat?  You would also need support weapons.  Crew served machine guns, at least some mortars, anti-armor capability, some air defense weapons, and some artillery.  You'll never beat off invaders with just small arms.
Handling one logistical component at a time. And when I want to arm my artillery, air cav, air force and navy I will go to those forums. Not one dedicated to small arms, although I am sure there are plenty of experts here on those subjects.

1 hour ago, axeman_g said:

Handling one logistical component at a time. And when I want to arm my artillery, air cav, air force and navy I will go to those forums. Not one dedicated to small arms, although I am sure there are plenty of experts here on those subjects.

Get them M4s and Glock 19s. Everyone doesn't need both.  Plenty of change left over in your stated budget that could be used for other things.

• Like 2

About the most unimaginitive members only...

Why M4s? All 5000? No sidearms... ok. But that doesnt answer the question. This isnt serious, it supposed to fun to stimulate discussion other than NJ sucks and glocks blow discussions.

Here is my example

200 knights mk110 Leupold Mk4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm 9000 each  (1.8mil) Gives me 1 DMR per 25.

4800 tavor b16 1500 each (7.2mil). Tavor works well in all enviroments, rugged and proven. Adaptable to my troopers.

5000 g19 475 each (2.375mil). Stupid simple and reliable.

5000 kabars 75 each (37k)

Puts me at 11.4mil and negotiate down to 10mil.

I would find an eastern block supplier that still had tons (literally) of Mosins still in cosmoline, buy about 3K of them at $100 apiece and lots of spam cans of milsurp. 

Then I'd buy 20 SAWs, 500 M-16s and Colt 1911s for my elite Royal Guard.  I'd raise taxes because $10 mil sure as hell isn't going to pay for all my "state dinner parties" and the Cessna Citation X+ that I'll need to flee the island when the population revolts.

• Like 1

I would find an eastern block supplier that still had tons (literally) of Mosins still in cosmoline, buy about 3K of them at $100 apiece and lots of spam cans of milsurp. 

Then I'd buy 20 SAWs, 500 M-16s and Colt 1911s for my elite Royal Guard.  I'd raise taxes because $10 mil sure as hell isn't going to pay for all my "state dinner parties" and the Cessna Citation X+ that I'll need to flee the island when the population revolts.

You would be overpaying on the Mosins at $100 each. Large purchases direct from storage are around $20 each. Though the reason many are still sitting in Ukraine is they tried getting closer to $100 each for them and it wasn't worth it to the importers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

You would be overpaying on the Mosins at $100 each. Large purchases direct from storage are around $20 each. Though the reason many are still sitting in Ukraine is they tried getting closer to $100 each for them and it wasn't worth it to the importers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to know but I'm not lowering taxes.

• Like 1

Can't do it under budget for what I'd want.  Well, maybe I can because I am only guessing at prices.

3500x M4 @ $1300, 200x SAW @ $5000, 300x SPR @ $4000, 250x MP5 @ $1250, 250x Benelli Supernova @ $500, 30x Accuracy International AWM @ $8000; 5000x Glock 17/19/22/23 @ $450 each, and 5000x $75 per knife.  Currently $52500 over budget with 4530 soldiers with long arms, but all 5000 with sidearms and knives

So if I went somewhat more east...3800x AK47 @ $450, 800x PKM [or similar] @ $5000, 250x SVD @ $4500, 100x Supernova @ $500, and 50x Accuracy International AWM @ $8000; 5000x Glock 17/19/22/23 @ $450 each, and 5000x $75 per knife.  Everyone is armed according to rules and I have $90,000 left, enough to buy one single hammer.

Maybe I need to get rid of the mp5 and shotgun and give the rest of those guys $20 mosins.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, axeman_g said:

About the most unimaginitive members only...

Why M4s? All 5000? No sidearms... ok. But that doesnt answer the question. This isnt serious, it supposed to fun to stimulate discussion other than NJ sucks and glocks blow discussions.

Here is my example

200 knights mk110 Leupold Mk4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm 9000 each  (1.8mil) Gives me 1 DMR per 25.

4800 tavor b16 1500 each (7.2mil). Tavor works well in all enviroments, rugged and proven. Adaptable to my troopers.

5000 g19 475 each (2.375mil). Stupid simple and reliable.

5000 kabars 75 each (37k)

Puts me at 11.4mil and negotiate down to 10mil.

You're being quite unimaginative.  What kind of threat you're dealing with dictates what you need.  That also impacts on organization of your defense force  Tiny armies like the one you propose are more often used to control the population. If you don't keep your defense force busy they also serve as a place to develop the overthrow of the king or dictator.

Small arms in the military means stuff the infantry carries.  That includes grenade launchers, squad automatic weapons,  machine guns, light mortars and light antiarmor weapons.  Antiarmor weapons can be useful for other purposes.

Not everyone needs a rifle and a sidearm.  Doctors, truck drivers, supply clerks, and others don't need both.

The Tavor has been around for almost 20 years.  The M16/M4 has been around for almost 60 and proven in all environments and has plenty of users that are satisfied (including Israel).

If you want to buy your weapons for $10,000,000 you can go to China.  Get rifles, pistols, machine guns, mortars, and everthing else you need for light infantry at that price.  I'm sure they'll throw in enough RPGs.

If you want to get your weapons free or at bargain prices align yourself with some major power, the US, China, or Russia.

You need to imagine that there are plenty of even third world countries having armed forces that can roll over your defense force if they choose.