sharktooth

PA to NJ move, inherited guns in NJ?

28 posts in this topic

I've been dealing with two recent deaths in my family, my father and an uncle.

My father was a NJ resident his whole life, (I was born in NJ but have lived in PA and NJ on and off for the last 20 years).

My uncle was a PA resident all of his life but hunted in NJ and kept a few guns at my father's house.

My father had a 12ga side by side shotgun, an Enfield 303 rifle, and a .22 LR rifle. My uncle owned many guns, both here in PA and a few in NJ. Most that were in PA cannot be taken to NJ.
He had a 12ga pump single barrel shotgun, a .410 single shot shotgun, a 20ga side by side barrel shotgun, an M1 Garand, a Henry .45 rifle, and a pump action .22 which he kept in NJ at my dad's house.
I am the sole heir to my dad's house and my uncle gave me his guns before he passed away, (there's no other relatives either way but he told me 5 or more years ago as he got too old to hunt that the guns were mine.

PA doesn't register long arms, and doesn't require any paperwork to transfer one that I've ever seen. I have never had an FID card in NJ.

I've also got several of my own guns here in PA, most of which were bought at local flea markets and estate sales. (I've never so much as been asked for my name let alone any formal ID or driver's license, let alone any sort of Firearm ID card. These will also be coming with me. I have no handguns. If I need to pay a dealer to ship them, I'll likely just give them to a buddy here. The cost of shipping them through a dealer would far exceed what I paid for any of them here.

Do I have to get an FID card?  I don't intend to purchase any new guns and likely won't ever need to buy ammo if I can bring what I have from PA with me when I move.


I had to sell off most of the guns my uncle kept in PA, but most of the ammo remains.
He had several M1 Carbine's there, a few full automatics, and several AK variants that I was told cannot come to NJ. Those were all sold.
Now what I do have is roughly 50,000 rounds of .30 Carbine ammo in PA. and nothing to fire it in. Is there a NJ legal gun that uses it? Can I legally bring the ammo to NJ?                              (As a note, most of the guns my uncle left me in PA were sold to a used gun collector in PA, the requirement that I needed to use an FFL in PA to transfer the guns to NJ was more trouble and costly than it was worth. Many were broken down in parts and sold online as well. The logistics of storing so many guns here was also going to be a big issue. I also had problems finding an FFL in PA who wanted to get involved, and the few that did wanted anywhere from $50 to $100 per gun to make the transfer. I only inquired about shotguns, so there was no NJ legal issues at hand, they just didn't care to deal with it and weren't familiar with doing such a transfer.) 

I will be moving full time to NJ in June, the house I am moving to belonged to my father and his and my uncle's guns are there. Since I am not purchasing any guns, do I still need an FID card to posses those guns? I called the local PD in the town where my dad's house is and was told that I need to apply for an FID card and purchasers permit for each gun, and I needed to be fingerprinted. I am not purchasing any guns, both persons in question are dead, the guns are mine by default, as is the house, the cars, and everything else they owned. Many of the guns were handed down through generations the same way.
I'm a bit unclear on what the FID card is since we didn't have any such thing in PA or any other state I've lived in. I'm certain that neither my dad or uncle had one either, they both hunted family land or farms or shot at a gun club. I'm not even sure if they ever needed a card but most if not all the guns in question are older than 1970 and were either inherited by them or bought new over 40 years ago. I do know that my uncle bought most of his ammo in PA, he had a buddy years ago who got him deals on ammo somewhere and he did his own reloading. (I also have all his reloading equipment and supplies that covers just about every size shot shell and rifle round known, plus loads of supplies as well).

Now, I will likely continue to hunt in PA, not so much in NJ, what are the laws about carrying a shotgun from NJ to PA for hunting?

Also, Do I need an FID card to receive a gun as a gift or from a friend who wishes me to have a particular gun? (A family friend in NJ was going to give his antique 30/30 Winchester to my dad, but dad is gone and he told me he'd like me to have it. Its probably just a wall hanger in the condition its in but do I need anything to accept it in NJ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Condolences on the recent deaths in the family.  Horrible to lose your uncle and father so close together.

If you're going to be a NJ resident and own guns then IMO getting a FID card is a must.  Particularly since you'll be transporting them at some point to hunt, you'll need to have the FID card.

Others will jump in with a more complete answer, but the fact that you don't have any pistols makes things easier.  There's no registration process for long guns, and you've gotten rid of all of the evil guns that aren't allowed in NJ, so once you get the FID card I don't think there's anything additional you have to do other than lean about the crazy transportation and non-carry laws here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm a PA resident who shoots and hunts in NJ on private land. I've been reading this forum for a while now trying to understand NJ and its odd firearm laws. I have a family friend lets us help control pests on his farm, he's in a rural area of NJ and we shoot totally on private land.
I regularly make the drive from PA to NJ with several of my shotguns and a small rifle in the trunk, so do many others.
Am I breaking some law doing so? What's the difference between me coming to NJ to hunt or target shoot at a range there and returning home with my guns when I'm done vs. say giving one to a buddy to keep or store there?

They do the same here, several buddies come up here to skeet shoot at a buddies place here, I can't say whether or not they have any NJ 'FID' cards or what ever you call it there, but as far as I know they're not breaking any laws here in PA. Long guns are pretty loosely looked after, especially if sold used between friends. There's no background checks or any reporting done when they change hands used. A new gun dealer has to run what we call a PICS check though, sort of PA's own version of the NICS check but done on the spot at the gun shop, no waiting.

I also have four or more of my older shot guns at a buddies place in NJ, that way I don't have to haul so many every time I go and he can use them if needed as well. He's got more locker space there than I do here at home. I bought all of those at local flea markets or yard sales, so I'm not too concerned about them. they're functional but far from collectible. In my opinion, there's a fine line between which rifles and shot guns I consider mine or his these days. A few I just left there because I don't need them any more or because they got a bit rough shooting in the rain. I keep my good guns with me and carry them back and forth but I'm always buying something used just to try something new. If I like it, it gets fixed up and kept, if not, I often just leave it at his farm as sort of a back up or loaner there. We're not talking anything of any value, just $50 shot guns with glued and screwed stocks, rusty spots all over them and a handful of odd or mismatched parts just to keep them going. Most are older single shot shotguns. I also bring most of my ammo with me, I reload my own and buy some online here, I've tried to buy ammo over in NJ but most places won't sell to me since I don't have a NJ FID card. I don't think a NJ shooter would have any issues buying ammo to use here in PA though.

One issue I did run into recently is when trying to buy several used guns at an auction in NJ, I was interested in four rifles, the auctioneer said I needed to have a FID card or I couldn't bid. I was going to have a buddy there bid and buy them instead but as a NJ resident they said he could only purchase two per month thus he couldn't bid on all four. I gave up and didn't bother either way. The whole mess wasn't worth the hassle. Only one of them were complete, the one that was likely was likely too gummed up and stiff to even fire yet they treated them as if they were dangerous weapons.

Isn't it legal for a non resident in NJ to buy a gun at an auction? This was a private estate sale being held in northern NJ. As far as i know the guns went unsold at the sale since there were more guns in the collection than there were bidders with NJ FID cards. I think only 4 persons there had cards, and there were 31 guns up for auction that day. We're not talking assault weapons or new guns here, most of them were over 100 years old, which here in PA are exempt from any regulations as antiques. I can't count how many times here in PA I've walked out of a flea market with more than a half dozen or so old rifles or shotguns in various condition, and wasn't breaking any law in doing so.

I too inherited a handful of 'family heirloom rifles and shotguns, they were all here in PA though and in the house I lived it at the time. They just became mine, no registration, nothing. What was grandpops, became my pops, when he pasted they became mine. I still use several of those guns and carry one of them to NJ when I go shooting. Its never been any thing more than just toss our guns in the trunk or back of the SUV and head to Jersey to Ben's farm for a day shooting varmints and/or a few targets he's got set up on the back side of a hill there.

They don't expect us to have our guns transferred across state lines via an FFL every time we go shooting there do they?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Non-residents can apply for and obtain a NJ FPID card. You apply at the NJSP station closest to your home. The auctioneer was wrong in telling you that you could only buy two. Long gun purchases are unrestricted once you have an FPID. It also allows you to transport long guns outside of the stated exemptions in the statutes - and yes, you have been breaking the law - unless you were transporting to hunt, in which case you would need a valid NJ hunting license, or going to a bonafide range or competition, with no deviations from the route between home and your destination. There is no exemption for shooting on your friend's private property. Possession of an FPID might allow you to transport to your friend's property, but I'm not sure. It would also allow you to purchase handgun ammunition.

FYI - PICS is NICS. Like NJ Pennsylvania is a point of contact state where NICS is administered by the state police. Most staes the dealer contacts NICS (administered by the FBI) directly.

When it comes to NJ laws for non-residents and guns - the simple answer is DON'T.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The part that I don't get is that these are all long guns, why would NJ care if I was going to shoot at a public or private range?

My buddy there has a huge chunk of land attached to his farm, its an area that forms sort of a valley with hills on three sides. Its perfect for target shooting. Only his family and a few friends shoot there. We've been doing so for decades.
In PA, carrying the guns in the truck isn't a problem, I rarely go out without at least one shotgun in the back. My Bronco has a gun safe in the back, it will hold about 8 long guns if they're not in cases. I don't hunt, and have no intention of getting a hunting license, its not worth all the hassle but I don't see why they would forbid someone from just shooting targets on private property?

Here in PA we can shoot anywhere just so its not near a house. Guns can be had without any special card or id.

I was told by a local PD some time ago that carrying the guns in the trunk was fine, just so they go back with me or they don't 'change hands'.

I don't see how a NJ hunting license would help if were shooting rifles, I didn't think you could hunt with a rifle in NJ? (Other than black powder).

One of my favorite guns to shoot there is my .303 Enfield and my old Remington .22 pump. As far as hunting on his land, shooting either rats or other nuisance critters, I don't think there's a license for that. As far as I know he doesn't need a license to protect his crops either. He's been shooting deer there for decades in the fields, they even gather hunting parties to lessen the population on the property there. Other than the rats that they shoot, I don't suppose much goes to waste, a few of the guys even eat the ground hogs they shoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BubbaJ said:

The part that I don't get is that these are all long guns, why would NJ care if I was going to shoot at a public or private range?

 

NJ has laws about the transfer of a firearm between individuals. Under most circumstances, if you hand your rifle to your buddy and say "here, try this out" you just affected a transfer, and in most instances that is not legal without the right paperwork. However, if you are at a private range that has filed the right paper work, you are exempt. I believe there is also some form of exemption for hunting. I don't hunt, so I haven't read through that chunk too often and wouldn't trust my memory without verification. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I can't bring my gun to NJ to shoot at a private range, (AKA buddies back yard shooting range), and I can't use his guns?

What sort of idiot made that rule? I don't hunt, I don't intend to anytime soon. After reading through all the hoops you have to jump through in NJ to get a license, Its not worth the hassle. I do know that my buddy hunts his own ground, he has the right to protect his crops from deer and other critters. The funny part is that on any given weekend, there's a 15 or so guys out there shooting, I'd venture to bet not a one owns their own gun, they just use what he's got in the shack down back. No one shoots there without him knowing who's out there, and rarely does anyone shoot there without him present. He's pretty strict with the rules there. I've been shooting there for 40 years.

A number of years ago, I got pulled over, in NJ, with a shotgun in a pickup truck, the gun was a side by side 12ga. The gun was cracked open and unloaded, the ammo in a box in the glove box. The gun was and old Husqvarna from the early 20's.. The guy said he stopped me because I was going slow, he thought I might have been looking for deer. (I was driving an old worn out '65 Chevy C30 p/u with a 292 straight six, a three on the tree and a super low rear axle. The thing topped out at about 52 mph. After he looked the truck over, he asked to see the shotgun, I said sure, he then asked if he could fire it, I said, go for it. He went back to his car, grabbed a handful of shells and proceeded to blast a couple rounds into a no hunting sign on a tree. He asked if I wanted to sell it, I said no, its an heirloom , and he handed it back to me and said have a nice day. That was back in the mid 70's or so. I had FL tags on that truck and had just moved back to PA, but was headed home from shooting clays at my buddies farm. I guess things have changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 7:08 AM, 9X19 said:

Ruger makes a blackhawk revolver chambered on 30 carbine....you would have a lifetime supply of ammo with that gun...

Or at least until they ban revolvers in NJ.

I have one. Only bought it because I was given a lot of ammo when they got rid of the rifle that Jersey Morons said is illegal to own......

 

And OP, why in the world would you want to come to NJ? I want out, wanna swap houses and make things easy for both of us? I can not wait to leave!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 9, 2018 at 1:40 AM, BubbaJ said:

So I can't bring my gun to NJ to shoot at a private range, (AKA buddies back yard shooting range), and I can't use his guns?

What sort of idiot made that rule? I don't hunt, I don't intend to anytime soon. After reading through all the hoops you have to jump through in NJ to get a license, Its not worth the hassle. I do know that my buddy hunts his own ground, he has the right to protect his crops from deer and other critters. The funny part is that on any given weekend, there's a 15 or so guys out there shooting, I'd venture to bet not a one owns their own gun, they just use what he's got in the shack down back. No one shoots there without him knowing who's out there, and rarely does anyone shoot there without him present. He's pretty strict with the rules there. I've been shooting there for 40 years.

A number of years ago, I got pulled over, in NJ, with a shotgun in a pickup truck, the gun was a side by side 12ga. The gun was cracked open and unloaded, the ammo in a box in the glove box. The gun was and old Husqvarna from the early 20's.. The guy said he stopped me because I was going slow, he thought I might have been looking for deer. (I was driving an old worn out '65 Chevy C30 p/u with a 292 straight six, a three on the tree and a super low rear axle. The thing topped out at about 52 mph. After he looked the truck over, he asked to see the shotgun, I said sure, he then asked if he could fire it, I said, go for it. He went back to his car, grabbed a handful of shells and proceeded to blast a couple rounds into a no hunting sign on a tree. He asked if I wanted to sell it, I said no, its an heirloom , and he handed it back to me and said have a nice day. That was back in the mid 70's or so. I had FL tags on that truck and had just moved back to PA, but was headed home from shooting clays at my buddies farm. I guess things have changed.

Ha now you'll know why many refer to NJ as PRNJ.

one way to help understand how this all works (I forget who said this on here) is to realize that guns are illegal in NJ except with specific exceptions (I.e. Going to a range, hunting, competition, etc[?]). Growing up in and now moving back to NC, I wish I could experience the euphoria NJ gun owners must feel when they move out of state. And again when they realize they don't need a permit to do something like pave their own driveway lol.

to the OP, sorry for your loss. Can't imagine to have both of those so close together. Definitely give JT a call. He and a few other shop owners on this site will be your best bets for friendly AND credible info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an update, I've been busy dealing with all the paperwork and issues associated with two funerals but did get a chance to talk to someone at NJ fish and game, two persons at the NJ State Police, and several gun shops there. NJ will sell me an out of state  hunting license but from what I can see I can't bring a gun???

I was also told that if I become a NJ resident, they can 'enforce' NJ gun laws if I make a purchase out of state. Meaning that if I buy ammo or a gun in PA that doesn't meet NJ regs, I"m in violation of NJ law, even if I never bring it here or leave at my house in PA??? 

I talked to a few dealers here and in NJ near where my dad's house is and it looks like shipping a rifle from NJ to PA would cost me $35 on each end plus shipping, so I could be looking at $100 per gun, that's not acceptable. I'd be looking at more than a thousand bucks to ship them all. I don't like just leaving them in NJ, the house will be empty most of the year. But I'm told I can't legally give them to a buddy there to store when I'm not there??? He's got a huge gun safe but doesn't have a hunting license or FID card in NJ, he had his own guns but they're all old and like mine were inherited. He only uses them on his own property.

Does the same law apply if I were a NJ resident full time and wanted to shoot in PA or another state?

Hunters can't possibly have to deal with shipping their rifles or shotguns to another state through an FFL just to go target shooting for the day? How about skeet competitions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BubbaJ said:

Just an update, I've been busy dealing with all the paperwork and issues associated with two funerals but did get a chance to talk to someone at NJ fish and game, two persons at the NJ State Police, and several gun shops there. NJ will sell me an out of state  hunting license but from what I can see I can't bring a gun???

I was also told that if I become a NJ resident, they can 'enforce' NJ gun laws if I make a purchase out of state. Meaning that if I buy ammo or a gun in PA that doesn't meet NJ regs, I"m in violation of NJ law, even if I never bring it here or leave at my house in PA??? 

I talked to a few dealers here and in NJ near where my dad's house is and it looks like shipping a rifle from NJ to PA would cost me $35 on each end plus shipping, so I could be looking at $100 per gun, that's not acceptable. I'd be looking at more than a thousand bucks to ship them all. I don't like just leaving them in NJ, the house will be empty most of the year. But I'm told I can't legally give them to a buddy there to store when I'm not there??? He's got a huge gun safe but doesn't have a hunting license or FID card in NJ, he had his own guns but they're all old and like mine were inherited. He only uses them on his own property.

Does the same law apply if I were a NJ resident full time and wanted to shoot in PA or another state?

Hunters can't possibly have to deal with shipping their rifles or shotguns to another state through an FFL just to go target shooting for the day? How about skeet competitions?

NJ law stops at NJ borders.

If you're not a NJ resident you can transport any firearm or ammuntion THAT IS LEGAL IN NJ, to an exempted location (residence, range, gunsmith, ffl, hunting). Directly to exempted location and directly home.    You can stop for reasonable deviations.  You dont have to run out of gas, pee your pants, or die of thirst or starvation.  There is nothing illegal about 30  carbine ammo in NJ.  The only restriction NJ would have is if it's hollow point.  If the 50,000 rds is fmj you can load it up and drive all over NJ without breaking any law.

If you maintain dual residences you need to follow the laws of your states of residence when you're in that state.

Just leaving your guns unsecured at your friends is a bad idea IMO.  IANAL but I can't see how anyone can claim an illegal transfer if you leave the guns at your friend's secured in a safe he doesn't have the key or combination to.

You don't need anything to move your guns back and forth between you NJ residence and PA residence as long as you're going directly.  If you get a FID you can load all your  unloaded NJ legal long guns in your trunk and drive all over in NJ without breaking a law.  Not a good idea IMO.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd likely never buy ammo in NJ, its way cheaper here in PA, with a lot less hassle.

The intention is to keep my dad's old house so I have a closer house to the shore areas, and I suppose for sentimental reasons as well. My residence in PA will also stay, at least until I find something farther south. As I get older I like the cold months less and less but I also don' want to be stuck down south in the sweltering summer months. I did that for 9 years in south FL about 20 years ago and never again.

I have to say that I'm shocked that they would ban an M1 Carbine over there, its not a very imposing weapon at all.  I use mine here to shoot groundhogs in the garden from my third floor window. What about it put it on the list?

Is my Ruger 10-22 ok in NJ? Its a model 21102, it looks just like an M1 Carbine, its got a 10 round magazine.

Also, some of my .22 rifles hold as many as 17 rounds in the tube if I load shorts, would that gun be pkay in NJ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did they ban the M1 carbine?  No one knows for sure.  A lot of people say it had something to do with the Newark Riots.  My opinion is because it was a popular holdup gun in the 60s and 70s.  Easier to get than a handgun and you could conceal under a raincoat.  If you had a M1A1 with a paratrooper stock you could have all the evil features.  You could register a M1 carbine, M1A1, or AR15  but less than 400 of all three rifles  (according to my research) were registered 

10/22 is okay in NJ as long as you haven't added and evil features.

Right now a semi auto rifle with a tubular magazine holding over 15 rds is illegal in NJ.  If the gun bills that got through the legislature aren't changed and get passed by the Senate a semi auto 22 rf with a magazine of any capacity will be legal.  As far as other types of actions the Henry lever action is sold every where in NJ and can hold 21 shorts in the magazine.  Never heard of any issue being made over it.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Why did they ban the M1 carbine?  No one knows for sure.  A lot of people say it had something to do with the Newark Riots.  My opinion is because it was a popular holdup gun in the 60s and 70s.  Easier to get than a handgun and you could conceal under a raincoat.  If you had a M1A1 with a paratrooper stock you could have all the evil features.  You could register a M1 carbine, M1A1, or AR15  but less than 400 of all three rifles  (according to my research) were registered 

10/22 is okay in NJ as long as you haven't added and evil features.

Right now a semi auto rifle with a tubular magazine holding over 15 rds is illegal in NJ.  If the gun bills that got through the legislature aren't changed and get passed by the Senate a semi auto 22 rf with a magazine of any capacity will be legal.  As far as other types of actions the Henry lever action is sold every where in NJ and can hold 21 shorts in the magazine.  Never heard of any issue being made over it.

I was wondering why the m1 carbine was on the banned list  too, given that it is not full of evil scary features.  I figured that someone would make a 15 or 10 round magazine for it and it would be good to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just magazine capacity that bans M1 Carbine.  It originally had only a 15 Rd magazine.  Late in WW2 when the full auto M2 carbine was introduced a 30 Rd magazine was adopted to feed the full auto appetite.

The M1 carbine is banned in NJ as "M1 Carbine type".  That's why the new M1 carbines made can't be sold in NJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of the guns from my uncles collection were 70's era Ruger 10/22 semi autos. However they were built on M1 carbine 'Tribute' stocks, making them look just like an M1 carbine. These were not importable into NJ. The receiving dealer would not accept them even though they were stock Ruger 10/22 rifles with 10 round clips. The fact that they 'looked' the part made them illegal. The dealer even called and checked and was told that any gun 'Significantly similar' in function or appearance falls under the ban.

I still have both at my PA address, and I suppose if I find different stocks for them they'll be fine in NJ, but for now its not happening. I like these two guns, and really like the carbine style, I'm wondering now if these are banned because they are shorter versions as well as being in an M1 Carbine style stock? Ruger made and still makes a carbine version of the 10/22.

I don't see how the look of the wood stock can ban a gun??? It doesn't make it any different a gun then if it had a fiberglass stock. I like the way the M1 style stock covers the top of the barrel. I've got big hands and it makes for a good grip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always disagreed about shooting on a friends property is a not allowed place and isn't an exemption for transportation.

 

The law states.

 

f. Nothing in subsections b., c., and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

 

(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying firearms necessary for target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

 

(2) A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

 

(3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

 

(a) Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

 

(b) Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

 

There is (1) official target range exemption. (2) Any land if with a valid hunting or fishing license, (3) or other authorized place for purpose of practice, target, trap, or skeet shooting.

 

There is the official target range or club exemption and then the any authorized place exemption. This would mean land you can legally shoot on aka your friends property with his permission.

 

Crazy thing is you can only let your friend shoot your gun under exemptions 1 & 2.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The place where we always shot was a bulldozer cut out in a hill, zero chance for an over shot or rebound and its at least 1500 ft from the nearest property and double that to any houses or buildings. No one has ever come running when we were shooting. The neighbors there do the same on their land, one guy has targets set up right behind his barn, he's got at least 40 steel plates and a few rows of 'can' racks were he can line up cans and bottles to shoot at.
The do this because there's no local shooting range.

Here in PA, I shoot in the back yard behind the house or back behind the barn. All shots are towards a huge wooded hill all on our fenced in and posted property. I doubt the neighbors care much or if they can even hear us shooting. I were out there till 10pm last night with my 30-06 shooting through two cases of old surplus ammo using two trucks to provide light down range. The only neighbor that knew were there out there was sitting behind us guarding the beer cooler.

I've got four 10/22's, all have been converted to the wooden M1 Carbine style stocks, no markings on the gun have changed, just the stock and the addition of an over the top part of the stock and a new front band. I can't see why NJ would ban a weapon on its looks??? All three of my 10/22's were bought cheap with the bottom of the line composite stocks that didn't age well. I think it cost me about $90 per rifle to change over to the aftermarket M1 Carbine style stock. It in no way changed the gun in any way other than appearance. I still run the OEM 10 round magazines, I've got a few dozen of them. The higher cap mags were never reliable for me and they got tossed. A few of my most used 10 round mags crapped out too.

After reading some of the horror stories here I think NJ is just a place to stay clear of, even for vacation, if I can't bring my guns to target shoot there or hunt without a ton of hassle, I'll go elsewhere. It looks to me like NJ is just trying to outlaw all the fun out of life, what's next, will they outlaw big tits and short skirts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The place where we always shot was a bulldozer cut out in a hill, zero chance for an over shot or rebound and its at least 1500 ft from the nearest property and double that to any houses or buildings. No one has ever come running when we were shooting. The neighbors there do the same on their land, one guy has targets set up right behind his barn, he's got at least 40 steel plates and a few rows of 'can' racks were he can line up cans and bottles to shoot at.
The do this because there's no local shooting range.
Here in PA, I shoot in the back yard behind the house or back behind the barn. All shots are towards a huge wooded hill all on our fenced in and posted property. I doubt the neighbors care much or if they can even hear us shooting. I were out there till 10pm last night with my 30-06 shooting through two cases of old surplus ammo using two trucks to provide light down range. The only neighbor that knew were there out there was sitting behind us guarding the beer cooler.
I've got four 10/22's, all have been converted to the wooden M1 Carbine style stocks, no markings on the gun have changed, just the stock and the addition of an over the top part of the stock and a new front band. I can't see why NJ would ban a weapon on its looks??? All three of my 10/22's were bought cheap with the bottom of the line composite stocks that didn't age well. I think it cost me about $90 per rifle to change over to the aftermarket M1 Carbine style stock. It in no way changed the gun in any way other than appearance. I still run the OEM 10 round magazines, I've got a few dozen of them. The higher cap mags were never reliable for me and they got tossed. A few of my most used 10 round mags crapped out too.
After reading some of the horror stories here I think NJ is just a place to stay clear of, even for vacation, if I can't bring my guns to target shoot there or hunt without a ton of hassle, I'll go elsewhere. It looks to me like NJ is just trying to outlaw all the fun out of life, what's next, will they outlaw big tits and short skirts?


Bringing your 10/22 to target shoot on your friends property is perfectly legal. Just keep ammo separate from rifle both in case in the trunk or very back of SUV and no hollow points, tracers, or incendiary rounds. To be safe no AP except for .30-06. No man's over 10 rounds. No semi auto rifles with more than one of the following pistol grip, adjustable stock, grenade launcher, bayonet lug, threaded barrel, or flash hider. If pistol grip can't have any of the others. Come to think of it you're correct NJ does suck. I wouldn't come here even if someone paid me. Have your friend go to PA to shoot.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is one supposed to do with a tube fed mag on a .22? Nearly every one I've seen holds more than 10 rounds?

My 1965 Marlin model 60 holds 18, my Remington 121 holds 20. Other than my Ruger 10/22 with an M1 Carbine style stock can hold only 10 with a stock plastic mag. I still have the oem mags, they work the best compared to all the high cap mags but I can't take the M1 Carbine look alike to NJ anyhow.  When it comes to my 30-06, I usually just shoot 125 to 150 grain fmj rounds for target shooting. but I rarely bring that one out due to the cost of ammo these days.

What bothered me is that I remember reading where the NJ state police pulled some old man over with a small rifle in his car and charged him with transporting a firearm across state lines. Apparently the gun was his and he was returning from a trip to a PA gunsmith after a few repairs. it was unloaded and he had no ammo, the gun was in the back of his wagon or SUV in a gun case.

I don't have anymore specifics but I was reading this while sitting in a doctor's office a few months ago in a magazine that was in the doctors office.  I should have torn out the page or snapped a pic of the article but didn't think of it. It made me think about all the times we all crossed into NJ to shoot at the farm there. Most of the older guns have no serial numbers, there's no proof of ownership for a 50 year old rifle or shotgun, and I've never had a means to 'lock' a gun into a case in the car. My Bronco has a gun box in the back, its nothing but a false floor I built with room for about 7 rifles without cases or four or so in a case. With the back seat up, it looks like the floor of the truck until you drop the gate and see the raised floor and rear drop hatch on the box. I did it more to be able to get at my rifle or shotgun without unloading the whole truck while out hunting, and I can stop for eats without passerby's seeing I've got anything valuable in the back. There's a hidden latch on that compartment but no 'lock'.

Over here, its rare that I don't have at least one shotgun and one rifle in the back. More than once I've found the need to put down a road hit deer that was suffering.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BubbaJ said:

What is one supposed to do with a tube fed mag on a .22? Nearly every one I've seen holds more than 10 rounds?

My 1965 Marlin model 60 holds 18, my Remington 121 holds 20. Other than my Ruger 10/22 with an M1 Carbine style stock can hold only 10 with a stock plastic mag. I still have the oem mags, they work the best compared to all the high cap mags but I can't take the M1 Carbine look alike to NJ anyhow.  When it comes to my 30-06, I usually just shoot 125 to 150 grain fmj rounds for target shooting. but I rarely bring that one out due to the cost of ammo these days.

What bothered me is that I remember reading where the NJ state police pulled some old man over with a small rifle in his car and charged him with transporting a firearm across state lines. Apparently the gun was his and he was returning from a trip to a PA gunsmith after a few repairs. it was unloaded and he had no ammo, the gun was in the back of his wagon or SUV in a gun case.

I don't have anymore specifics but I was reading this while sitting in a doctor's office a few months ago in a magazine that was in the doctors office.  I should have torn out the page or snapped a pic of the article but didn't think of it. It made me think about all the times we all crossed into NJ to shoot at the farm there. Most of the older guns have no serial numbers, there's no proof of ownership for a 50 year old rifle or shotgun, and I've never had a means to 'lock' a gun into a case in the car. My Bronco has a gun box in the back, its nothing but a false floor I built with room for about 7 rifles without cases or four or so in a case. With the back seat up, it looks like the floor of the truck until you drop the gate and see the raised floor and rear drop hatch on the box. I did it more to be able to get at my rifle or shotgun without unloading the whole truck while out hunting, and I can stop for eats without passerby's seeing I've got anything valuable in the back. There's a hidden latch on that compartment but no 'lock'.

Over here, its rare that I don't have at least one shotgun and one rifle in the back. More than once I've found the need to put down a road hit deer that was suffering.

 

Tube fed .22s are exempt from the 10 round limit.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now