gfl216

Things to do in the Outter Banks

I rented a house in the Outter Banks for a week in July. More specifically Kitty Hawk. I've never been to NC before and know nothing about the area so, I'm looking for suggestions on things to do, paces to eat, and if there are any shooting activates or cool gun shops near by.  

So far I know that we are going to try hang gliding from the sand dunes, renting a dune buggy, horseback riding on the beach, and a visit to Roanoke Island.

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

The fishing is great, if interested you might want to look into a charter boat.

It looks like there is a pier not to far from where the house is. I was thinking about seeing if they rent poles. My wife and older daughter don't like boats.

We did a kayak tour at Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge 2 years back.  Lots to see, but the best part was when we got buzzed by a military jet from a nearby airbase.  We could see the pilot turning the jet from a distance and he flew right over us at what seemed like 200 feet. The tour guide in the lead kayak looked back at us and said that was a first even for him!

2 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

If your into history, go to the wright brothers museum, its right there. I enjoyed it.

Yes, that is on the list too.

2 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Eating Ugly Arthur's is good.

Thanks, I'll put this on the list of places to eat.

Get donuts from duck donuts, amazing.  There are dunes around kitty hawk that are really cool.  We took the kids flying kites there.  There are several museums and you can go on a wild horse tour in corolla (pronounced ca-rah-la).  It’s a great place.

6 minutes ago, gfl216 said:

It looks like there is a pier not to far from where the house is. I was thinking about seeing if they rent poles. My wife and older daughter don't like boats.

Pier fishing you can be hit or miss especially more on the miss if you don't have the correct bait, lures, or tackle. Talk to someone in one of the local bait shops or visit the pier before you plan on fishing and talk to some people there about what's running and what to use to catch them. I'd offer to loan you rods but I'll be in New Hampshire by july

Been there once & had a great time years ago.  Wright Bros. Museum was great.  Stayed in Carolla during a Tropical Storm.  Beach disappeared.  House on stilts shook & living-room couch bounced along the floor by itself as Hurricane Eye formed.  Nice & sunny, then eye wall caused wet sand to be flung everywhere.  Food was good, but can't recommend any joints cause over a decade ago.  Bring a windbreaker & stand on the beach facing the wind & try to fall down by leaning forward into the wind & watch the wind hold you up.  Bring safety glasses if it gets really windy to keep sand out of yer eyes.  Lots of scratched corneas during the Tropical Storm.  We had a blast & had lots of stories to tell!  One block from the house to the beach.  Have FUN!  

The house is across from the beach about 2 or 3 blocks from the Kill Devil Hills boarder. I was thinking about renting bicycles for the family to get around the area. If anyone is familiar with that particular area do you think that the bikes would be a good idea or would it be better to drive.

Best beaches IMO in terms of being left alone to enjoy yourself. Corolla especially. No one is going to bust your balls about drinking (big difference from NJ). Just clean up after yourself and everything will be good.

I need to get back down there. Really nice beaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spend the whole summer there, my family owns a few homes and rentals.

in addition to the gun shack, there is the Outer Banks Gun Club, it’s a hike, being 10 minutes south of Manteo. They have 100 yard rifle range, and a seperate range for pistol, And some clay throwers.

the heat and mosquitoes can make it a terrible experience if you pick a bad day.

I usually always buy a ton of ammo down there. Can usually get 100 packs of 9mm at Walmart for under $18.

My favorite places to eat:

mama kwans

high cotton

the run down

black pelican

3 hours ago, Gunnz said:

in addition to the gun shack, there is the Outer Banks Gun Club, it’s a hike, being 10 minutes south of Manteo. They have 100 yard rifle range, and a seperate range for pistol, And some clay throwers.

Do you know if either place rent guns?

OK, so what's a vacation without some great beer.  Get a growler and on the way down the Caratoke Hwy. (Rt 158) to the OBX stop at the Weeping Radish Farm Brewery, get something to eat, great food, and fill the growler.

http://www.weepingradish.com/

Red Ale for me.  Pick up some wurst for the grill too!

High Cotton in Kitty Hawk, Pigmans and Sooeys in Kill Devil Hills for Q, your choice about the same.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:53 PM, T Bill said:

OK, so what's a vacation without some great beer.  Get a growler and on the way down the Caratoke Hwy. (Rt 158) to the OBX stop at the Weeping Radish Farm Brewery, get something to eat, great food, and fill the growler.

http://www.weepingradish.com/

I do like beer:D

3 hours ago, Hairless_Ape said:

For the love of god, the Lost Colony is the most painfully boring thing I've experienced in my life. If you hate yourself, then I highly recommend it.

I don't know I thought it looked kinda cool but I'm a history nerd so who knows. Thanks for the tip but I'm probably going to roll the dice on this one.

@gfl216:

Greetings from the OBX....

We have been down here all week at our oceanfront beach house, getting ready for the upcoming rental season.  The fresh seafood is delicious and much less expensive than in NJ.  We have been coming down here about a half dozen times each year for over the past 20+ years.  PM me if you like, for some detailed thoughts, suggestions and recommendations for your July beach vacation.

If you enjoy history then I suggest that you read: The Wright Brothers, a 2015 non-fiction book written by the popular historian David Mccullough, which IMHO, is an excellent primer to your planned visit to the Wright Brothers National Memorial in Kill Devil Hills on the Outer Banks.

There was a fair amount of beach sand erosion up to the dune all along the Outer Banks shoreline as a result of the four Nor'easters in the span of 3 weeks in March.  As a result, the beach width at high tide is much narrower now than in the past.  Many of us are currently in the process of rebuilding the beach access walkways and stairs down to the beach that were damaged or destroyed in the storms.  One thing we have learned here is that Mother Nature will add sand and take it away, regardless of what we do to combat the process.  Prior to these storms, our stairs to the beach were completely covered by sand on the east side of the dune.

As far as shooting sports in the OBX, if you are a hunter and enjoy waterfowl shooting in the fall season, there are several gun clubs that you could look into.  I have shot clays, as well as my handguns at the Outer Banks Gun Club, located in Manns Harbor, NC, a short drive southwest from Manteo, which is a decent outdoor set up, but only on days that are not to hot and preferable with a breeze to keep way the bugs.  http://www.obxgc.org/
As others here have said, clays and ammo are not very expensive when purchased at the local Walmart on Rt. 158 in Kitty Hawk.  While I have stopped and checked out the Gun Shack, located at Powell's Point on the mainland, the last thing I want to do while in the OBX is to go shooting at an indoor range...

Spring seems to be arriving late for all of us up and down the eastern seaboard.  We have had a mixed bag of weather this week ranging from the mid-40’s up to the mid-70’s this, but have enjoyed some very nice sunrises and sunsets, (see below).

AVB-AMG

378A8DB2-6438-4871-AB6C-860A648AE9A5.jpeg

3B80B978-CB6E-459B-BA9B-1A39ECEC5E77.jpeg

• Like 1

This is a MUST MUST MUST! Go for  the wild horse tour but from these people! I went with my family and we had the guide his nickname is Gator! Awesome dude! Make sure you go to this one as he is the best! been doing it for all his life there wasnt a question he couldn't answer. try and get gator as your guide. but both the drivers are nice i only had gator :-)

http://www.outerbankstours.com/

2 hours ago, lilred121986 said:

This is a MUST MUST MUST! Go for  the wild horse tour but from these people! I went with my family and we had the guide his nickname is Gator! Awesome dude! Make sure you go to this one as he is the best! been doing it for all his life there wasnt a question he couldn't answer. try and get gator as your guide. but both the drivers are nice i only had gator :-)

http://www.outerbankstours.com/

Did the horse tour twice with the kids. This year we're going to get on a charter and go fishing. 

Count down started leave in 35 days.

We're going to Kitty Hawk in a couple weeks also. Hoping to hit the 4x4 beach 20 miles away and will look into the wild horse tour! I wish we had Brew Thru's around here LOL!

@gfl216:

Just one more, FYI....
Saturday's are the major rental home switch days in the OBX and can be rather hectic during the high season, (now).  Renters who are leaving that day from their OBX rental homes must be out of the house by between 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. in order to allow for the cleaning service access to do their thing.  The next week's renters are usually allowed access to the house by 4:00 p.m. that day.  Therefore, traffic is the heaviest in both directions on Saturday, with the worse traffic on Rt. 12 going north from, which is a two lane highway, starting when you turn left to head north off of Rt.l 158 (N. Croatan Hwy.).  But unfortunately, in the high season, from about noon onward, you can expect heavy traffic volume, congestion and backups starting on the mainland just before reaching the Wright Memorial Bridge that crosses the Currituck Sound.  If you can plan your trip to arrrive at that point prior to 12:00 noon, then you should be in much better shape and make plans to visit some interesting sites before you allowable house entry time.  

I hope you and your family and friends have nice weather this coming week and enjoy the beach....!

AVB-AMG