JHZR2

Ranges in South Jersey/Philadelphia Suburbs

I typically shoot at Range 14.  However, it's a hike, and the early closing time on the weekend is an issue with family schedules. 

Ive been trying to research all the viable options.  Where I'm located, it seems like SJ Shooters, Telco, Delian and Holmesburg over in PA would all be good options. 

Every place has their pros and cons, websites have some info but not always great, etc.  I am essentially looking for a Range 14 with longer hours. What I mean is:

- allows me to set up targets at arbitrary distances of my choosing.  If a place has enough variants (e.g. Telco), it may be ok, but I'd prefer to not be limited to 25 yards or whatnot.

- outdoor range that operates year round

- hours that are either fully flexible (autonomy), or late enough that I have more flexibility with works and family

- preferably little or no work requirement; while at do and would gladly devote my time, having to do mandatory work,parties can often conflict with kids' stuff.

I do not care about the ability to draw and fire.  I don't care about if I can CCW or holster a weapon while there.  I do somewhat care about round restrictions.

My take is the following:

- SJSC: most $$, possibly the nicest/newest facility. 

- Telco: fully autonomous, high number of variants for distances; second highest price  

- Delran: somewhat smaller and more limited hours, but good price point

- Holmesburg: bridge toll but low annual cost, late hours, severe round and firing restrictions

I know there's a few others like square circle (restricted membership) and the Police Association in Berlin, looking for what might be the best mix per what I mentioned above.  Some threads on certain ranges seem to be rather old and possibly stale.  

Any thoughts/recommendations/suggestions would be helpful.  

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, markymarkkev said:

I'm a member of SJSC and seems like that it meets most of your requirements.  You get what you pay for. 

Can you expand on what it doesn't meet?  I'm under the impression that one can only shoot full distance to the trap, so whatever the range length is.  Is thst true?  If one wants to do, say, 7yd pistol, is that possible?  

Also, is steel allowed?  Range 14 restricts to 200 yes, which seems a bit excessively long, so Ive never shot steel.  However I'd generally like to.

Pistol range has different board hangers at different distances to accommodate.  I believe off the top of my head there are 5,7 and 10 yards.  So yes, that's possible.  You're allowed to move up on the 50-yard and 300-yard range with long guns only as long as all shooters are in agreement.  Steel is allowed only at the 25-yard range for pistol calibers only and 50-yards and above for anything else.  Only caliber restriction is 50 BMG.  

1 hour ago, louu said:

If either of you gentleman would like to check out Quinton sportsmans club pm me and we can setup a time to go shoot.

took a Vickers Class there last November and thought it was a nice range.  Only was in the 50-yard pit, but it was nice.  Not sure of all the rules and etiquette though.  

1 hour ago, Bellasdaddy said:

How far south are you? USANA?

Elmer is a hike. Close-in Philly Suburbs.  Holmesburg is closest, SJCC is next closest, with Telco about equidistant. Tells is "slower" to get to (in non-rush hour times at least) due to the roads.  It's a matter of picking your poison.  130/95 and bridge toll vs. 42 vs. whp...

So it really is a matter of what can I do where.... I like the way Range 14 operates other than early weekend closing times.  And it's cheap.  But it's about an hour drive too...

Id prefer to be able to dig in targets at any distance of my choosing like Range 14.  It seems like any of the ranges around you're pretty restricted in that regard.  If you cant set a target close, and can't move up (obviously) it limits a bit.   At that point might as well go to Holmesburg because it's the shortest drive. But the 5 round rule, while I aM more interested in marksmanship than spraying lead, is a real hassle even with six-shooter revolvers. 

if you're willing to drive a bit, Easton Fish & Game. $50 per year and you can set up targets at any distance up to 100 yards. However you can't shoot steel or other objects if that's what you're looking to do.

2 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

if you're willing to drive a bit, Easton Fish & Game. $50 per year and you can set up targets at any distance up to 100 yards. However you can't shoot steel or other objects if that's what you're looking to do.

Thanks for the recommendation, but Im really not.  

I want to be able to shoot more, which means closer than Range 14 for me (which is currently like 50-55 mins), and better hours (later on weekends).  Otherwise Range 14 is ideal to me given cost and setup...

Thanks though!!!