Magazine registration

29 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

you do not understand that if the supreme court declines to hear the case, the circuit court decision is the law of the land for that area. and the 3rd circuit is going to get very favorable shortly...

I know that. It also works both ways. See Peruta, Kolbe, etc

Is there a majority of 2A friendly types in the 3rd circuit if it goes to an en banc ruling?

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

Do you know what really PISSES ME OFF?  The fact that NONE of these 15 round magazines that we own now have EVER been used in a crime...Just what exactly do do these assholes expect to happen when we have to register them.  Maybe they are purposely trying to get us to go off the deep end.  I wouldnt put it past them...

Register what?

You don't have to reggie anything...dispose or modifiy

There is no magazine registration. There is only 3 types of registration and they are all for the firearm.

1. Previously Registered prior to 1990 Match Rifles.

2. Rifles with attached magazines over 10 rounds that can not be modified to 10 rounds. Haven't found on yet that meets this criteria except possible Swiss 12 round experimental rifles.

3. Firearms for which 10 round magazines do not exist and current magazines can not be modified. There are a few firearms that meet this criteria. Mostly pistols. Argentine FN-49 and some H&K Rifles while modifying their magazines not only is very hard it destroys their value would not meet the criteria under the law because they are 20 round magazines. Magazines must be 15 or less still.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

you do not understand that if the supreme court declines to hear the case, the circuit court decision is the law of the land for that area. and the 3rd circuit is going to get very favorable shortly...
in short, forget about the supreme court. if they take it, great. if not, well that will turn out just fine too. watch this space

This is very true. Though I would like a SCOTUS ruling, because once they start taking 2A cases I think they will dismantle most firearms laws. Ideally NFA, GCA, and the most disgusting of all the Hughes Amendment will be overturned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, b47356 said:

And there is nothing else, its either win in court, or win at the ballot box.

We saw how the ballot box went, with Gov. Goldman Sachs II promising to raise taxes and easily winning.

Problem is we also have to shift the balance of power in the Legislature to even introduce (let alone pass) pro-2A bills (or, at a minimum, reversal of this crap) - which at the moment seems like a huge hurdle to overcome.

Especially given the fact that the same Ds get elected cycle after cycle after f'n cycle in my district...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NJBeretta said:

Problem is we also have to shift the balance of power in the Legislature to even introduce (let alone pass) pro-2A bills (or, at a minimum, reversal of this crap) - which at the moment seems like a huge hurdle to overcome.

Especially given the fact that the same Ds get elected cycle after cycle after f'n cycle in my district...

That's why we have to register to vote as a D, and then change the party from within.

The party leaders will not listen to R's, but may listen to their own. After all, their main job is to get re-elected.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fred2 said:

That's why we have to register to vote as a D, and then change the party from within.

The party leaders will not listen to R's, but may listen to their own. After all, their main job is to get re-elected.

He he he... I know why Menendez is surprised. 

I just want to point out to all the people clamoring for "Safe deposit boxes" and "friends out of state" to hide their 15 round mags. Your 15 round mags are junk everywhere but NJ, and soon to be junk in NJ. If you're storing mags out of state why not just get regular, standard capacity magazines for you "out of state" address? They're like $10-11 each right now. All this hot air over junk. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mossburger said:

I just want to point out to all the people clamoring for "Safe deposit boxes" and "friends out of state" to hide their 15 round mags. Your 15 round mags are junk everywhere but NJ, and soon to be junk in NJ. If you're storing mags out of state why not just get regular, standard capacity magazines for you "out of state" address? They're like $10-11 each right now. All this hot air over junk. 

You must only be thinking about rifle mags.  I am willing to buy 15rd pistols mags.  Beretta 92 or 96 and Glock 19.

1 hour ago, mossburger said:

I do agree if you mean rifle magazines -- 15 rounds was an oddball limit that nobody else had. (Yes, Colorado has a 15 round limit now -- except it really doesn't, because it grandfathered old magazines.)

However, for pistol magazines I'd prefer to keep the magazines that came in the box with the pistols. My daughter lives in America and she'll just be getting the magazines before she inherits the pistols.

If she ever sells them, they will be worth more with the original magazines, original tools, original box and original manuals than without.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob2222 said:

I do agree if you mean rifle magazines -- 15 rounds was an oddball limit that nobody else had. (Yes, Colorado has a 15 round limit now -- except it really doesn't, because it grandfathered old magazines.)

However, for pistol magazines I'd prefer to keep the magazines that came in the box with the pistols. My daughter lives in America and she'll just be getting the magazines before she inherits the pistols.

If she ever sells them, they will be worth more with the original magazines, original tools, original box and original manuals than without.

and ya know the best we can hope for here? is for these lawsuits to cause them to grandfather our low capacity 15 rounders.......

30 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

But until early December, you can still possess them and take them to the range.

Is that for sure? There's been a lot of debate on different threads (there's been a few) here regarding "transport" of those mags to the range, and only possession at home is now legal until Dec. It's been circled around and around.

Has it been 100% verified that using them at the range until Dec. is legal?

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Is that for sure? There's been a lot of debate on different threads (there's been a few) here regarding "transport" of those mags to the range, and only possession at home is now legal until Dec. It's been circled around and around.

Paranoia... you've been programed well.

Well, true to form NJ creates the paranoia. The new law allows you to possess  for 180 but there is an existing law on banning hi caps that outright bans  any transport. Nappen wrote an opinion and quoted the old law, if no one else does I"ll find it later. 

ETA:  ok this is an excerpt from Nappens gun book "update" he put out about the new mag cap crap-

"(15) Is it illegal to manufacture, cause to be manufactured, transport, ship, sell or dispose of a large capacity ammunition magazine under New Jersey law?

A: Yes. Under N.J.S. 2C:39-9h., it is a crime of the fourth degree to unlawfully manufacture, cause to be manufactured, transport, ship, sell or dispose of a large capacity ammunition magazine intended for use for any purpose other than authorized military or law enforcement purposes. This law prohibiting “transport” directly conflicts with the possession/carry exemptions for registered owners, retired law enforcement and motion picture, television, or video productions because the exception only includes N.J.S. 2C:39-3 and fails to mention N.J.S. 2C:39-9h. This law also prohibits “dispose of” which directly conflicts with the Voluntary Surrender provision of N.J.S. 2C:39-12 and only gives immunity for “possession” and not for transportation or disposal. This is yet another example of our legislators not knowing the law or having any understanding what they are doing."

Personally I've been picking up 10 rdrs for all my guns that needed them for the past few yrs just so I wouldnt have to give a shit about going to the range where capacity doesnt matter. This was old news to me 3/4 yrs ago. Ya'll can debate this for the next 6 months or so but I know I am gtg. 

Edited by siderman
Update

From Nappen's assessment...Retain possession for 180 day's, doesn't say anything about home, vs car, vs range. To me that is all "possession".

"(11) Is there a “grace period” for possessors of large capacity ammunition magazines to take action? A: Yes. A person who legally owns a semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 10 rounds or a large capacity ammunition magazine as defined under subsection y. of N.J.S. 2C:39-1 which is capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition on the effective date of the new law may retain possession of that rifle or magazine for a period not to exceed 180 days after the effective date of the new law. During this time period, the owner of the semi-automatic rifle or magazine shall:"

8 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

IMO, everyone's having such queries (or everyone in general) should be flooding the NJSP, AG, Governor and bill sponsors.  Suits should be made in advance of the grace period, over unclear, ambiguous laws that can potentially entrap the population while turning them into automatic felons.  Personal suits should be made against some of these people for their actions.  It's not like these laws clearly outlaw and define things.  There's always some lack of clarity it seems which put law abiding people on edge.  That's unfair.

8 hours ago, Hairless_Ape said:

Paranoia... you've been programed well.

Nah.... it's more like opinions are like assholes, everyone has one... but which one is the CORRECT one?

It's regarding "possession" versus "transport"..

4 hours ago, siderman said:

Nappen wrote an opinion

There's that "opinion" thing...

4 hours ago, siderman said:

Is it illegal to manufacture, cause to be manufactured, transport, ship, sell or dispose of a large capacity ammunition magazine under New Jersey law?

A: Yes.

So, his "opinion" claims "transport" is illegal now..

2 hours ago, JHZR2 said:

There's always some lack of clarity it seems which put law abiding people on edge.

Seems to be the plan all along.

6 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Nah.... it's more like opinions are like assholes, everyone has one... but which one is the CORRECT one?

It's regarding "possession" versus "transport"..

There's that "opinion" thing...

So, his "opinion" claims "transport" is illegal now..

Seems to be the plan all along.

yea that opinion thing....its based on written law(s) for all to see and form opinions so I'm not putting anything on Nappen here. The older law *details* all about banned hi cap mags which now includes 11+ and specifies no transporting them. The new one *generalizes* with  allowing possession of the 15s. So to summerize...to each their own lol.

Don’t get me wrong, Nappen likely knows NJ firearms law... but his opinion isn’t the top word to base my actions over. Think he still argues the Shockwave/TAC-14 are illegal, even after the AG letter. Having a braced TAC-14... think it is clear on my view of his opinion (everyone’s right to agree/disagree... opinion can always be wrong, even his).

On 6/14/2018 at 8:20 PM, Tunaman said:

Do you know what really PISSES ME OFF?  The fact that NONE of these 15 round magazines that we own now have EVER been used in a crime...Just what exactly do do these assholes expect to happen when we have to register them.  Maybe they are purposely trying to get us to go off the deep end.  I wouldnt put it past them...

Because you’re looking at it from a point of reason. These people are ignorant to the real facts and bitch and vote from emotion and not facts. The politicians do what they need to do for the populist vote. The populist voters think they can make 400 million guns just disappear with these idiotic laws. We need more education and less fear. But that’ll never happen.