Avoid Heritage Guild (all locations)

I'll be the contrarian here - I've always had a good experience at Heritage Guild, both Easton and Branchburg, as long as my expectations were reasonable.  Going on a holiday weekend and expecting to shoot without waiting isn't realistic IMO.  Every gun I've bought through HG I had a choice on the price - if it was too high I went elsewhere but that has only happened once.  Most times the prices, especially for used handguns, are more than fair.  I've gotten some absolute steals there.

Maybe it's me.  I always found it worth the time to build a relationship.   I know Matt, he'll bend over backwards to make things right if given the chance.  His employees aren't perfect, none of us are, but he'll stand behind his business.

• Like 1

I started out on my firearms "journey" at Heritage in Easton about five years ago.  Bought a one year membership.  I found the RSOs to be nice, helpful and rather patient (especially as I was a newbie).  I joined Easton Game and Fish shortly afterwards because I enjoyed shooting outdoors.

I haven't shot at Heritage in about a year but I've never had a problem there.  I know some EFGA members who used to buy a "winter package" (10 or 20 range passes at slight discount I think, not sure if they still offer it) and shoot there if it was too cold to shoot outdoors.

I haven't shot at the Easton Range in some years so I cannot comment; but I buy frequently at the Rahway location and have only good things to say.  Their customer service has improved a lot in recent years-they have less turnover in staff and they know their customers.  Recently I bought a used firearm there that malfunctioned several times at the range; they took it back no questions asked with an apology.  The prices might be a little high, but on used firearms they are usually willing to be flexible.  I have been to Branchburg and never purchased because they genuinely don't seem to care, unless the boss is in the room and then they pay attention.   Honestly, can only say good things about the Rahway location at this point....

That’s because Union County is such an anti-gun county, they’re happy to get any business they can. When RTSP opens in Union they will be very successful because there are plenty of gun owners in the area but no places to shoot or buy that’s closeby

Folks have cars don't they....they're not walkin'...use to shoot at Blue Trails in Conn., ranges throughout Pa. and NY.....I dunno.

Years back in the Union area was Rosenberg's Gun Shop, Gene's Gun Room, Huff's Sport Shop, Behlert's Gun Shop, Sports Authority and so on....maybe some might remember those. They even sold .22's at Two Guy's, Sear's and R&S Stores on Rt.22.

The best place was Gene's Gun Room on Springfield Ave. Irvington, NJ...just east of Jimmy Buffs....Eugene Meyerson, a cigar smokin' man... he had some wonderful stuff in there from early flinters, to military to western and modern handguns, rifles and shotguns...and all original....bought my first original 1863 Springfield Carbine from him for 25.00 bucks, my mom paid for it...

....and Austin Behlert was on Lehigh Ave. in Union..his claim to fame was the Bobcat...cut down Browning High Powers...hideaways, LE loved 'em,,,he was a great, innovative gunsmith and a gentlemen.

they do, but if you had the opportunity to shoot <30 minutes from your house, would you take advantage of it? well, we both know there's places very close to where we live, they're just pay to play. For beginners that's fine and in my book if a place like RTSP can get more people in to guns, that's cool.

Most of your story sounds like more hassle than it's worth, so I'll stay far away from HG. :p With that said, I can understand the eye protection thing. The vast majority of sunglasses make for extremely poor eye protection. About the most they'll protect you from is ejecting brass. I'm assuming that HG doesn't want to get sued if something happens and you lose an eye or two. I'm actually amazed that more people don't spend the few bucks for actual shooting glasses from someone like Smith Optics or ESS. They really don't cost that much in the grand scheme of things and you can get both clear and tinted lenses. ;)

This was in the early to mid '70s ........dirt drive way at the old steel pole, which was his sign post on the right, right before the funeral palor on Washington Valley. That drive way lead to the house/shop with the parking area and range further down the road....it was sweet.

We use to hunt the fights of woodcock up on Mt. Bethel Rd. ......it was great huntin'.

Anyone remember Greeley's Gun Shop and Range up in Cedar Grove...used to have to crank in the target and cable by hand, dirt floor.....it was sweet....also the the Orange Pistol Range in E.Orange, NJ....that was an OK place also.

..... lest us not forget....The Hillsborough Shooting Center.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

This was in the early to mid '70s ........dirt drive way at the old steel pole, which was his sign post on the right, right before the funeral palor on Washington Valley. That drive way lead to the house/shop with the parking area and range further down the road....it was sweet.

We use to hunt the fights of woodcock up on Mt. Bethel Rd. ......it was great huntin'.

Anyone remember Greeley's Gun Shop and Range up in Cedar Grove...used to have to crank in the target and cable by hand, dirt floor.....it was sweet....also the the Orange Pistol Range in E.Orange, NJ....that was an OK place also.

..... lest us not forget....The Hillsborough Shooting Center.

Must have been a great time to be a gun owner. I was not born until 79' i missed out on all the good ol days 

We were huntin' around the corner and shootin' down the road....it was a beautiful thing but...we still had to comply with the strict anti gun mindset of Trenton...only there were more of us shooters and a lot less middle eastern immigrants.

Here's one for ya.....anyone remember shooting at the outdoor Shooting Gallery in Asbury Park that was right out on the sidewalk......22 rifles, 38 revolvers all chained down to the counter with a variety of steel moving target...use to strike me funny that the guns were chained down but one could easily turn and face them at the other side of the street or the on coming traffic.....talk about the good ol days.

.....and of course the original Ray's Sport Shop Rt22. in Scotch Plains before the fire.....with the range in the basement.

I shot at one time or another at all these ranges.....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

We were huntin' around the corner and shootin' down the road....it was a beautiful thing but...we still had to comply with the strict anti gun mindset of Trenton...only there were more of us shooters and a lot less middle eastern immigrants.

Here's one for ya.....anyone remember shooting at the outdoor Shooting Gallery in Asbury Park that was right out on the sidewalk......22 rifles, 38 revolvers all chained down to the counter with a variety of steel moving target...use to strike me funny that the guns were chained down but one could easily turn and face them at the other side of the street or the on coming traffic.....talk about the good ol days.

.....and of course the original Ray's Sport Shop Rt22. in Scotch Plains before the fire.....with the range in the basement.

I shot at one time or another at all these ranges.....

Middle Eastern Immigrants are Conservative, for the most part. I'm israeli and my extended family are all conservative. Egyptians ive spoken to here in NJ say the same.

The rest of Asia votes left heavily.

5 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

Middle Eastern Immigrants are Conservative, for the most part. I'm israeli and my extended family are all conservative. Egyptians ive spoken to here in NJ say the same.

The rest of Asia votes left heavily.

Not my neighbors.........

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 1:50 PM, xXxplosive said:

Folks have cars don't they....they're not walkin'...use to shoot at Blue Trails in Conn., ranges throughout Pa. and NY.....I dunno.

Years back in the Union area was Rosenberg's Gun Shop, Gene's Gun Room, Huff's Sport Shop, Behlert's Gun Shop, Sports Authority and so on....maybe some might remember those. They even sold .22's at Two Guy's, Sear's and R&S Stores on Rt.22.

The best place was Gene's Gun Room on Springfield Ave. Irvington, NJ...just east of Jimmy Buffs....Eugene Meyerson, a cigar smokin' man... he had some wonderful stuff in there from early flinters, to military to western and modern handguns, rifles and shotguns...and all original....bought my first original 1863 Springfield Carbine from him for 25.00 bucks, my mom paid for it...

....and Austin Behlert was on Lehigh Ave. in Union..his claim to fame was the Bobcat...cut down Browning High Powers...hideaways, LE loved 'em,,,he was a great, innovative gunsmith and a gentlemen.

Your mention of Gene’s Gun Room certainly brings back memories.  I purchased my first two firearms there in 1974. Still have them and the receipts. (Don’t recall why I chose Gene’s instead of Caso’s since I lived  in Jersey City 10 minutes from Caso. Perhaps I saw an advertisement somewhere.)

Missed shooting at Greeley’s...I was too young when we lived in Cedar Grove.

I have shot at Rays, and I took my Shotgun Hunter course live fire @ Orange Pistol Range.  Shot .22 rifles all the time at summer camp. 

Also used to shop at Rays, Edelman’s, Meltzers, Herman’s, and Efingers.

There was another big sporting goods store on 22 back in the day. The building had a weird shape like an old ship. Can’t remember the name.

10 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Hmmm.....the Flagship in Union Rt.22...don't remember that being a sporting goods store but it sure was many other things.

There was also Ross's Sport Shop in Elizabeth, NJ....Hy and Jack nice guys and prices on firearms were always good...

Maybe I’m thinking of Galyan’s. Was there one of those on RT 22 back in the day?