maintenanceguy

Stacked my Stack-On Gun Cabinets

A couple of years ago, I purchased one of those metal Stack-On gun cabinets and quickly filled it to overflowing.  It was hard to get to the guns that were behind the other guns and I recently reached the point where I couldn't get everything inside any more.   I needed a second gun cabinet but didn't want to tie up any more floor space. 

So, I bought a second cabinet and stacked my Stack-Ons.  They're bolted together, bolted to the floor, and bolted to the wall.  I'm going to add a horizontal bar to the top cabinet tomorrow to make sure nothing falls out and hits me in the head.  This is a 100+ year old farm house with very high ceilings or it wouldn't have been possible. The total height is 9' 2".  I had 1/4" of space between the top cabinet and the ceiling.

Having so little head room made it a challenge to hoist the top cabinet on top of the first.  If the top cabinet was tilted even a few degrees, it wouldn't fit in the available space. So, it had to be lifted straight up and held absolutely plumb at chin height and then slid on top of the other cabinet.  I probably could have done it on the first attempt 25 years ago but did manage to get it done on the third attempt.  It did require more than the usual amount of grunting but not bad for an old guy.

stack-on-stacked.jpg

• Like 3

better question, do you use the cheap foam they give you? or did you find a better solution? I have the same one up top

when I want to stop being cheap and or start having kids, I'll get a real safe

Just now, maintenanceguy said:

These cabinets have rigid plastic gun rests that bolt to the sides and back.  The only foam is a 1/2" thick piece that lays on the floor of the cabinet.

I was referring to the separators that come with it to rest the barrel on

On 4/1/2018 at 11:31 PM, sota said:

rustoleum appliance enamel paint will allow you to make them white very nicely.  I recommend the can stuff and apply with a foam roller

My wife said the same thing - well not about the spray enamel.  She said it would look better if it was painted white.  I told her to go ahead, my part of the project's done.  I got the look.  It will stay black.

• Like 1

if/when you change your mind, don't use the rattle can stuff. use the quart can stuff and a foam roller. it's self leveling, practically bomb proof once on, and more even than the spray cans.  remember, surface prep makes all the difference.  I did my big new gun safe, and the only places it chipped were on the hinges, and it wasn't the white I laid down that failed, but the factory powder coating.

On 4/1/2018 at 8:55 PM, maintenanceguy said:

A couple of years ago, I purchased one of those metal Stack-On gun cabinets and quickly filled it to overflowing.  It was hard to get to the guns that were behind the other guns and I recently reached the point where I couldn't get everything inside any more.   I needed a second gun cabinet but didn't want to tie up any more floor space. 

So, I bought a second cabinet and stacked my Stack-Ons.  They're bolted together, bolted to the floor, and bolted to the wall.  I'm going to add a horizontal bar to the top cabinet tomorrow to make sure nothing falls out and hits me in the head.  This is a 100+ year old farm house with very high ceilings or it wouldn't have been possible. The total height is 9' 2".  I had 1/4" of space between the top cabinet and the ceiling.

Having so little head room made it a challenge to hoist the top cabinet on top of the first.  If the top cabinet was tilted even a few degrees, it wouldn't fit in the available space. So, it had to be lifted straight up and held absolutely plumb at chin height and then slid on top of the other cabinet.  I probably could have done it on the first attempt 25 years ago but did manage to get it done on the third attempt.  It did require more than the usual amount of grunting but not bad for an old guy.

stack-on-stacked.jpg

Guess you took the name brand of these quite literally huh?:D

• Like 1