What model AR do you consider to be top tier?

What model AR do you consider to be top tier?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider a top tier AR-15?

• Daniel Defense M4A1
    • FN 15
    • LWRC IC SPR
    • Noveske Infidel
    • Knight's Armament SR25
    • WarSport LVOA
    • HK516RMR
    • BCM
    • Sig Sauer 516
    • Spike's Tactical Crusader

15 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Two Marine friends of mine said in Fallujah 5.56 and 9mm were very ineffective. When they got the M14s and 1911s in they dropped where they stood.

Granted they said most of the insurgents were hopped up on Super Meth and had homemade body armor. I was told one raghead took 5 rounds of 5.56 threw his homemade bomb ran back in a house and came back with another one. The next volley put him down and his own bomb blew him up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Funny because I was in Marjah and 5.56 was plenty effective there. Reason why we're writing this article is because of how popular the AR market is and the said popular brands in the poll. Based on feedback around the gun community, we will be testing the most 5 popular models in a myriad of tests to show what is the best, but hopefully proving that with the right optic and trigger they all perform the same, proving that it really doesn't matter what gun you buy, go out and train and you'll achieve the same results.

Funny because I was in Marjah and 5.56 was plenty effective there. Reason why we're writing this article is because of how popular the AR market is and the said popular brands in the poll. Based on feedback around the gun community, we will be testing the most 5 popular models in a myriad of tests to show what is the best, but hopefully proving that with the right optic and trigger they all perform the same, proving that it really doesn't matter what gun you buy, go out and train and you'll achieve the same results.
Story was told to me by a Marine Sargeant who is currently an Ocean County Sheriff.

Jesus Christ, you must love the movie Gran Terino
Loved Clint and his Garand in that one.

• Like 1

I just spent a week doing Critical Incident Response/CQB training with Northern Red. All of their instructors are former CAG.

They all shot 5.56 carbines while overseas and did not see the need for anything bigger for their roles (these guys were assaulters, and that’s the mission set they refer to. Sniper/long range type stuff is a different ballgame - the mission drives the gear train). They were all very happy with the effectiveness of the 5.56 round and the AR platform as a whole.

If I remember right they said they used the Barnes 62 or 77 grain TSX projectiles and killed more bad guys than cancer with them.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 0:22 AM, Shane45 said:

8 Rounds of 30-06 isnt ideal? LOL Even the LR guys were picking the 5.56 over M14's. I guess Cap never seen the vid of Travis Haily wacking Hadji's at 600 yds with his AR.

Some guys like 30 cal thump, some like 22 cal speed demons.   All work as advertised  

556 is effective. My combat infantry buddies in Bragg are using. Delta guys here are using them.

IS guys are doped on khat and meth. I've heard of guys taking a dozen rounds before going down. A dozen. Unless you shoot these guys with hellfire missiles you can't expect 1 shot stops. Luckily, these are very rare individuals.

just shoot them in the head, even a .22 rimfire will stop someone with a headshot.

2 minutes ago, blksheep said:

I've seen domes take a shot from handguns and go right around.  The skull is a pretty legit bone.

There is iron in your words. 

Real life isn’t the movies and the human body is an amazing thing. I’ve seen people survive horrific wounds and keep fighting.

I’ve seen people who are dead and just don’t know it yet, they fight until they win, then expire.

• Like 2

Are you aware of what happened at Wild West City 10 years ago? That guy was shot with a .22LR round in the head, still partially paralyzed in half of his body and doesn't have full cognitive functions. There's no guarantee that any caliber bullet to the head won't do damage. If a .22LR can do that kind of damage, I wouldn't doubt that a much higher powered rifle shooting 5.56/.223 FMJ or even a pistol with FMJ ammunition would be worse.

14 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Real life isn’t the movies and the human body is an amazing thing. I’ve seen people survive horrific wounds and keep fighting.

I’ve seen people who are dead and just don’t know it yet, they fight until they win, then expire.

Thats why we need 30 round mags.

• Like 2

Are you aware of what happened at Wild West City 10 years ago? That guy was shot with a .22LR round in the head, still partially paralyzed in half of his body and doesn't have full cognitive functions. There's no guarantee that any caliber bullet to the head won't do damage. If a .22LR can do that kind of damage, I wouldn't doubt that a much higher powered rifle shooting 5.56/.223 FMJ or even a pistol with FMJ ammunition would be worse.

Ahhh, the 22. Preferred weapon of close range mafioso assassination to the back of the head. Just ask Pauly Walnut.

Yea, I remember. Went there many a time and considered the Stabiles a nice family. All went to hell in 2012.. Sad times.... one of the last amusement parks in NJ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/25/2018 at 10:19 PM, Ray Ray said:

I don't know what top tier means, but If my life is on the line I trust BCM.

Noveske and Wilson Combat are for guys that date super models. 

Stag and DPMS are for guys that date chicks who can't wash their asses.

BCM are for guys looking for wife material.

I guess I'm in the dating girls with huge asses category.

I don't mind girls with big asses.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Shot with 5 rounds of 5.56 and still running around? Im going have to raise the  BS flag on that one.

Happens all the time.

Your body is a collection of switches and timers. If you don’t hit the right one hard enough, your actions may not stop an attacker.

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

This is real life shit - not movies. You have to hit something important.

Do you know what most people that are shot die from?

Old age.

Bullets plain suck at stopping determined attackers.

• Like 5

Ahhh, the 22. Preferred weapon of close range mafioso assassination to the back of the head. Just ask Pauly Walnut.

Yea, I remember. Went there many a time and considered the Stabiles a nice family. All went to hell in 2012.. Sad times.... one of the last amusement parks in NJ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somehow, some way that place is still open and I believe the guy who was shot is still pending settlement.

8 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Shot with 5 rounds of 5.56 and still running around? Im going have to raise the  BS flag on that one.

Unless the kinetic energy crushes vital organs or there is a CNS hit that provides immediate incapacitation the body has to lose enough blood or the brain has to be deprived of oxygen.

Blood loss and deprived oxygen can take a lot of time, if it happens at all. 

Pistol rounds generally don't generate enough kinetic energy to crush organs, and headshots with a pistol are wishful thinking for the most part.  

A few rifle rounds IF applied in the area of the thorasic cavity have shown they will develope enough kinetic energy to crush vital organs.  Again that takes time, and doesn't immediately provide incapacitation.  

A CNS hit with a rifle round is not that easy given the circumstances surrounding the situation.  

Like HE said, shot placement and then that doesn't guarantee anything.  

On 3/28/2018 at 2:35 PM, High Exposure said:

Tin Bear!  @High Exposure

• Like 1

6 hours ago, n4p226r said:

and it's not an AR-15.  

the noveske infidel isnt NJ legal and can't be made NJ legal as far as i can tell.  

It most certainly can be. It already comes with the blast difuser pinned to a legal length of 16". All you'd have to do is modify or replace the stock.