Sign in to follow this  
Sonnylee

Spring turkey hunt

Hey all,

anyone do any spring gobbler hunting? I’m hopefully going to give it a try this year if any leftover permits are available. April 2 is the day to go and inquire about permits. 

Just want to hear from anyone with some experience on state land.   I’m planning zone 10 area. Black river wma 

Any suggestions with be appreciated 

enjoy your Easter and or Passover.

Happy Easter. 

Over the counter permits go on sale tomorrow morning at 10am sharp. If you want one BE ONLINE at 10am. They sell fast at least down here in South Jersey they do. The popular weeks in the zone I hunt (15) has less than 50 for a few weeks. They will sell out in minutes. 

I hunt state land (Wharton)mostly. It's tough hunting. I like D week because it's 2 weeks instead of one week and you can also hunt til sunset instead of the usual noon time shut off time. 

On rainy days scout the fields for birds. When raining they don't like hanging in the woods.  All the rain pitter patter spooks em so they head for open fields. 

Also scout some swamp edges. A popular spot for them to roost. Look for turkey droppings at base of trees or below some large branches. That's a roost.  Don't do any calling to them now. Don't educate them. Watch from a distance. Trust me when I say that when you see them....they see you. Trust me.  Lol.   If you want them to shock gobble get a crow call or an owl call. 

I'm not familiar with the turkey hunting up your way. Best of luck. 

Nick

Nick 

thanks for the response, very interesting about there behavior during the rain. 

Do you go alone? 

I have a couple of areas marked out on my map I’m going to scout hopefully it won’t be rough terrain. 

Anyway thanks again and have a safe hunt!

vince

I have my 2 boys who I have to put on birds. My youngest this is his first season. Haha. No pressure. I have a few other guys that I communicate with (text) to see who's hunting where, when ,etc. Sometimes we hunt together but mostly alone. Kids schedules, work schedules etc get in the way. 

I got B and C week for myself and I'll probably grab a D week online tomorrow morning if they don't sell out too quickly. 

After this snow/rain passes check the roads and trails for their footprints, may give you an idea about where they are going or coming from. 

Good luck to you as well.

If/when I Know other guys are in the area I wear a blaze orange hat when heading back to my truck. You hunt long enough you and other turkey hunters will try and call each other in.  Lol. 

12 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

If/when I Know other guys are in the area I wear a blaze orange hat when heading back to my truck. You hunt long enough you and other turkey hunters will try and call each other in.  Lol. 

That’s the part I fear the most, when I was hunting public land for upland birds it was like a war zone! 

I’ve mostly hunted assunpink wma since the 90’s and it got worse every year. 

I’d bring my dog and work a hedge row and can see hunters on other side shooting in our direction from my dog flushing birds out.  Another guy literally was shooting on the ground as if he seen a rabbit 

i would always distance myself and dog to other locations and fields, but it seemed like they would follow me because I had the dog  

I stop hunting there in 2005 and decided to hunt on semi -wild  pheasant farms in harmony mostly  and joined several clubs as well    

at least I knew I had an entire field and 2 hedge row to myself, dog  with 2-3 other hunters and had more fun with less worries  

15 hours ago, Sonnylee said:

I’ve mostly hunted assunpink wma since the 90’s and it got worse every year. 

I’d bring my dog and work a hedge row and can see hunters on other side shooting in our direction from my dog flushing birds out.  Another guy literally was shooting on the ground as if he seen a rabbit 

i would always distance myself and dog to other locations and fields, but it seemed like they would follow me because I had the dog  

I stop hunting there in 2005 and decided to hunt on semi -wild  pheasant farms in harmony mostly  and joined several clubs as well    

at least I knew I had an entire field and 2 hedge row to myself, dog  with 2-3 other hunters and had more fun with less worries  

Years ago I was peppered by a drunk at Clinton WMA and stopped hunting upland birds all together for years. A past forum member here got me back into it about 5 years ago. I started out at Clinton again but it's a flat out war zone. I gave up on Clinton 2 years ago. 

I'd recommnd trying out Pequest, I've been going there the past 2 years and it's amazing how few people there are and how respectful everyone is each other's space. 

Talking to the CO there he said he drives past Clinton to hunt Pequest. That tells you something. 

4 minutes ago, Sonnylee said:

I totally believe it.. I’ll give it a try this year with my Lacy ( pointing black lab) she’s 8 years old and a universal hunter. 

PM me before the beginning of the season and I will hook you up with my friends that know the entire property and hunt it every Saturday. They're all safe and have their own dogs so no worries. I'll be hunting Grouse in New Hampshire LOL