Bully

SP 101- Who’s Got One?

Rigger SP 101. Any flavor, any caliber. 

Who has one? How do you like it? How do you use it?  What caliber and barrel length are you shooting?  Would you change anything?  Did you change anything about it?

Thanks for any input. Pics most welcome!

• Like 2

I love mine. 3"  barrel in .357. The only change I made was to add Hogue grips; fits much better in my hand. Load with .357 as a back-up when hunting in PA, and with .38 for HD. 

Just a warning - if you add the Hogue grips, you will most likely not be able to use a speed loader.

Don't currently own one but last week handled one in 44 special. 3" Barrel. It was sweet. If it had any practical use for ME here in NJ other than punching paper I might consider buying it. 

It had an unfluted cylinder. Love that look. 

17 hours ago, Grapeshot said:

Load with .357 as a back-up when hunting in PA, and with .38 for HD.

I bought the LCRx 3 inch in 38 special for the same reason.  

A 2 or 3 inch SP101 in 357 is my next revolver.  

7 hours ago, Tunaman said:

I have the 2.25 inch .38/.357.  Its nice. You are welcome to come and shot it anytime.  GFH is my home range.

Thanks.  I wish I had time when other people were off of work.  I shoot Mondays and am getting ready for my first FT/R in 2 weeks.  Afterward, if you're around and amenable, I'd love to take you up on that.  

On 3/27/2018 at 6:35 PM, DaddyNick said:

Don't currently own one but last week handled one in 44 special. 3" Barrel. It was sweet. If it had any practical use for ME here in NJ other than punching paper I might consider buying it. 

It had an unfluted cylinder. Love that look. 

No offense but wrong revolver.  It's ok, they all look the same. 

1 hour ago, Old School said:

@Bully Where are you shooting FT/R up there?

Text me.

1 hour ago, DaddyNick said:

Haha. Yep. Sorry about that. Different site has a Ruger discussion going on. Got em mixed up. Pretty much all (few) Ruger wheel guns I've handled always felt great. 

All good.  

3 hours ago, Bully said:

Thanks.  I wish I had time when other people were off of work.  I shoot Mondays and am getting ready for my first FT/R in 2 weeks.  Afterward, if you're around and amenable, I'd love to take you up on that.  

No offense but wrong revolver.  It's ok, they all look the same. 

No problem.  I am almost always free these days.  Look me up when y are ready and we will go.  I have plenty of guest passes.

On 3/28/2018 at 11:52 AM, Tunaman said:

I have the 2.25 inch .38/.357.  Its nice. You are welcome to come and shot it anytime.  GFH is my home range.

I have the same, 2.25 inch. I’ve shotnor dry fired it countless times and it’s heavy but smooth. My wifey got the 4 inch and I think I like it better though it’s not easy to carry.

On 3/27/2018 at 4:18 PM, Grapeshot said:

I love mine. 3"  barrel in .357. The only change I made was to add Hogue grips; fits much better in my hand. Load with .357 as a back-up when hunting in PA, and with .38 for HD. 

Just curious, why do you need a back up when hunting?  357 prob wouldn't stop a beer.  More concerned with human animals?

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

Just curious, why do you need a back up when hunting?  357 prob wouldn't stop a beer.  More concerned with human animals?

To humanly kill injured or dying game.

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Think again. The results surprised me 

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5H8C0cI3T

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Ray Ray and fishnut FTW.

And the SP101 is small and light. Better the gun you have with you than the .44 you leave back in camp.

3 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

As with any other firearm, you choose the load to accomplish the task at hand.

I've used a .357 numerous times as a trail gun when hunting out west, but it be loaded with Buffalo Bore 180gr. hardcasts. Rifle is usually attached to my pack without a round in the chamber; and while it only takes a few seconds to get it ready for a shot, a bear or lion may not give you that much time. Hence a loaded and holstered handgun.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they will handle bears just fine. As a matter of fact, if the area I am hunting doesn't have grizzlies, then I'll substitute a G23 with 200gr hardcasts.