dajonga

School me on Nashville

58 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Might do something in the Smoky Mtn area instead. Much more affordable. 

My wife and i did an anniversary trip to Knoxville a few years ago and we really enjoyed it.

We've taken several small trips to different places as scouting trips looking for places to retire.  Tennessee is very attractive because of the low cost, moderate weather and relaxed lifestyle.

Knoxville is a college town, so there are plenty of bars, restaurants, and shops for you to go to.  There are plenty of day trip options if you want to go rafting, hiking (Smokey Mts.), or on a scenic drive.  we spent some time in Maryville (they pronounce it Murh-ville) looking at property and we thought it was a very cool place.  Some good 'local' restaurants and friendly/accommodating people.

• Like 1

Back in 2007 during the week between Xmas and New Years the wife and I took a road trip from NJ out to TN, first stopping in Nashville for a couple of nights and then on to Memphis for a few more.  Best trip we ever took.

Saw the typical sights in Nashville, tried some line dancing, stopped in Bourbon country for some tours, saw Graceland, Beale street, site of the MLK shooting, and of course had ribs at Rendezvous.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

It was a Holiday Inn hotel (used hotel points from my work travel), it was at the top of the hill along the main drag, where all the bars and restaurants are. 

I stayed at the same hotel. Great location. Loved the old train station across the street.