markymarkkev

SR25 vs Scar 17

They both have their merits. Although one of the big features of the SCAR is negated in NJ. Both of these rifles are the pinnacle of the 308 platform. If I wanted to favor precision id go with the SR25. If I wanted to run a 308 like an M4 I might favor the SCAR. The KAC was always big money but now the 17 is too. There are version of the SR25 I dont really care for. Its the EMC and successor line thats the heat. You can tell by the dimpled barrel. But your going to be in for near 6k.

• Like 1

I'm tempted to get a used 14.5 inch SR15 upper from AR15.com just so I can experience the fun.  

Just now, Shane45 said:

They both have their merits. Although one of the big features of the SCAR is negated in NJ. Both of these rifles are the pinnacle of the 308 platform. If I wanted to favor precision id go with the SR25. If I wanted to run a 308 like an M4 I might favor the SCAR. The KAC was always big money but now the 17 is too. There are version of the SR25 I dont really care for. Its the EMC and successor line thats the heat. You can tell by the dimpled barrel. But your going to be in for near 6k.

I figure with all the SCAR upgrades like trigger, Kinetic rail, stock, etc it would get close to a stock SR25.  right? 

I have a Scar 17 and love the platform for what it is...a lightweight , reliable 308 military style combat rifle that’s pretty accurate (easily 1moa at 100y with quality ammo all day long). I have had a 1-6x and 1-8x scope on it to plink steel out to 700 yards. It’s super fun to shoot, easy to clean/maintain (although I rarely clean it), and if I had to carry it around all day on a sling it would be more compact and lighter then an SR25. I got the $300 aftermarket trigger from Geisselle, the nicer forend extension that was another $200 and some other do-dads. That along with compliance work on the mags, compensator, and folding stock probably cost me over $700 from the stock rifle. 

I dont have an SR25 but I do have a KAC SR15 with a match barrel. Excellent rifle all around. The top of the food chain when comparing Ar15 rifles. Nothing bad to say about it and would never sell it. I do have a JP LRP-07 which is like the SR25. Its big, and heavy, and should be properly maintained at regular intervals. It’s not something I could use in a CQB scenario because of its size and weight. It’s fun to shoot from a stable platform like the ground or resting on a solid barricade. And yes, super accurate. 1/2 MOA if I do my part with quality ammo all day. 

If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the scar 17 over the 308 AR10ish platform. For me, I have a lot more fun shooting distance with my bolt rifles so that fills that requirement. I really could live without my JP rifle and thought many times of selling it. I have JP Ar15 rifles that I would be just as happy with in the 223 size. Still can get out at distance with the heavier bullets. The Scar is unique though. I have no other rifle in my collection like it. It’s low in maintenance with a real high fun factor. I bought one on a whim and was really happy from the first time I shot it. It never disappoints !