jm1827

Receiving random phone calls?

My wife's cell phone just recently started receiving random phone calls, anywhere from 2- 4 a day.  They are from various places in NJ such as Roxbury, Ramsey, Hackensack, Union City, all are from a 201 area code, which is the same as my wife's cell.

I started answering some and calling back others and they are telling me that they are calling us back because we just called.  Now, I know we didn't call any of them and they are not on our outgoing call list on the phone.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on here? 

Usually it's some parasite selling solar panels, looking to change your electric provider, or just wanting money. I usually let them talk for awhile then I say "You sound nice, maybe you and I could get together sometime and you could give me a BJ." They usually hang up and then someone else calls back in a few days and the whole vicious cycle continues. 

• Like 3

Many companies set up massive call centers in India over the last couple decades. They built facilities and trained lots of people.

Then a mix of public perception, the accents, and some business deals, those companies moved their call centers to the Phillipines instead.

Now many of the centers in India have the tools and people, but no business to work for. So these "entreupreneurs" use spoofed numbers (impersonating your area code and some even the exchange, that's the second set of 3 numbers in your phone number) and call for a variety of things, ranging from shady but real products like electrical or solar, to downright scams like pretending they're Microsoft or the IRS.

16 minutes ago, gfl216 said:

Usually it's some parasite selling solar panels, looking to change your electric provider, or just wanting money. I usually let them talk for awhile then I say "You sound nice, maybe you and I could get together sometime and you could give me a BJ." They usually hang up and then someone else calls back in a few days and the whole vicious cycle continues. 

I've been going through this for over a year with a company that sells home security systems and I've been having fun with them. They call once or twice a week. They called on Tuesday and I told the guy that I just dug a mote and released dolphins equipped with helmets that shoot laser beams. He hung up on me...........next week it will be fire breathing T-Rexes. It's come to the point where I kinda look forward to their calls 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fishnut said:

It's come to the point where I kinda look forward to their calls 

Hahahah Me Too. I especially like it when the caller is a guy and I ask for a BJ the reaction is priceless.

"I especially like it when the caller is a guy and I ask for a BJ"

LOL Never in a million years thought that I would ever type those words. My poor father is probably rolling over in his grave.

• Like 1

It's been happening to me for months. It's often my area code and the three numbers of the exchange. Like Tunaman I don't answer any call that isn't in my contact list. If it's a legitimate call they'll leave a message. It's actually kind of freeing.

I don't bother blocking numbers anymore because the spammers keep changing their numbers.

I answer the phone and pretend I'm a movie cop.  I have been:

Inspector Calihan

Officer Hoyt

Detective Harris

Sherriff Bufford T Justice

Sergeant Sullivan

And others that I can't remember.  Fun

Just now, The_Matrix said:

I have been getting these calls for months.  It gets so annoying cause what if it was a real call with an emergency.

Already happened to me.  ADT called from a new 800 # not in my list, didnt answer.  Turns out wife hit the alarm panic button by mistake and immediately disabled it, too late.  Neither of us answered our phones so the cops showed up.  False alarm but these spammers are a cause of grief. 

Depending on my mood, I deal with unwanted phone calls in a couple different ways.  Sometimes I answer, hear dead space, say hello and hear the click of the auto dialer connecting the call to the schmuck wearing a headset on the other end.  They make their intro and then I just keep saying hello....helooooo...wtf, um helooooo.  The responses vary from immediate hangups on their end to them shouting hello back at me.  It becomes like a game of chicken to see how long the moron on the other end keeps it up.  Other times I'll say oh, hi, can you hang on a sec, sure..then I put the phone on speaker and put it down until they get the hint and hang up.  If I have a lot of time on my hands, i sometimes employ reverse social engineering and keep them on the phone as long as possible, this is bad for them because they are on a timer for call completion.  they start getting frustrated but don't want to hang up because they invested a lot of time in the call.  A couple of times I spoke in am ade up language...  girpgork mutata arf ag rungua doof morg.  click...  never hear from them again.

7 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I use an app called Mr. Number to detect and block spam calls like these. Cuts down dramatically on the number of bullshit calls like this. Allows you to block those that get through. 

Free?

In reality, I should not have to pay NOT to get harassed. 

Thanks everyone.

Just to be clear, the majority of the calls we have been receiving don't appear to be spam, they are coming from individuals who are somehow receiving calls from our number and then calling us back, or at least that is what they are telling us.  I spoke with several of them and they seemed legit, people calling us back saying they just received a call fro our number.

And I know neither my wife or I are making any calls.

We had something kind of similar.  Someone in NY, I think Harlem, got on our account and somehow was able to use our number.  Do yourself a favor and call the phone company to have it checked out.  That sounds suspiciously like someone maybe got a hold of your account.  

14 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

Thanks everyone.

Just to be clear, the majority of the calls we have been receiving don't appear to be spam, they are coming from individuals who are somehow receiving calls from our number and then calling us back, or at least that is what they are telling us.  I spoke with several of them and they seemed legit, people calling us back saying they just received a call fro our number.

It’s called phishing. And it is becoming a real issue. A few months ago a lot of discussion on 101.5 bout it.

I don't answer any calls that are not in my contact list or that I do not recognize (which means, 90%+ of my calls go unanswered).  If they really wanted to get in touch with me, they can leave a VM..  If not, they do not, and they are spammers. 

If you have a service that can do simlu-ring, sign up for NoMoRobo, as DT said above. It's free for landlines and will block those calls. The telemarketers spoof the phone numbers, but use an incorrect caller id. It has been working great for me. Phone rings once or sometimes twice and hangs up. Very few false calls now.

I get up to 4 in a day from a car warranty company that spoofs a local town, but always a different set of digits.  Once I told them that they were violating my Do Not Call registry and that I record every call in order to report them for the penalty, and the guy smugly replied that he was recording ME, I just laughed at him.  Since then, they have sort of given up.

Turns out this boiler room actually does try to sell you an extended warranty (for a car we no longer own), but they will transfer you to "Finance" for the hard sell...$140 right that minute, and $3500 for the remainder of the plan.  They get snippy and irritated if you don't hand over a card number right away.  This according to a woman out west who stayed on long enough to hear the details.  I never got that far, but if I'm bored one day...

Imagine if some schmuck actually buys the entire plan and then has a need to submit a claim.   Sorry Sir, our comprehensive drivetrain warranty only covers wiper blade replacement.  Click!

The NRA is another one, but at least in my case they come up on the ID as such.  They always will keep you on with ever decreasing donation amounts.  Can't do $50 today?  How about 30?   No?  How about 20?  No?  How about 15?  10 for a useless tote bag?

I got the call from the home security company again this morning. Once I got a.live person on the phone and he was done with his spiel I asked if they install machine gun pillboxes and help get rid of the body's after an attack. He actually started laughing before he hung up

On 3/30/2018 at 7:50 AM, jm1827 said:

Thanks everyone.

I've gotten this a couple times - the auto dialers are spoofing phone numbers

These telemarketers spoof numbers so there is a chance they spoof your cell to call others.  More often than not they use a google voice number or spoof an out of service number.  There is also an area code they create numbers that generate a $20 charge when they call you don’t say anything and then you call back.  I believe it is in U.S. Virgin Islands.  I thought I was getting the calls because of my business but I guess everyone gets them now.  The ones that do answer are just as annoying they are usually electric supplier, solar, and fake google.

On 3/29/2018 at 11:31 PM, Displaced Texan said:

I use an app called Mr. Number to detect and block spam calls like these. Cuts down dramatically on the number of bullshit calls like this. Allows you to block those that get through. 

So do I.   And yes, it is free.   It often finds identifying info for the number listed.

Yah, I get those calls also. Thank goodness for caller ID.  It works wonders.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:50 AM, jm1827 said:

Thanks everyone.

The spammers randomly picked your number to be the spoofed number that shows up on CLI for the people they are cold calling. Those real people are calling back but getting you, not the spammer.

• Like 1