Magazine registration

I don't think NJ.com bothered to read the bill the assembly passed.  There is nothing that says registration or a $50 fee in the bill.  I read it on the NJ Legislature website.
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/A3000/2761_I1.HTM

Ok Griz thanks...I will check it out as soon as I can.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I don't think NJ.com bothered to read the bill the assembly passed.  There is nothing that says registration or a $50 fee in the bill.  I read it on the NJ Legislature website.

I don’t think the website has been updated with the amendments. Still only mentions on-duty PD. Someone posted the amended text here somewhere

Just now, voyager9 said:

I don’t think the website has been updated with the amendments. Still only mentions on-duty PD. Someone posted the amended text here somewhere

We'll see.

14 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I believe the amendments everyone is talking about are those amending 2C39-1.  These amendments are those underlined parts in the copy of the bill on the link I gave above.

There is registration and $50 fee for a firearm WITH A FIXED MAGAZINE HOLDING MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS.  Can't think of any but there is probably something out there.  It also wouldn't surprise me if the NJ legislature outlawed something that doesn't exist.

This does not apply to your Glock, SIG, Beretta, AR, AK, or anything with a detachable magazine.

• Like 2

Welp let’s hope due process works in our favor after this shit passes

5 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

SKS with extended magazine is the only "fixed" magazine gun that holds more than 10 rounds that I can think of!

10 rounds REALLY SUCKS! but the whole $50 thing seems to be a nothing burger.

SKS with a detachable mag is already banned in NJ - I do not know of a Stock SKS with a magwell over 10rds........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

SKS with a detachable mag is already banned in NJ - I do not know of a Stock SKS with a magwell over 10rds........

I had one with a 30 round fixed mag many years ago until the 30s were banned. It was an aftermarket mod though.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

SKS with extended magazine is the only "fixed" magazine gun that holds more than 10 rounds that I can think of!

10 rounds REALLY SUCKS! but the whole $50 thing seems to be a nothing burger.

There are extended fixed magazines out there for the SKS.  These are available to get around states with laws defining an "assault weapon" as having a detachable magazine.  Few of them worked I've been told.

You can take a stock SKS and put anything you want on it in NJ. Folding stock, bayonet, flash surpressor, etc because it has a fixed magazine of 10 rds.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I had one with a 30 round fixed mag many years ago until the 30s were banned. It was an aftermarket mod though.

Well, since currently anything over 15rds is illegal anyway - the 20 or 30 rd upgrade to the fixed magwell is a mute point.

The Std (And NJ Legal) SKS is only 10 rds so it is not on the list......

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I didn't see it either.

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Saw this article on the CA injunction. Seem to fit for this new bill too, right?

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/08/injunction-california-magazine-ban-the-legal-brief-video/#axzz5AtUfa0hO

It's from August 2017. Has there been any update on it? I did a quick Google search and didn't see any recent information on it.

6 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I didn't see it either.

It's from August 2017. Has there been any update on it? I did a quick Google search and didn't see any recent information on it.

17.  (New section) a.  A person who legally owns a firearm with a fixed magazine capacity holding up to 15 rounds which is incapable of being modified to accommodate 10 or less rounds and was purchased on or prior to the effective date of P.L.      , c.    (C.        ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill) shall register that firearm within one year from the effective date this act. In order to register the firearm, the owner shall: 

(1) complete a registration statement, in the form to be prescribed by the Superintendent of the State Police; 

(2)  pay a registration fee of $50 per firearm; and

(3) produce for inspection a valid firearms purchaser identification card, permit to carry a handgun, or permit to purchase a handgun. 

b.    The information provided in the registration statement established pursuant to subsection a. of this section shall include, but shall not be limited to:  the name and address of the registrant; the number or numbers on the registrant's firearms purchaser identification card, permit to carry a handgun, or permit to purchase a handgun; and the make, model, and serial number of the firearm being registered.  Each registration statement shall be signed by the registrant, and the signature shall constitute a representation of the accuracy of the information contained in the registration statement. 

c.     An applicant shall register the firearm in the law enforcement agency of the municipality in which the applicant resides or, if the municipality does not have a municipal law enforcement agency, any State Police station.

d.    Within 60 days of the effective date of P.L.     , c.    (C.      ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill), the superintendent shall prepare the form of registration statement as described in subsection b. of this section and shall provide a suitable supply of statements to each organized full-time municipal police department and each State Police station. 

e.     One copy of the completed registration statement shall be returned to the registrant, a second copy shall be sent to the Superintendent, and, if the registration takes place at a municipal police department, a third copy shall be retained by that municipal police department. 

f.     The heir or estate of an owner of a firearm which has been registered pursuant to this section shall within 90 days after the owner’s death dispose of that firearm in accordance with section 5 of P.L.        , c.     (C.        ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill)1 

• Like 1

Anyone else notice the amended the part about LE exemption? It reads to me like the tax payers will be footed with more bills to buy 10rd mags.

committee amendments number 2

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/A3000/2761_S2.PDF

a few months ago the state PBA sent a memo around saying this will not effect its members, looks like they got had.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

17.  (New section) a.  A person who legally owns a firearm with a fixed magazine capacity holding up to 15 rounds which is incapable of being modified to accommodate 10 or less rounds and was purchased on or prior to the effective date of P.L.      , c.    (C.        ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill) shall register that firearm within one year from the effective date this act. In order to register the firearm, the owner shall: 

My take on that, if you bought the firearm legally here in NJ with a permit from your local PD, it's already registered, so no need to re-register it.

Something else that was snuck into that bill. Remember the Tazer/stun gun action a few months ago? This line was added in this new bill:

h.    Stun guns.  Any person who knowingly has in his possession any stun gun is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

So, for anyone who bought a Tazer a few months ago, congratulations, you're now  a criminal.

• Like 1

There is registration and $50 fee for a firearm WITH A FIXED MAGAZINE HOLDING MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS.  Can't think of any but there is probably something out there.  It also wouldn't surprise me if the NJ legislature outlawed something that doesn't exist.

There are plenty... I have two; Marlin Model 60 and a Uberti 1860 Henry.

I got to get a calendar and see where 180 days puts me. Because if I’m in FLETC, I’ll just drop anything affected to my godmother in PA before I leave. That Marlin is a gun my father bought me, which was my first gun. Wouldn’t modify it if I had to, and no way in hell would I hand it over.

Not giving NJ $50 to keep a gun that is already legal. Kind of annoyed with the rest, as I was hoping to sell my 15 rounders to guys here, since I’m going to buy the right capacity magazines when I move. Colorado’s laws are pretty much disregarded, so likely no sales there. Glad I had to spend so much for 15 rounders, and the only ones I’ll keep are my M1As (sit a little lower than the 20s my cousin uses with his SOCOM in PA).

4 minutes ago, Screwball said:

There are plenty... I have two; Marlin Model 60 and a Uberti 1860 Henry.

I got to get a calendar and see where 180 days puts me. Because if I’m in FLETC, I’ll just drop anything affected to my godmother in PA before I leave. That Marlin is a gun my father bought me, which was my first gun. Wouldn’t modify it if I had to, and no way in hell would I hand it over.

Not giving NJ $50 to keep a gun that is already legal. Kind of annoyed with the rest, as I was hoping to sell my 15 rounders to guys here, since I’m going to buy the right capacity magazines when I move. Colorado’s laws are pretty much disregarded, so likely no sales there. Glad I had to spend so much for 15 rounders, and the only ones I’ll keep are my M1As (sit a little lower than the 20s my cousin uses with his SOCOM in PA).

The Marlin is exempt per the new law any tubular fed magazine that holds .22 rimfire is NOT included in the restriction.

The Uberti is another case!

The Marlin is exempt per the new law any tubular fed magazine that holds .22 rimfire is NOT included in the restriction.
The Uberti is another case!

Thanks for the heads up...

But still will just take the gun out of state instead of giving NJ $50. So glad I didn’t get into a job that required me to stay here for 25 years.

[emoji867]NJ
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Sounds like the injunction is being appealed to the 9th (Ha!). Not sure the state of the underlying lawsuit. I don’t think oral arguments have been scheduled yet. 

Just now, falcone said:

When passing the mag bill did thy even try to justify it in any way? Give any type of explanation? I know they’re doing it just to fuck us but did they give any kind of reasoning?

I an certain that someone must have said "IF IT SAVES JUST ONE LIFE......".

1 minute ago, falcone said:

When passing the mag bill did thy even try to justify it in any way? Give any type of explanation? I know they’re doing it just to fuck us but did they give any kind of reasoning?

Because they can?  For the children?  

• Like 1

Yea but the whole “for the children” and “save one life” argument is moot since the Florida shooter did his rampage unabated with 10 rounders. Such BS they get away with this crap without a single word or example to back up there retarded argument. They never have to answer to any logic on this. Never answer how exactly 10 rounders will stop any shooting or save any life. 

Because they have no idea how to address issues in NJ such as property taxes, state pensions, teachers union, or the money that's been poured into school systems in failing urban cities. They pick on easy prey to show they've accomplished something. NJ is ranked 49th in desirable states to live in and are in the top 3 of states people are moving out of. Maybe that should be looked at damn frauds that they are.

• Like 6