ireman412

Laws governing private rifle sales

To privately sell - a Certificate of Eligibility (printed off line) filled out by both you and the seller.  To buy - the same plus the buyer should have an FID card.  This paper work is for your own records and is not filed anywhere but with you and the buyer. Or not.

Whatcha selling?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobA said:

If they don't know what's what in a private sale now then how will they know then?

Well in the case of Handguns, when the white goes to NJSP Data Reduction unit, if they don't

see the Dealers number on the permit, I'll assume a report will be made. In the case of Long guns

I really don't know how they will know, but do you really want to chance getting caught.....???

1 minute ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Well in the case of Handguns, when the white goes to NJSP Data Reduction unit, if they don't

see the Dealers number on the permit, I'll assume a report will be made. In the case of Long guns

I really don't know how they will know, but do you really want to chance getting caught.....???

With hand guns of course that's the case.  But long guns and shotguns.....?

Let’s not boot strap ourselves here. Some of you old timers are going to embolise .. we still have layers of the onion... everyone needs to calm down!

im selling Zeke for mod respiratory advanced accessories on eBay.

( paper bag)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ireman412 said:

What is the proper way to do it face to face in NJ.

In Florida they handed you money, you verified they were a Florida resident, you handed them gun. No paperwork at all.

buyer and seller both hafta live here. print and fill out 2 copies of this......http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-634.pdf

you check the buyers fPid. make sure it matches his dl(not sure if that's legal requirement or not). you keep 1 copy, he keeps one copy. this is for long guns only. pistols still require a permit to purchase even in a face to face sale.

32 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

they['ll know, 'cause registration is next.

If this garbage actually passes then they should implement a system to cut the dealers out of the process and let us run the check

Many dealers are loving the new proposed laws. Hopefully if it does pass they add allowing individuals to run NJ NICS without the dealers. If not I will not buy or sell a firearm to a NJ resident unless there is a dealer who will facilitate the transfer for cost of NICS only. Any dealer that does so will likely see overall business increase in spades.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Many dealers are loving the new proposed laws. Hopefully if it does pass they add allowing individuals to run NJ NICS without the dealers. If not I will not buy or sell a firearm to a NJ resident unless there is a dealer who will facilitate the transfer for cost of NICS only. Any dealer that does so will likely see overall business increase in spades.  

Or they might try to muscle in on the deal
  • Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 6:39 PM, JohnnyB said:

PRNJ is done with private sales.....ALL sales must go through an FFL with a background check and of course a transfer and NICS fee! No more good deals here........If you're an FFL it's great!

As an FFL its not all that great.

1. Now you will have multiple people in the shop for a single firearm transfer.
2. Nics Delays mean storage problem when dealing with Nics back logs.
3. Issue of people bringing in a firearm that is loaded (yea it happens)
4. less time to help customers and give them the attention they deserve who are buying firearms while dealing with private transfers.

The 25 bucks we charge for a transfer barely covers the hassle.

As a 2nd Ad supporter not happy with this change.
As a NJ FFL dealer i'm just as unhappy.

The ramification of this law are yet to be seen... But i already know its going to be a shit show.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:37 PM, PK90 said:

Probably a 4 page COE.

OH FUCK YOU :)

On 3/26/2018 at 7:37 PM, JT Custom Guns said:

THAT is very possible.........

You can share PK's Fuck you as well LOL

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 10:24 PM, dimitrge said:

If this garbage actually passes then they should implement a system to cut the dealers out of the process and let us run the check

I dont think there is a method for private people to access Nics..  Do you really think NJ will trust a private seller to run nics?  Who would the NJSP inspect to make sure its being done.

As a seller do you really want the NJSP to call you and ask you about the firearm you sold and possible visit to see the paperwork.

This entire new law is FOD.

15 hours ago, sgt63 said:

....I guess a lot of long guns are going to be sold with 2017 dates on the COE form.

Horrible Idea.

For example. You sell your  rifle in may 2018 but date december 2017.. its used in a crime in January of 18..... The paperwork shows the gun was in the buyers hands while the crime was committed even though you really had it. Someone who's innocent is fucked.

14 hours ago, mikeyjones said:

Just wanted to point out that FID and DL DO NOT have to match.  They both have to be valid. 

If they dont have to match why does the nics unit require it or they deny the sale.

11 hours ago, capt14k said:

I doubt any FFL dealer will be doing anything for free unless its to make a political point or a marketing deal..It wont last long. Lets be serious for a moment.  The increased traffic has a cost. The liability alone has a cost.. It would be more likely some dealers will just choose not to do those transactions.

• Like 1