ECsandstar

New safe suggestions

Although it may be somewhat of a broad based question, i am looking for a new quality safe and looking for some suggestions/ recommendations on brands and capacity. I do plan on expanding my collection somewhat, but within reason. It would currently need to hold 3 shotguns, 3 rifles, 6 pistols, cleaning supplies, and ammo. I'm not a huge "stockpiler" but i do have a few rounds. 

Thanks in advance for the replies!

old safe:
http://safeswebsite.org/cannon-ts6026e-challenger-gun-safe/cannon-safe-tractor-supply-sale-72864/

new safe:
http://www.mesasafe.com/models/gun-safes/mbf7236e/overview.html
I really like my mesa safe.

too bad you're not closer I'd offer to sell you me old one.

otherwise, I strongly suggest external hinges.  the door opens much wider and makes it easier to get access to the entire safe.

I purchased mine from shooters, I have triumph series safe.  I see your in ocean county they also delivered my safe moved it into the house and I am glad they did it is a 1350 pound safe.

https://www.shootersnj.com/product-list/safes-2273/?sort=relevance

https://championsafe.com/

Well, I can build masonry walls reinforced  with a concrete ceiling and just install the door of your choice.  “Walk-in safe” lights heat, air. Store everything in there including your gear  

If you have the room that’s  the way to go. 

01DAC6D4-086A-4419-8EE8-D5B27DF0E7A7.jpeg

386D972E-C56D-4F58-910D-5C9A1F5F8B5B.jpeg

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, ECsandstar said:

this thread has gained tons of steam...

Well you weren't specific enough that people could give you a reasonable answer.

How many guns do you consider to be "within reason" that you plan to expand your collection to?  Because if you're going to buy two more handguns and call it quits, then a 10 gun safe should hold everything you have.  If "within reason" to you means you need it to hold 43 long guns and 22 handguns, then you'll need something a tad bigger.  Do your current, and intended, long guns have any optics or accessories?  That reduces the number of firearms your safe can hold.  For the same safe, you can store a lot more pump shotguns than you can AR-15's with red dots, flashlights, and lasers.

What's your price point?  If you're willing to spend up to $2k, that expands the possibilities much more than say...$400.  Not that there's anything wrong with a $400 safe, but it makes a difference.  How many is "a couple rounds"?  Is that 4, 400, 4,000?  Are you possibly open to the idea of storing your ammo in a separate locker that is not as secure as the gun safe, but cheaper than buying a safe big enough to accommodate all of your ammo?

Do you intend on storing anything other than firearms in your safe?  Maybe important and irreplaceable family heirlooms, jewelry, your stamp collection, $50,000 in large, unmarked bills, along with multiple passports?

Point is, you need to be at least slightly more descriptive in order to get appropriate responses.  People don't need the serial numbers off your firearms, and a blood sample...but you have to give them enough information to answer the question.

• Like 2

I tell everyone who asks me about safes to review this site thoroughly to fully inform themselves.

Then, what type of safe is best for you, how far you want to go, and how much you're willing to spend can be considered and balanced.

Two big takeaways:

• The difference between 'safes' and 'Residential Security Containers'. My first purchase was in fact a RSC. This type is dominant in the 'gun safe' market.
  • The fact that given enough time and tools, any RSC or safe can be defeated.Therefore a monitored alarm system is an essential component of firearm security.

Last year I bought a safe from Zanotti Armor and it's going to work perfectly for my (new) situation.

agreed on the RSC vs. 'safe' argument, and that (lack of) time is the only thing that stops someone from getting into one.

I liken it to stealing cars.  All you need to do it and not get a second glance is get a tow truck, badge it, get some shirts, a clipboard with some paper on it, and you can pretty much take anything you like.

5 minutes ago, sota said:

I liken it to stealing cars.  All you need to do it and not get a second glance is get a tow truck, badge it, get some shirts, a clipboard with some paper on it, and you can pretty much take anything you like.

Lol. Very true. Years ago the Home Depot in Flemington was selling hot tubs. 2 guys in pool company tshirts pulled up front in a box truck and got some of the Home Depot employees to help them load to hot tubs into the truck with the forklift. They never paid a dime for them. 

11 hours ago, Sonnylee said:

Well, I can build masonry walls reinforced  with a concrete ceiling and just install the door of your choice.  “Walk-in safe” lights heat, air. Store everything in there including your gear  

If you have the room that’s  the way to go. 

01DAC6D4-086A-4419-8EE8-D5B27DF0E7A7.jpeg

386D972E-C56D-4F58-910D-5C9A1F5F8B5B.jpeg

I have finally convinced my wife that we need a "safe room" in our new home so I plan on building one of these. 

Buy American!

i got extremely lucky with our USA made liberty at Lowe’s. 24 gun floor model and some weird contract with Lowe’s for a year. $199

Now everyone knows 24 means 12. I’m looking into another liberty 24 for my wife. Her guns are starting to cramp my style...

the prices are nuts! 

On 3/26/2018 at 10:42 PM, vjf915 said:

Well you weren't specific enough that people could give you a reasonable answer.

How many guns do you consider to be "within reason" that you plan to expand your collection to?  Because if you're going to buy two more handguns and call it quits, then a 10 gun safe should hold everything you have.  If "within reason" to you means you need it to hold 43 long guns and 22 handguns, then you'll need something a tad bigger.  Do your current, and intended, long guns have any optics or accessories?  That reduces the number of firearms your safe can hold.  For the same safe, you can store a lot more pump shotguns than you can AR-15's with red dots, flashlights, and lasers.

What's your price point?  If you're willing to spend up to $2k, that expands the possibilities much more than say...$400.  Not that there's anything wrong with a $400 safe, but it makes a difference.  How many is "a couple rounds"?  Is that 4, 400, 4,000?  Are you possibly open to the idea of storing your ammo in a separate locker that is not as secure as the gun safe, but cheaper than buying a safe big enough to accommodate all of your ammo?

Do you intend on storing anything other than firearms in your safe?  Maybe important and irreplaceable family heirlooms, jewelry, your stamp collection, $50,000 in large, unmarked bills, along with multiple passports?

Point is, you need to be at least slightly more descriptive in order to get appropriate responses.  People don't need the serial numbers off your firearms, and a blood sample...but you have to give them enough information to answer the question.

I guess those were questions i didnt quite think through. I may purchase a few more handguns in the near future (maybe 3 or 4) and i dont see myself getting rid of anything at the moment. Im sure there are storage options i can use to maximize space. I will be picking up another shotgun before the end of the year. As for rifles..who knows, but id like to have room for maybe 2 more. Its pretty tough to say what or when ill get something. I have no idea.

As for optics/accessories. Yes, i do have optics on rifles.

Budget would be about $1k max give or take a little. 

I would most likely store some documents and jewelry in it as well, but shouldnt take up much room. I will most definitely be keeping my unmarked, non-sequential bills and multiple passports in there as well.