Sign in to follow this  
Kasper

Just put this together

IMG_2989.JPG

I put this together over that last few months. Rem 700 I got here is an older one that still has iron sights on it. Added a magpul stock and mag well. I had the Leupold 4-12 x40 LR Vx-2 it doesn’t have the nice dials but I got it on an impulse buy for a good deal. I also put a Timney 1.5 lb trigger in it. Anything else you think I would need to get some good groups at 400yrds?

To add I reload all my own ammo, any good load recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Kasper said:

IMG_2989.JPG

. Anything else you think I would need to get some good groups at 400yrds?

To add I reload all my own ammo, any good load recommendations?

Knowing a caliber would help.  Also, twist rate powders on hand or if you're willing to grab something else.  Do you have a bullet you like?  Text me if I can help.  I don't know much, just saying.

Knowing a caliber would help.  Also, twist rate powders on hand or if you're willing to grab something else.  Do you have a bullet you like?  Text me if I can help.  I don't know much, just saying.

So it’s a .308, I have IMR 4046 and I’m shooting a Sierra 150 with 43.5 grn. I will eventually get a few different bullets and see what she likes more but for now I had those bullets from my uncles old stash.

150 grain will be ok plinking but not heavy enough for a good precise load.  As @Bully says the 168 or 175 grain will provide better results. What’s the barrel length?   What brass do you have?  For your better precision loads you’ll probably want to sort by headstamp before weighing the brass.   You’ll also want to make sure you have uniformity in length.  For best OAL uniformity seat from the ogive and not the tip.  

150 grain will be ok plinking but not heavy enough for a good precise load.  As@Bully says the 168 or 175 grain will provide better results. What’s the barrel length?   What brass do you have?  For your better precision loads you’ll probably want to sort by headstamp before weighing the brass.   You’ll also want to make sure you have uniformity in length.  For best OAL uniformity seat from the ogive and not the tip.  

For now I’m just plinking. Its a 24 inch barrel. It’s mixed brass but I trimmed every case. I used Redding full length dies but I’ll likely just neck after they have been fires once. Eventually I’ll pick up some star line and some 168 match Kings. Like I said before I had the 150s so I used them..lol

8 hours ago, Kasper said:

For now I’m just plinking. Its a 24 inch barrel. It’s mixed brass but I trimmed every case. I used Redding full length dies but I’ll likely just neck after they have been fires once. Eventually I’ll pick up some star line and some 168 match Kings. Like I said before I had the 150s so I used them..lol

Try to at least sort the brass by weight to keep the variation to a min.  

Skip Starline.  Go Lapua.  Awesome brass that if you anneal, will last you a very long time.  Grab the Palma (small primer) if you can find it.  If not, the large primer does well.  

For 400, 168's will do well.  From what I've seen, they don't make 1k easily.  

Once you get up and running, if you shoot a lot, that barrel isn't too beefy.  It may start to whip a bit once it gets warmed up.  But that's an issue for down the road.  

Good luck with it.  Again, shoot me a text if I can help.  Or, if you want guested in at Cherry Ridge, I'll hook you up.  

Skip Starline.  Go Lapua.  Awesome brass that if you anneal, will last you a very long time.  Grab the Palma (small primer) if you can find it.  If not, the large primer does well.  
For 400, 168's will do well.  From what I've seen, they don't make 1k easily.  
Once you get up and running, if you shoot a lot, that barrel isn't too beefy.  It may start to whip a bit once it gets warmed up.  But that's an issue for down the road.  
Good luck with it.  Again, shoot me a text if I can help.  Or, if you want guested in at Cherry Ridge, I'll hook you up.  

Bully I lost your number when I switched to iPhone. Shoot me a text. I was there today, I was a little less accurate but a lot of that is me getting used to the rifle.