Ray Ray

223 more accurate than 556?

21 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

The z-max is the same as a-max, buy which ever is cheaper. 

You can also try the super performance match or match 75grains. 

I have yet to figure out if the plastic tips are more accurate since they provide greater nose shape consistency over hollow points.

I DO know that the 75 grain superperformance and match Hornady rounds dont have the plastic so they will fit magazines. Whether they would benefit from the plastic tip is anyones guess.

I'm not sure if it's been stated yet, but the most accurate combination is going to a be a true .223 spec chamber, possibly a match grade barrel, using .223 match bullets.

I believe IMI is using sierra 77gr razor match grade bullets, but they may be lacking other case dimensions if they are 5.56 labeled. Almost all match grade rounds for AR's will be .223 spec.

The majority of .223 77gr sierra match king rounds are over .223 pressures. Outside of that, the only difference between 5.56 and .223 case dimensions boils down to case capacity. There's a lot of stuff, even factory new, being sold as .223 and being built with 5.56 cases. As long as the pressure is ok, it doesn't matter. 

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

By the way, I am not and will not be reloading for accuracy.  My choices fall down to Hornady, IMI and Black Hills.

I have had excellent results with Prvi Partizan (PPU) 75gr OTM out of my 18" 1:8 SPR btw, $0.50/rd, just say'n

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Freedom Munitions sells factory reloads on top of swaged NATO 5.56 brass but labels it as .223. It may seem trivial but it's not.  The inside case dimensions affect pressure.  The actual fps is typically under what's on the box and I've also read reviews that duds are not uncommon.  Also, freedom munitions requires a FID for ammo that does not require a FID.

1) Most ammo shoots under box velocity because box velocity for .223/5.56 is often stated out of a 24 inch 1:12 test fixture barrel. Sometime 26". Occasionally it is something more realistic like a 20". Kind of like a huge swath of pistol ammo velocities are out of a 6" test fixture barrel. It's not some failing, it's the industry norm, like it or not. 

2) 5.56 brass can be found being used in factory new reloads. as long as the pressure is ok, it doesn't matter. The diffrence is internal volume. If the velocities are low compared to nato ammo, odds are they aren't courting a problem. 

3) Requiring an FID and having the ammo you want beats not requiring it and not having it. How offended you get about the requirement is up to you. 

4) That being said, it can still be crap, I haven't used it.