On 4/3/2018 at 10:19 AM, T Bill said:

Passed Assembly sent to Senate. No Action by Senate to this date.

History

Date Chamber Action
2018-03-26 Assembly Passed by the Assembly (48-25-3)
2018-03-26 Assembly Motion To Table (Pintor Marin) (49-26-0)
2018-03-26 Assembly Motion To Aa (Rooney)
2018-03-22 Assembly Reported out of Assembly Comm. with Amendments, 2nd Reading
2018-03-05 Assembly Reported and Referred to Assembly Appropriations Committee
2018-02-01 Assembly Introduced, Referred to Assembly Judiciary Committee

Action will be on MONDAY, 4/16/2018 at 10:30 - see separate post

On 4/2/2018 at 10:05 PM, 1LtCAP said:

there is no such thing as permanent.

Exactly...Anyone who has been through earlier capacity reductions care to take a guess -what is the acid-test? A cop trying to pull it apart by hand on the side of the road? Shooting a 9mm at it? Withstanding a hammer attack by the Lefty-Magazine-Safety-Board? The judge being in a good-mood?

This is my first ban, just missed the last from 30-15, --- and I can't say I enjoy being treated like a criminal, but I'm sure this is no different then anyone else here.

1 minute ago, Combat Auto said:

This is my first ban,

There is no ban... YET, (although it doesn't look good). Gov. Gopher has to sign it into law after it passes the Senate, then there is 180 days to comply. If it gets signed into law, hopefully some legal challenges can "redirect" it or delay it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

There is no ban... YET, (although it doesn't look good). Gov. Gopher has to sign it into law after it passes the Senate, then there is 180 days to comply. If it gets signed into law, hopefully some legal challenges can "redirect" it or delay it.

Yep, I know this, just starting to prepare for the inevitable. I have several-types of really cheep mag-blockers made from plastic which I purchased. The big question is how far do we have to go to "seal-them-up". As 1LTCap said, ain't nothing permanent.

8 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

Yep, I know this, just starting to prepare for the inevitable. I have several-types of really cheep mag-blockers made from plastic which I purchased. The big question is how far do we have to go to "seal-them-up". As 1LTCap said, ain't nothing permanent.

I asked a similar question earlier, to see how many people have been busted with "larger" mags (more than 15). Based on responses, that is an extreme rarity. No one has ever seen LEOs walk down the firing line checking mag capacities at ranges.

My suggestion/opinion (non legal, it's worth what you pay for it), is that if you installed the blockers and put the end caps back on, you met the legal limit per the law. I haven't seen specific legal details what's considered "permanent". Permanent seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

I ordered restricted cap mags (15/20), and all the supplier did was install a blocker. They didn't epoxy the baseplates and certified these mags as "NJ Legal".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

I asked a similar question earlier, to see how many people have been busted with "larger" mags (more than 15). Based on responses, that is an extreme rarity. No one has ever seen LEOs walk down the firing line checking mag capacities at ranges.

My suggestion/opinion (non legal, it's worth what you pay for it), is that if you installed the blockers and put the end caps back on, you met the legal limit per the law. I haven't seen specific legal details what's considered "permanent". Permanent seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

I ordered restricted cap mags (15/20), and all the supplier did was install a blocker. They didn't epoxy the baseplates and certified these mags as "NJ Legal".

That is good input, and what the supplier did is interesting...Some of the other methods I've read about are epoxying the blocker to either the spring or bottom locking plate. Can argue if one takes the blocker out a part of the mag comes out and is hence inoperable (without new parts being added). 

I think a traffic stop on the way to/from the range might be a place were crap can happen. Of course always on best behavior with gun gear in car, and always say "I do not give permission" to inspect the trunk.

26 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

I think a traffic stop on the way to/from the range might be a place were crap can happen. Of course always on best behavior with gun gear in car, and always say "I do not give permission" to inspect the trunk.

A traffic stop could be an issue, but I believe there would have to be more to it than just the stop. If the LEOs have some probable cause to search, something else seems out of sync, or they're concerned, then they might look closer. Just being pulled over, and you check out OK, I doubt they're going to be counting rounds in a mag or checking for epoxied baseplates, unless they suspect you're up to no good.

On 4/15/2018 at 1:53 PM, Sniper22 said:

A traffic stop could be an issue, but I believe there would have to be more to it than just the stop. If the LEOs have some probable cause to search, something else seems out of sync, or they're concerned, then they might look closer. Just being pulled over, and you check out OK, I doubt they're going to be counting rounds in a mag or checking for epoxied baseplates, unless they suspect you're up to no good.

I'm sure you've seen this update from the Senate Committee hearing Monday, says "grandfathering" so some hope, although we don't know what that means until the language comes out: 

S.102 by Sen. Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg (D) is a magazine and gun ban. This legislation would ban magazines with a capacity greater than 10.   The committee indicated that there would be amendments on this bill addressing grandfathering, but the language has not been made available.  Please follow NRA-ILA alerts for further updates