EHTMin14

PA resident living in NJ for work - Keeping my firearms at my NJ residence

Hi all!

I'm a PA resident - have a Pa drivers license and a PA home soon to be rental property.   I'll be purchasing a home in NJ and working on a 3-5 year Gov't contract.     I have a factory out of the box stock Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle with a 10 round magazine.

I intend to travel from my NJ residence to PA for shooting/hunting.   I also intend to go to ranges in NJ.    I'm clear on the transportation rules.  I have locking cases for rifles and ammo.

I've read the NJ rules and have a few questions.

I dont see anything limiting an out of state resident living in NJ keeping his firearms at his NJ residence.  Agreed?

In the rules of "substantially similar"   is a ruger mini 14 ranch rifle legal in NJ?   There are specific Mini 14 models listed in the prohibited list, and I dont understand if the Ranch Rifle falls under substantially similar rule and is a no go for NJ.

thanks.

You may bring your NJ legal firearms purchased in PA to your new NJ home.

The straight up Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle with 10-round magazines is legal in NJ. I have one. Only the specific models you saw in the statute are banned. Folding stocks etc.

Don't give up on PA. As you probably know NJ is going to get a lot worse this year. I'm going in the other direction.