My brother in law is a former Marine, fought in Iraq and saw his share of crap over there.  As a result he is dealing with PTSD and is managing it well, he has gotten the help he needed, has built a stable life for himself, has a wife, three kids and a good job.  But as the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished and he has been denied his FPID here in the great state of ours.  He was told that he needed a letter from the VA saying he was cleared to purchase firearms, and there is no way the VA is ever going to write that letter.  He has consulted with an attorney and is being told that it will cost upward of $10k to go through the process of an appeal, a sum that is just too much to justify.  I was wondering if there are any resources (or people) available to him to assist in the process of an appeal.  He did his part for us, I am hopeful there is something we can do for him.  Please let me know if you have any ideas, or know anyone with experience in the matter that might be wiling to help.

Thanks,

Marc

42 minutes ago, charbs1985 said:

Bullcrap. PTSD is specifically not considered a reason to deny a carry permit, let alone an FID. I work at the VA in NJ. I have several briefs and articles on cases where this exact issue went to court and the citizen won. When I get to work I'll post

That would be great, thank you. 

In my position at the VA, I deal with a lot of cops and PTSD comes up all the time. It was such an issue I contacted the NJSP Peer Counselor program lead to get advice on what to tell officers when they were considering filing a claim for PTSD. NJSP and most departments have programs to deal with officers who have PTSD from their LE jobs, and most don't lose their guns except in the most extreme cases. 

In my position at the VA, I deal with a lot of cops and PTSD comes up all the time. It was such an issue I contacted the NJSP Peer Counselor program lead to get advice on what to tell officers when they were considering filing a claim for PTSD. NJSP and most departments have programs to deal with officers who have PTSD from their LE jobs, and most don't lose their guns except in the most extreme cases. 
My BIL lives in a part of the state that requires he submit his application to the NJSP (no local PD). Is there anything he can provide along with the application that may help NJSP grant an approval? Case study? Legislation? Anything?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

he can set up an appointment with the VA and have them write him a letter, or if he's seeing a private shrink, have them do it. I had to do this because I put down I had ADHD on my FID application for my change of address. Though I could have just not said anything, but god forbid my house ever gets searched and they find a controlled substance and firearms in my house, I'd be in for a world of shit.