Avoid Heritage Guild (all locations)

So today I went to go to EFGA to go shoot, when I got there I found the rifle range closed for police training, which is my fault for not checking the calendar before making the trek out to Easton to go shoot for the day. It's a bit ridiculous that there is police department training almost every week at EFGA, especially on a day like today where a lot of people are off, but that's a whole different issue unto it self. Since I'm not a member anywhere else in PA or knew of anything else closer to get my shooting done, I went over to Heritage Guild. There was also a line at the door waiting for them to open at 10AM (and they didn't open until 1015). I'm waiting in line at the check in for 30 minutes, to then be handed new shooter paperwork to fill out. So i fill it out and they send me to the back of the line again to then check in. By now it's 11AM and I pay for my Range time and was given a pager to wait 45 minutes to shoot. After I already pay I then find out that their 25 yard range and tactical range were closed for the day, only the 15 yard range was open. Only having my AR15 & AR10 with me I didn't want to waste ammo and any other range I've been to has never allowed AR's on a 15 yard range, so I ask for a refund and I was told no. Ok no biggie, it as $20 I'll just shoot my AR15, I couldn't use all of my ammo I brought with the intention of shooting at EFGA, but I had some cheap ammo with me anyways so I'll mag dump it and get rid of it here. 

When I finally got called to go in the Range I was given shit by the RSO because I was wearing sunglasses for eye pro. I had lasik over the summer and have sensitivity to light issues especially when shooting indoors, having shot at GFH, RTSP & Longshot before this has NEVER been an issue at any of these places but they made a huge deal about it, they gave me clear eyepro to use so whatever. RSO's weren't friendly and were constantly looking over my shoulder making sure I wasn't rapid firing, though my AR has a Geissele SSA-E on it and single shots do come my frequently than it would on a mil spec, and low and behold an RSO is standing over my shoulder the entire time making sure I'm not double tapping or rapid firing.

While waiting I did look around the store and couldn't believe how overpriced they were on everything. Never bought anything there and never will, typically if I need things before I go to EFGA I stop at SARCO where their prices are literally half of what HG charges, but after a horrible range experience, I will not be going to Heritage Guild ever again, nor will I set foot in their Branchburg or Rahway stores.

*Side note* are there any good places to shoot near EFGA if I run in to this problem again? I should have checked the calendar before I headed out, so again that's on me but it's not uncommon that police come and take over the rifle range unannounced.

Ugh! How frustrating! I presume if you tried to shoot at EFGA and couldn't, you'd be coming back via 78 East? In which case, when you hit 31 I guess you could hop down to Tactical Training Center (TTC). I'm not aware of any other commercial ranges that would be closer than that. Although, on a holiday like this - they might be mobbed too.

Wildlife management areas in PA and NJ? That might be another option. Though you'd need a hunting license... and (at least for NJ) a different gun than an AR-15.

The private ranges in PA are so cheap to join... maybe just join another one? There's more than one in that general vicinity.

I'm sure others will chime in with better ideas. I hope your Good Friday gets much gooder immediately. :unsure:

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Ugh! How frustrating! I presume if you tried to shoot at EFGA and couldn't, you'd be coming back via 78 East? In which case, when you hit 31 I guess you could hop down to Tactical Training Center (TTC). I'm not aware of any other commercial ranges that would be closer than that. Although, on a holiday like this - they might be mobbed too.

Wildlife management areas in PA and NJ? That might be another option. Though you'd need a hunting license... and (at least for NJ) a different gun than an AR-15.

The private ranges in PA are so cheap to join... maybe just join another one? There's more than one in that general vicinity.

I'm sure others will chime in with better ideas. I hope your Good Friday gets much gooder immediately. :unsure:

You do need a permit to use the gameland ranges in PA, though there is one about 25 minutes west of EFGA that I could have went to but I've been forewarned to not go there alone from the guys at SARCO since it is unsupervised (but so is EFGA most of the time). I did think about going to TTC, though had I known this I would have brought a handgun with me, but only intended on shooting rifles today and other reasons for not going to a range in NJ today if you know what I'm talking about.

What other private ranges are in that area? I know there is one in Bath that requires endorsements and another one also in Bath that doesn't, though it doesn't have a very safe set up and heard about run in's with the law with rounds going in to nearby houses. 

Of course there is no such thing as a bad range day, on the bright side shooting short range like I did let me break in my new trigger, it's just that Heritage guild sucks. 

I don't get why they can't make police use the special purpose range and not screw paying members - same for some other events that close down certain ranges. I have a friend who can only go weekends, usually only Sundays, and with events closing all ranges down some Sundays, he realistically has fewer than 40-50 days he could actually go and use his membership, before family obligations take that down to single digits.

I always bring something else to shoot in case a range is closed or mobbed. Usually, the rimfire range is fairly empty, so a .22 rifle will keep me occupied until something else opens up.

Once I get my hunting license, Clinton is on the way back if I couldn't use EFGA (again, always pack a .22). I think a PA WMA use permit is $30, might be worth researching (including mag loading restrictions!). I looked into one when looking for 200+yd ranges in PA. I may still go for one since EFGA moves at a slower-than-glacial pace and doesn't tell members anything about the 250yd range, and I really want to do some more challenging shooting than 100yd, even if all I wanna shoot are .22 and .223.

2 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

I don't get why they can't make police use the special purpose range and not screw paying members - same for some other events that close down certain ranges. I have a friend who can only go weekends, usually only Sundays, and with events closing all ranges down some Sundays, he realistically has fewer than 40-50 days he could actually go and use his membership, before family obligations take that down to single digits.

I always bring something else to shoot in case a range is closed or mobbed. Usually, the rimfire range is fairly empty, so a .22 rifle will keep me occupied until something else opens up.

Once I get my hunting license, Clinton is on the way back if I couldn't use EFGA (again, always pack a .22). I think a PA WMA use permit is $30, might be worth researching (including mag loading restrictions!). I looked into one when looking for 200+yd ranges in PA. I may still go for one since EFGA moves at a slower-than-glacial pace and doesn't tell members anything about the 250yd range, and I really want to do some more challenging shooting than 100yd, even if all I wanna shoot are .22 and .223.

or why can't the police use the Gameland ranges :think: after all they are employed by the state. My guess is Jim (president) and other board members have friends at all these police departments and let them use the range whenever they want. During the week it's not busy otherwise. I'm actually surprised police departments are actively doing weapons training :lol: my girlfriend is a NJ state trooper and they don't have any organized weapons training other than their bi-annual qualification.

Yeah, WMA's if you have the right rifle and the hunting license/permit. In terms of other private ranges, Bath is the closest location to EFGA as far as I know. There's also: 

• Ontelaunee Rod & Gun club, but that's 40 mi further west than EFGA, http://ontelaunee.org/ 
  • you could backtrack further east to SCFGPA in Bridgewater (which is still open, I think, to new members - but no outdoor rifle) http://www.scfgpa.org/...
  • or swing a bit north to Warren county and go to Shongum. http://www.shongum.org/home.html
  • again, the 3 above are private - and might or might not meet your needs - worth looking at?

Others who know more than me will chime in. :unsure:

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Yeah, WMA's if you have the right rifle and the hunting license/permit. In terms of other private ranges, Bath is the closest location to EFGA as far as I know. There's also: 

• Ontelaunee Rod & Gun club, but that's 40 mi further west than EFGA, http://ontelaunee.org/ 
  • you could backtrack further east to SCFGPA in Bridgewater (which is still open, I think, to new members - but no outdoor rifle) http://www.scfgpa.org/...
  • or swing a bit north to Warren county and go to Shongum. http://www.shongum.org/home.html
  • again, the 3 above are private - and might or might not meet your needs - worth looking at?

Others who know more than me will chime in. :unsure:

SCFGPA, eh I'm not a fan of shooting indoors but I do live 10 minutes from there. I know @Krdshrk and a few others are members there, I'd love to check it out as a guest sometime if they allow it. Also with all of the flames our idiot legislators are throwing at us, being a member somewhere in NJ isn't in my interest right now (same goes for Shongum). 

I'll look in to Bath as well. Although all of my frustrations could be avoided if I just look at the EFGA calendar before I head out and remember to have my PA Gameland Range Permit with me at all times :lol: 

Thank you for the input!

But the police should be the only ones with guns because they are so well trained!:rolleyes:

@Mrs. Peel I think at least few of those are multi-year waiting list for new members, the one in Hackettstown would be great for me. I shoulda gotten myself on the list years ago, I might be a member now if i had.

• Like 1

Ontelaunee RGC is right near one of the PA Gameland Ranges which has the same distances as well. Both are a bit of a drive but Ontelaunee doesn't seem like a bad price at all. 

8 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

Ontelaunee RGC is right near one of the PA Gameland Ranges which has the same distances as well. Both are a bit of a drive but Ontelaunee doesn't seem like a bad price at all. 

Do you have a hunting license from any state?

10 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Do you have a hunting license from any state?

no, I have a membership to EFGA and I have the range permit from the PA State Gameland Authority

1 hour ago, JR88USMC said:

So today I went to go to EFGA to go shoot, when I got there I found the rifle range closed for police training, which is my fault for not checking the calendar before making the trek out to Easton to go shoot for the day. It's a bit ridiculous that there is police department training almost every week at EFGA, especially on a day like today where a lot of people are off, but that's a whole different issue unto it self. Since I'm not a member anywhere else in PA or knew of anything else closer to get my shooting done, I went over to Heritage Guild. There was also a line at the door waiting for them to open at 10AM (and they didn't open until 1015). I'm waiting in line at the check in for 30 minutes, to then be handed new shooter paperwork to fill out. So i fill it out and they send me to the back of the line again to then check in. By now it's 11AM and I pay for my Range time and was given a pager to wait 45 minutes to shoot. After I already pay I then find out that their 25 yard range and tactical range were closed for the day, only the 15 yard range was open. Only having my AR15 & AR10 with me I didn't want to waste ammo and any other range I've been to has never allowed AR's on a 15 yard range, so I ask for a refund and I was told no. Ok no biggie, it as $20 I'll just shoot my AR15, I couldn't use all of my ammo I brought with the intention of shooting at EFGA, but I had some cheap ammo with me anyways so I'll mag dump it and get rid of it here. 

When I finally got called to go in the Range I was given shit by the RSO because I was wearing sunglasses for eye pro. I had lasik over the summer and have sensitivity to light issues especially when shooting indoors, having shot at GFH, RTSP & Longshot before this has NEVER been an issue at any of these places but they made a huge deal about it, they gave me clear eyepro to use so whatever. RSO's weren't friendly and were constantly looking over my shoulder making sure I wasn't rapid firing, though my AR has a Geissele SSA-E on it and single shots do come my frequently than it would on a mil spec, and low and behold an RSO is standing over my shoulder the entire time making sure I'm not double tapping or rapid firing.

While waiting I did look around the store and couldn't believe how overpriced they were on everything. Never bought anything there and never will, typically if I need things before I go to EFGA I stop at SARCO where their prices are literally half of what HG charges, but after a horrible range experience, I will not be going to Heritage Guild ever again, nor will I set foot in their Branchburg or Rahway stores.

*Side note* are there any good places to shoot near EFGA if I run in to this problem again? I should have checked the calendar before I headed out, so again that's on me but it's not uncommon that police come and take over the rifle range unannounced.

You got away with only paying 20 bucks to learn a valuable lesson. Many here payed allot more to learn the same lesson. Consider your self lucky. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

SCFGPA, eh I'm not a fan of shooting indoors but I do live 10 minutes from there. I know @Krdshrk and a few others are members there, I'd love to check it out as a guest sometime if they allow it. Also with all of the flames our idiot legislators are throwing at us, being a member somewhere in NJ isn't in my interest right now (same goes for Shongum). 

I'll look in to Bath as well. Although all of my frustrations could be avoided if I just look at the EFGA calendar before I head out and remember to have my PA Gameland Range Permit with me at all times :lol: 

Thank you for the input!

Sorry you ran into such trouble!  I'd suggest joining Old Bridge because we have 7 outdoor pits from 25-100 yds all rated to .50 BMG, PLUS a dedicated shotgun range for clay birds and when the Police use our range it's just 1 pit out of 7, so plenty of room during the day, but you stated you didn't want to join a NJ outdoor range, so I'm at a loss.

Since you like shooting in PA, you may wanna check-out the Topton Club (Private).  Or possibly bring a scattergun with you (that's not a tactical Riot Gun) and shoot a round at Lehigh Sporting Clays? 

I'm not a member at Easton, and I've only shot in their "Special Purpose" pits during IDPA events & such as an invited guest.  I like their hospitality & bring my little Webber charcoal grill to cook lunch :) 

I hope you find a range that "fits".  If I can be of any help, just ask.

Rosey

AR15 / AR10 indoors?    Bahhhhhh!!
Get outdoors and get some fresh air.

I didn’t bother shooting the AR10 because all they offered me was a 15 yard range, but on the bright side with my AR15, i had some shitty 55gr ammo with me i wanted to use up and break in my new trigger. HG still sucks.

They gave me crap about my prescription shooting glasses with a light grey tint one day as I was packing up to leave, that was over a year ago. I have a couple of free passes in my wallet and still haven’t gone back. They are crazy crowded on the weekends, especially in the winter or when weather is bad.

That said I haven’t had any issues with the sales guys at any of the locations and occasionally you can get a deal. I’m in walking distance of the Rahway store and am in there every few weeks and sometimes pick up ammo or cleaning stuff but my last few guns I got elsewhere because they were much more expensive or couldn’t even get what I was looking for. 

Like anything else, I shop around and if the price is in the ballpark of what I am willing to pay I’ll buy from them. If not, I go elsewhere. 

I’d rather buy stuff from them and keep the local guys in business when it makes sense to do so. It’s tough enough being in NJ without having to drive an hour to get ballistol or something. Might even go back to their range at some point if it’s not crazy busy or maybe want to rent something to try it out but I have other places to shoot that are closer and less costly. 

Jmho

-Jim

I really have no issues with EFGA, been a member there for a few years. Other than the occasional day when the rifle range is shut down for police training and they usually give notice about it. There was an issue a few years ago where police departments would just show up and take over without it being posted and that's been addressed. The rumors of a 200 yard range are exactly that, rumors from what I've seen.

1 hour ago, JR88USMC said:

I didn’t bother shooting the AR10 because all they offered me was a 15 yard range, but on the bright side with my AR15, i had some shitty 55gr ammo with me i wanted to use up and break in my new trigger. HG still sucks.

I just loath the noise and concussion of a rifle indoors.

Break in a new trigger? Huh?

• Like 1

I went to EFGA today as well, I didn't look at the schedule but by the time I got there, about 2:30, the rifle range was clear and in use by members.  I really have to remember to look at the schedule.  I am new to shooting and a new member there, I have been there three times so far, used the rifle range and pistol range each time and it has so far been a very good experience.

As far as HG is concerned I don't have enough experience with firearms shops to really judge, but I do know that after shooting last week I stopped by the there and left with a used CZ 22 rifle.  I think I got a reasonable deal on it and am happy with the purchase and the service I received.

[email protected] is the email for the MFIC of all Heritage. His name is Matt. He's very accommodating and can and will solve and correct problems.  Unfortunately the best you'll walk away with is an apology and more free shooting time.  And although I've bought stuff there since, once I went shooting there and had a very similar experience and never shot there again. Or recommended it.  Our RSO had a real Napoleon complex.  Barking orders in people's faces like Sgt. Carter from Gomer Pyle.  I had a Marine in the lane next to me just back from the Sand Box.  Believe it or not he had his Mother with him watching him shoot.  This guy had the patience of a saint.  But his Mom didn't.  She starts screaming at the RSO about talking to her son that way. Well, that RSO may have been trained on how to handle a loaded gun but not a pissed off Hispanic Mother.  He went to the corner and didn't come back out.  It was great.

I also had two unbelievably ridiculous experiences buying guns from them.  Once a rife which required me to travel to the Easton store then to the Branchburg location and then back to Easton and a finial return trip to Branchburg.  All having to do with incorrect computer entries and lost inventory.  Another (and finial) incident was at Branchburg for a pistol purchase. Short story is this too had to do with lost parts and inventory confusion.  Two hours ( not counting 15min NICS) later the manager, Matt came in and made me whole with a discount and a card for free shooting time which lives on my Fridge.  What I feel he needs is his RSOs to have customer service training and his counter people or assistant managers empowered or delegated to make decisions. He's on here and maybe he'll hear us.  I do patron his Branchburg store for small things I need quickly because I too believe we need these stores to remain and not fall victim to the internet black hole.

EFGA is getting their chops busted as everywhere else by the Yuppie infestation in the Easton area.  I, like most of you wish they closed their membership after I joined but.....  I can agree with them catering to the LEOs.  It's always a good partnership to have.  But they should split the ranges up so dues paying patrons can also shoot when they are. 

EFGA - I always bring at least one .22 in case the other ranges are crowded or closed.
Nice place with numerous pits. Just up 309 off 78 https://guthsvillerodandgunclub.org/

Thank you! Guthsville looks like the best option. Allentown is about as far as I want to drive in a day and back

During the first two years Heritage was open I had a membership and enjoyed shooting there. Eventually, things changed for the worse and I dropped my membership. After that I shot there a few times but an ass- hole RSO who gave me a hard time  and was on a power/control trip. was the final straw. In comparison, GFH is well run and light years ahead as to how they treat and manage their customers. 

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've not had a bad shooting experience there.  I've shot during the week, weekends, holiday and at all different times and always walked away having a good time. 

Recently I've spent more time a TTC, so perhaps the RSOs have changed but when i was last there (Nov 2017) they were helpful in teaching a newb some simple tips.

As for their prices they are high, but the 3 times I purchased from them they worked the price to what i felt was a fair price which Lou's in raritan would not do. 

One of the owners reached out to me this morning on facebook after leaving them 1 star, offered me free range and rentals in the future, but I don’t plan on taking them up on that. Unless it’s unbearably cold out to be at EFGA, i’m there. Otherwise i’ll head up to RTSP or GFH if i really want to shoot and it’s too cold out. Though with the impending doom coming to NJ, shooting anywhere in state will be out of the question

2 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've not had a bad shooting experience there.  I've shot during the week, weekends, holiday and at all different times and always walked away having a good time. 

Recently I've spent more time a TTC, so perhaps the RSOs have changed but when i was last there (Nov 2017) they were helpful in teaching a newb some simple tips.

As for their prices they are high, but the 3 times I purchased from them they worked the price to what i felt was a fair price which Lou's in raritan would not do. 

Chris at Lou's have given me pretty solid prices on guns. I bought my Windham .308 from him at a really good price. I've gotten quotes from him on a few other things and was in the same ballpark at Monmouth Arms, Middlebrook and Cheyenne in Manville. In our immediate area Cheyenne is the place to go.

I also had a membership at the Easton PA location for Heritage Guild. I never bought any weapons there, just range time and a small bit of ammo (when renting one of their weapons).  But I never felt "abused" by any of the RSOs, there. I did have a membership for a year, but I did not renew, only because I knew I was moving to FL at the time.

One of the reasons I don't shoot at indoor ranges anymore....way too much BS and strange folks that are armed....and I'll chime in here on this one....the Heritage experience be it the store in Branchburg or the range in Easton, I will not repeat more than once.....awful sales help, the old Ray's know it all gang....couldn't get out of the place fast enough....OMO.

Also, liked it better when SARCO was in Sterling....but it's NJ.....

• Like 2