Howard

Permanently blocking a magazine

1 hour ago, NJGF said:

Why do I have to pin it? Once the spring is cut it cannot be used without the block.

don't cut the spring. remember...the spring is connected to the follower and a inner floor plate. cutting it will i think prevent this. just put a block in there. it'll ride inside the spring. you can buy the block plates online. pin that puppy shut and you're good. it really is that simple.

also........do we think that they're gonna sit there and round-check our mags?

1 hour ago, JR88USMC said:

I have P-mags that have been sold to me that way from stores.

Well they are idiots.....  it's not permanent or legal....ask yourself is there anything permanent about a pop rover that can be reversed with the judicious use of a drill bit

1 hour ago, NJLEFTY said:

I watched a video on you tube last night about pinning a mag. The guy measured where the 10 round height would be and drilled a small hole in the side of the mag. Then with a rivet tool inserted a rivet into the mag flush with the side then clipped off then end so it couldn't be removed seemed simple enough. Anyone have an opinion on if this would be acceptable as a perm pinned mag.

No....Jesus Christ.....  cut the body.....  THAT is permanent 

Just now, PK90 said:

Listen to the experts above. :facepalm: emoji38.png

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

Actually...I 'am'.

Those that modify sell mags that that can be readily turned back to full capacity considering the stupid ass laws in NJ, are gonna get someone jammed up.

Lets see if this makes sense...take a cheap cost pmag anywhere in free America ....trying to save it ...by pinning it ....that can get you a conviction and lose ur rights forever in terms of guns....  

When you can cut the mag body while in nj......ensure ur legal and never worry....THEN when in a free state but as many 10 dollar 30 rounders as you want....

Yes listen to the expert above and pin it..... :facepalm:

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

also........do we think that they're gonna sit there and round-check our mags?

I was just wondering that. So much talk about the "legality" of pinning.

Has anyone ever been arrested or fined for having an "improperly" pinned 15/30 mag or any other reduced capacity (15/17, etc.) mags?

Has anyone had a RSO sit there and count the number of rounds you're loading in a mag?

Actually...I 'am'.

Those that modify sell mags that that can be readily turned back to full capacity considering the stupid ass laws in NJ, are gonna get someone jammed up.
Lets see if this makes sense...take a cheap cost pmag anywhere in free America ....trying to save it ...by pinning it ....that can get you a conviction and lose ur rights forever in terms of guns....  

When you can cut the mag body while in nj......ensure ur legal and never worry....THEN when in a free state but as many 10 dollar 30 rounders as you want....

Yes listen to the expert above and pin it..... :facepalm:
I bow to your expertise.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I understand that you're not ALL talking about AR mags, but that seems to be what most of the conversation is about.  For AR mags, instead of going through all the trouble, why not just buy the 10 rounders?  They're likely cheaper than having your current mags altered permanently, you can actually take them apart to clean them or replace parts, and come with none of the potential legal ramifications of "is it actually permanent?".  Send your 15 rounders off to a free state, or bag and bury them in your back yard :whatever:

• Like 3

23 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

I did read that state congress has approved legislation to fully fund police and fire pensions as well as give police the raises they deserve (my girlfriend hasn't received a raise in the 4 years she's been with NJSP) but Murphy plans to veto it. Good luck getting your law enforcement to enforce these new laws after you fuck with their money. Maybe if all our police identify themselves as illegal immigrants they'll get the money they deserve.

F him and his crooked sleezy smile.  After he got elected I realized how far NJ has sunk and my time here will be short. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

I was just wondering that. So much talk about the "legality" of pinning.

Has anyone ever been arrested or fined for having an "improperly" pinned 15/30 mag or any other reduced capacity (15/17, etc.) mags?

Has anyone had a RSO sit there and count the number of rounds you're loading in a mag?

There ya go.  I became a nroi uspsa ro and an nra rso.  So if you ever do a shoot.  Squad with me.  I know nothing. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

PLEASE! DO NOT PRESUME to know more than @PK90! Heed his advice, if any is given! He is an EXPERT on modifying mags to say the least! A rivet that can be removed with a drill is a ticket to meet Bubba!

who's talkin' 'bout rivets.

also...pk90....am i over-simplifying this?

4 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

not pin the mag. block the mag. http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/ar15-magblocks/10-round-ar15-limiters.html

then pin that bitch shut. wham bam thank you maam. it's done. considered permanent, if ya want extra security, epoxy the floorplate on.

Again, why do that for AR mags when 10rd mags are so damn cheap, and MADE to hold 10rds?  Then you can clean them or replace parts whenever you want.

• Like 1

Again, why do that for AR mags when 10rd mags are so damn cheap, and MADE to hold 10rds?  Then you can clean them or replace parts whenever you want.

Before anyone starts ordering parts or modifying mags I would wait for the final bill (after senate votes).

At that point I’ll ask for guidance from the njsp on what’s acceptable.

Some people have said the bill as is would not even allow modified mags.
  • Like 1

at this point the choice you make is at your own discretion based on what i'm saying.

for a permanent solution you can always put a pop rivet in the side of a magazine and modify them to fit 10 rounds and if you move to a free state, remove it.

This was not considered permanent. I’m not going to debate it all I’ll say is the njsp has said this is not acceptable.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 9X19 said:

The State Police do not recognize that as permanent.

Show me where they say a pop rivet is not permanent.

You guys are all so FOS.  You can buy a mag body from Brownell just like any other part and easily modify a neutered mag.

3 hours ago, remixer said:

This was not considered permanent. I’m not going to debate it all I’ll say is the njsp has said this is not acceptable.

And right NJ out of the current writing of 2761

"An ammunition magazine, which has been 
temporarily blocked or modified, as by a piece of wood or a pin, is still 
considered to be a “large capacity ammunition magazine.”

Anyone wanna make a different ruling that was the bill says...?

4 hours ago, vjf915 said:

'cause it lets us keep our current mags. those blocks are only what? 5 bucks? and me personally? i don't want to be grabbing for a tiny little 10 rounder. i like being able to grab the 20 or 30 round body

Show me where they say a pop rivet is not permanent.
You guys are all so FOS.  You can buy a mag body from Brownell just like any other part and easily modify a neutered mag.

Show me where it’s legal

I would rather be FOS then FOD.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

not pin the mag. block the mag. http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/ar15-magblocks/10-round-ar15-limiters.html

then pin that bitch shut. wham bam thank you maam. it's done. considered permanent, if ya want extra security, epoxy the floorplate on.

Sorry not following you said dont pin the mag then pin the mag? If you put the mag block into the spring and put it back into the mag what is the next step?

15 minutes ago, remixer said:

Show me where it’s legal

I would rather be FOS then FOD.

"Show me where it’s legal"- Is the stupidest thing you have ever said.  The law is about what is "NOT" legal not what is legal.

If you are a seller of neutered magazines you have a vested interest in not having people neuter their own magazines. Out of state of course.

Paul had some of the best neutered AR mags available and, I could still get increased capacity out of them in about 2 minutes.

28 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

'cause it lets us keep our current mags. those blocks are only what? 5 bucks? and me personally? i don't want to be grabbing for a tiny little 10 rounder. i like being able to grab the 20 or 30 round body

Proper mags should drop free.

"Show me where it’s legal"- Is the stupidest thing you have ever said.  The law is about what is "NOT" legal not what is legal.
If you are a seller of neutered magazines you have a vested interest in not having people neuter their own magazines. Out of state of course.
Paul had some of the best neutered AR mags available and, I could still get increased capacity out of them in about 2 minutes.

We used best practice. We use the advice of the njsp firearms unit. Thats the best one can do when the law is not specific. You can do what you want with your mags bit giving advice to others with out siding without caution is pretty stupid.

You can easily contact the NJSP yourself or just walk into the NJSP with one of those mags and ask.

Note: it’s not the stupidest thing I’ve said. I assure you I have said much more stupider things.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NJLEFTY said:

Sorry not following you said dont pin the mag then pin the mag? If you put the mag block into the spring and put it back into the mag what is the next step?

by "don't pin" i mean don't do the pop rivet thing. when i say "pin it shut" i mean exactly that. put a block plate inside. close it up. drill a blind hole, then insert a drift pin to seal it shut. just the way we pin stocks. so i guess....don't pin to limit capacity, but pin shut.

6 minutes ago, Old School said:

Proper mags should drop free.

yea? then how do ya insert the fresh one? does it jump in there all by itls little ole' self?