JohnnyB

London murder rate beats New York! It's NOT about the guns!

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04/01/london-murder-rate-beats-new-york-for-month-as-stabbings-surge.html

London's murder rate exceeded NYC as knife attacks surge! Proof positive that it's not about the guns! Murderers will kill with whatever is available!

• Like 3

What?

"Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said websites and mobile phone applications such as YouTube, Snapchat and Instagram were partially to blame for the bloodshed, the Evening Standard reports."

I clicked on the link which brought me over to "The Evening Standard" article. I was hoping for some explanation as to why "websites & mobile phone apps ... were partially to blame for the bloodshed" but it basically says the same exact thing with no reasoning or logic as to why.

13 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

What?

"Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said websites and mobile phone applications such as YouTube, Snapchat and Instagram were partially to blame for the bloodshed, the Evening Standard reports."

I clicked on the link which brought me over to "The Evening Standard" article. I was hoping for some explanation as to why "websites & mobile phone apps ... were partially to blame for the bloodshed" but it basically says the same exact thing with no reasoning or logic as to why.

My guess would be someone or some group "disrespecting" another on some form of social media! It does not matter which side of the pond you are on. Gun, knives, hammers or whatever. It's all the same shit, no matter the choice of weapon, it's just a different time zone is all. Killers are gonna kill! Except here in Jersey much like in London, we are not allowed to defend ourselves!

I was living in Manhattan not too long ago. My understanding for bringing firearms into NYC was that I would need to apply for a license, go through an interview, possibly be denied, then register whatever I brought. I'm sure there are people who go  through this process and I remember some very limited hunting exceptions but I doubt NYC citizens are armed in any statistically relevant number that would affect these rates compared to London in particular. 

i remember reading this article on the firearms blog and it had a very different narrative. Essentially guns are largely banned in both places. So what is the reason? Largely changes in law enforcement practices.

My point being this isn't the best pro 2a "evidence." All you have to do is compare London to another restrictive gun law major city with lower murders (looks like almost anywhere) and the argument is lost.

same info but much better   coming from a non fox news site for those anti gunners who will just consider fox news all fake

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-43610936

Can wait to stick this in the face every antigunner that whines about guns and murder rates

• Like 1

I wouldn't touch anything pro 2a where the favorable comparison is extremely restrictive NYC.

Imagine the anti 2a crowd: "So this means NYC has the perfect balance of restrictions that we should apply to the rest of the country."

hell no.

1 hour ago, Sevenshot said:

I wouldn't touch anything pro 2a where the favorable comparison is extremely restrictive NYC.

Imagine the anti 2a crowd: "So this means NYC has the perfect balance of restrictions that we should apply to the rest of the country."

hell no.

The reason this is not an unreasonable comparison is because the US has a lot of guns.  The anti's use examples like Australia and the UK because their reasoning is: since the whole country bans most "dangerous" weapons, all of the cities are safer.  So it doesn't really matter if a specific location bans their ownership/use as long as they are legal in the country.

Comparing NYC to London is saying, on a federal level, it's not having a lot of guns in the US that is a problem, murder rates can still be very high if you have a population who does not respect the rule of law.

I understand your argument, and agree that we should not necessarily be toting NYC's crime numbers as a good representation of sane firearm laws.  But there are a lot of armed people in NYC, just not legally.

• Like 1