jm1827

Receiving random phone calls?

23 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

The spammers randomly picked your number to be the spoofed number that shows up on CLI for the people they are cold calling. Those real people are calling back but getting you, not the spammer.

This makes compete sense- anything I can do to stop it besides keep blocking every individual number?

I got another one today from the home security company

He asked my name, I said Donald Trump. He asked how running the country was going and how was everyone in the whitehouse. I said everything was just great running the best country in the world and my staff is top notch. I also told him everyone around me has guns so I don't need any more security. Then he said that Hillary Clinton gave him my number and asked me to call. I told him she is a lying bitch and should be hung as a traitor and he hung up on me again.

Tomorrow it's going to be a super troopers theme. Meow sir 

• Like 4

I have two VoIP lines, one with Ooma and one with Magic Jack.  Ooma has NomoRobo built in and screens the calls very well.  Magic Jack never had anything so I had all of its inbound calls forwarded to the Ooma line which solved that problem.  I separated them the other day and started getting lots of crap calls on the Magic Jack line.  I checked there web page and found they have a new feature which should end all of this.  Any call to that number from a non-Magic Jack number requires the caller to press any key on their phone within 12 seconds otherwise the call will not go through.  This should kill all the computer based calls.  I keep that line as I bought the unit about four years ago for $99 and it included five years of service.

I have two VoIP lines, one with Ooma and one with Magic Jack.  Ooma has NomoRobo built in and screens the calls very well.  Magic Jack never had anything so I had all of its inbound calls forwarded to the Ooma line which solved that problem.  I separated them the other day and started getting lots of crap calls on the Magic Jack line.  I checked there web page and found they have a new feature which should end all of this.  Any call to that number from a non-Magic Jack number requires the caller to press any key on their phone within 12 seconds otherwise the call will not go through.  This should kill all the computer based calls.  I keep that line as I bought the unit about four years ago for $99 and it included five years of service.

I just tried calling the number and it works. It says to continue to call press “x” where “x” is a different one digit number each time a call is placed.

On 4/2/2018 at 11:32 AM, HBecwithFn7 said:

So do I.   And yes, it is free.   It often finds identifying info for the number listed.

Yah, I get those calls also. Thank goodness for caller ID.  It works wonders.

The reason you keep getting those random calls is because of the FREE app.

If an app is free, YOU'RE the product being sold.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:14 PM, Hairless_Ape said:

I get 3 - 4 electricity supplier scam calls a day, plus the NRA begging for money almost every day. I block every number they call from, but they're all spoofed so it doesn't help.

NEVER give the NRA your real phone number.

52 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

The reason you keep getting those random calls is because of the FREE app.

If an app is free, YOU'RE the product being sold.

I don't seem to be getting calls that such a free ap might be feeding me.  I know where the calls are coming from. After all, my business phone number is public info. on a public website. And I have the same app on my personal cell phone and I hardly get any of these calls. 

On 4/2/2018 at 10:24 AM, AlDente67 said:

I get up to 4 in a day from a car warranty company that spoofs a local town, but always a different set of digits.  Once I told them that they were violating my Do Not Call registry and that I record every call in order to report them for the penalty, and the guy smugly replied that he was recording ME, I just laughed at him.  Since then, they have sort of given up.

Turns out this boiler room actually does try to sell you an extended warranty (for a car we no longer own), but they will transfer you to "Finance" for the hard sell...$140 right that minute, and $3500 for the remainder of the plan.  They get snippy and irritated if you don't hand over a card number right away.  This according to a woman out west who stayed on long enough to hear the details.  I never got that far, but if I'm bored one day...

Imagine if some schmuck actually buys the entire plan and then has a need to submit a claim.   Sorry Sir, our comprehensive drivetrain warranty only covers wiper blade replacement.  Click!

The NRA is another one, but at least in my case they come up on the ID as such.  They always will keep you on with ever decreasing donation amounts.  Can't do $50 today?  How about 30?   No?  How about 20?  No?  How about 15?  10 for a useless tote bag?

If they ask for a card number I will say sure.

Card number?

ummm, it should be 16 digits.

Nope, my card number is just 7, I got this card early on.  Trust me it's just 7.

I have another card if you'd like.

Okay, what is that number?

e to the j*pi over four (e^(j*pi/4))

ummm, what?

It's a complex number, it gives the card better crytographic security.

eventually they'll get PO'd hang up.

• Like 1