buckshot45

Ordered 15/30 Magazines over the weekend and are on there way. Are they still legal?

7 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

I've asked a similar serious question. Does anyone know of someone who actually got fined for a over cap mag? Having a 30 round AR mag or a 17 or 19 round Glock? I'm sure there are a bunch of them floating around the state.

Has anyone seen it happen, of is just a boogieman in the state?

Has anyone had their mags checked by a LEO when they've been at a range?

Didn’t Brian Aitken do seven years for hi cap mags when he moved back to NJ?

7 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Aitken beat the magazine charge on a technicality.  He was instead convicted for illegal possession of hollowpoints (moving them between residences was not exempted).

Thanks, I couldn't quite remember the details. He will be at RTSP next month on April 14th for a pardon celebration.  Spikes Tactical is co-sponsoring the meet and greet. Should be pretty interesting

3 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Aitken beat the magazine charge on a technicality.  He was instead convicted for illegal possession of hollowpoints (moving them between residences was not exempted).

Thanks for that reference, I just looked it up. The charges were illegal hand guns and fourth degree possession of large cap mags. Both were overturned. He served 4 months for the hollow point charges and was commuted by Christie with time served. A questionable 911 call to the police by his mother led to his arrest. Very strange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Aitken

So, this situation had no connection to being investigated at a range for hi cap mags.

Anyone I have spoken with said it will be like "fireworks" - if no one complains then they don't care. If i had 17's for my 17 how would anyone know (or care). Nobody at any of the ranges I've been to seems to cares if your behaving properly. But if you did something stupid then they might be a problem. Peace.

16 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Thanks for that reference, I just looked it up. The charges were illegal hand guns and fourth degree possession of large cap mags. Both were overturned. He served 4 months for the hollow point charges and was commuted by Christie with time served. A questionable 911 call to the police by his mother led to his arrest. Very strange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Aitken

So, this situation had no connection to being investigated at a range for hi cap mags.

BTW, the wikipedia page needs to be updated.  With the commuted sentence Aitken still had a felony conviction and could not possess firearms anywhere in the U.S.

Just days before he left office this year, Chris Christie gave Aitken a full pardon, which removed the felony conviction:

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/local/south-jersey/2018/01/13/christie-brian-aitken-gun-law-pardon/1030859001/

4 hours ago, areacode201 said:

...  The only risk of getting jammed up is if the police end up at your home for some reason.

With some of the new laws making their way through the legislation, that could happen because a neighbor/acquaintance who has a grudge against you reports you as a "threat" and the court issues a warrant for seizure of your firearms.

6 hours ago, areacode201 said:

So it seems non-compliance will mean either A) reasonable LEO's may use their discretion to say "Listen I could jam you up over this but I won't" or B) you end up with Brian Aitken.  It's a real roll of the dice.  

I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of 15+ mags currently in NJ that never leave the safety of the gun vault at home.  The only risk of getting jammed up is if the police end up at your home for some reason.

STATE OF N.J. V. JOSEPH PELLETERI: https://law.justia.com/cases/new-jersey/appellate-division-published/1996/a339-95-opn.html

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bob2222 said:

And as always..... I am sure there is more to that story.....

Why were the police searching the house..... 

When the police recovered the gun from defendant's residence in December 1993

1 hour ago, Bob2222 said:

Per the article:

Argued October 2, 1996 - Decided October 21, 1996

So, every few decades, someone gets busted with "high" capacity mags?

Sound like pretty good odds in our favor.

24 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Per the article:

So, every few decades, someone gets busted with "high" capacity mags?

Sound like pretty good odds in our favor.

My guess it happens more often than that, but it also mostly happens in Trenton, Camden and Newark and it's just one of a boatload of charges that are filed in a case.

I am not a lucky person. Whenever I did something wrong in school, I managed to get caught. My last speeding ticket was in a speed trap that I knew about, and drove through 2 x every week.

Pelleteri didn't know he had a high capacity magazine. He became a felon and lost his right to firearms.

Joe Btfsplk.jpg

55 minutes ago, Bob2222 said:

I am not a lucky person. Whenever I did something wrong in school, I managed to get caught. My last speeding ticket was in a speed trap that I knew about, and drove through 2 x every week.

I don’t think anyone is saying to wear them around your neck to ShopRite. But just keep them. 

P.S. I’m glad I didn’t go to school with you. :)  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 3:37 PM, Iggyort said:

Under Florio I got rid of my 30s, now I have to get rid of my 15s. Someone has to pay me !!!!

I don't have any 15 round mags, never did.

I did buy some PVC pipe from Lowes though, you know - for a potato gun is all. 

When does the new law go into effect?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There is no law yet. We may get lucky and Sweeney may table everything. So there may not be a law. You never know.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There is no law yet. We may get lucky and Sweeney may table everything. So there may not be a law. You never know.

I see a lot of people are selling mags, so i assumed that was in anticipation. Would Sweeney really table it? I sort of doubt he would. Would be nice though.

I see a lot of people are selling mags, so i assumed that was in anticipation. Would Sweeney really table it? I sort of doubt he would. Would be nice though.

There was a rumor floating around. Sweeney has tabled bills in the past and was at one time A Rated by the NRA. I'm sure he doesn't like Murphy for stealing governorship and he can't be too happy with his own party for NJEA trying to get him voted out of office. Then again he probably holds a grudge about people on his lawn. I doubt he will table them, but you never know.

• Like 1

Did Sweeney oppose the 10 round limit last time it was passed after sandy hook?
No but he was looking to be governor at the time. He did oppose it years ago. I don't think he is going to block anything but you never know.

Look to the last NJ gun control bill, the one that Christie vetoed (mildly surprising me, but he was running for president) and the legislature sustained (mildly surprising me, but Christie must have twisted some arms). IIRC it was mainly Sweeney's pet bill.

There seems to be bad blood between Sweeney and Murphy (and the NJEA, which endorsed a Republican to run against Sweeney last year. Sweeney still won it by 18 (eighteen) points. http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/11/njea_failed_bid_to_defeat_steve_sweeney_electrifie.html)

Sweeney knows that Murphy is only going to be there for 4, maybe 8 (*) years. Then someone else.

There really is no solution to NJ's financial problems without angering more than half the residents of the state.  Now Murphy is going to be "the one".

* The last time a Democrat won a second term election for NJ governor was Brendan Byrne in November 1977. Surprising, considering how deep blue the state is.

The proof will be in the pudding. If the Assembly-passed bill gets a hearing in a Senate committee then gets to the floor of the Senate, you know Sweeney is behind it and would rather screw us than try to screw Gov. Gopher and Georgie Porgie Norcross.