shooter28

Its finally done...for now

Ive been working on this rifle for a while now and its finally complete and ready to go. The last piece was getting a good scope and mounting it. 

26340268587_89c8953966_b.jpg

Ruger RPR

6.5CM LRI Match Barrel

SLR Ion Lite Handgaurd

XLR Tactical Stock

Geissele Super Precision Mount

Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 F1, Mil- C reticle

Atlas Bipod

Larue Grip

Factory bolt was fluted and micro slicked

Cerakote job was done by Mike at Tier 1

I just gotta get down to a range with some distance and zero it up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

This is gotta be over 4K in total.

I dont want to think about the total but it might be. I spread it out over a decent amount of time so none of it was too hard on the wallet. I was able to sell off the original barrel, handguard and stock too so that helped offset some of the cost. The real big ticket item was the glass but in my view, it was worth it. The clarity on this thing is amazing. 

18 minutes ago, Frank Rizzo said:

Very nice.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, SJG said:

Did this start out as a RPR gen 1 or 2?

Do yourself a favor and download the app Ballistic AE on sale now

It was a gen 2. I actually already downloaded Ballistic ARC. Is there that much of a difference between the apps?

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

That thing is sweet!

Thanks!

This is gotta be over 4K in total.

What my fiancé hates about my hobby...

I did my first one with a lot less of a budget. Started with a Remington Model 7 in .308, as it is a light rifle... in a common caliber for learning. Took off the hunting scope and put on a Leupold Mk4 (4.5-14x). It might not be a shoot the balls off a fly at 600 yards rifle, but does let me learn longer range shooting. When I get the money to get another rifle (won’t be selling the Remington), I will then go 6.5mm... as by then, it should be more regularly available.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I love this kinda stuff.  Well done man, thanks for sharing.  Come back with a range report when it becomes available.

Definitely. I will try to get down to Ft Dix soon and get some results. I had wanted to join Cherry Ridge or Central Jersey this year but with my recent car accident, those funds may be gone and Ill have to wait. 

• Like 1

My RPR 6.5 is accurate as hell without most of that. I can only imagine how nice yours will put out. Very nice. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I did my first one with a lot less of a budget.

Just a suggestion that you might want to consider about your hobby and fiance. If she hates it now as a finance, she'll REALLY hate it when she becomes a wife. She's not going to like being in competition for a new bedroom set versus a new rifle. You might want to get that ironed out ahead of time. :)

Just a tip, speaking from personal experience....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Just a suggestion that you might want to consider about your hobby and fiance. If she hates it now as a finance, she'll REALLY hate it when she becomes a wife. She's not going to like being in competition for a new bedroom set versus a new rifle. You might want to get that ironed out ahead of time. :)

Then again if she gets into shooting and wants her own guns it can get pretty expensive isent that right @Zeke

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Not funny bro!

@shooter28 did you try it stock first?

I did not. This is my one and only precision type gun so I wanted to upgrade the barrel right off the bat so that way I know without a doubt that if its not shooting well, I have nothing to blame but myself. No room to blame equipment.

My factory stock didnt really adjust all that well which is why I went with the XLR. I'm also not a fan of keymod which was one of the reasons I switched the handgaurd out for MLOK. SLR makes such awesome rails I just had to throw one on this rifle as well. 

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

Haha. I hear you. I have a gf who I can already tell is a little annoyed I spend this much on shooting. I kept her in the dark with how much some of these parts cost tho. I figure, buy my toys now while she cant see how much Im paying and before she has a say, then pop that question. 

Understood, but I do technically have a cheaper hobby than her’s (horses).

Besides, she keeps me in check. If I didn’t have her, I might have ordered a .45 Luger... and got slightly behind with bills/mortgage. [emoji6]

3 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

I did not. This is my one and only precision type gun so I wanted to upgrade the barrel right off the bat so that way I know without a doubt that if its not shooting well, I have nothing to blame but myself. No room to blame equipment.

My factory stock didnt really adjust all that well which is why I went with the XLR. I'm also not a fan of keymod which was one of the reasons I switched the handgaurd out for MLOK. SLR makes such awesome rails I just had to throw one on this rifle as well. 

Cool. Enjoy. Range report ASAP!

6 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@GramGun79 you see this? That’s a high bar bro!

You know me well...Mike at T1D built me a nice 308 a couple years back. I think i've posted pics in the precision rifle section. 

one of these days i get around to building a 6.5 

Nice stick.

Specs on the barrel (length/twist)?  Chambered by LRI?  

I'm a member at CR.  If you ever have Mondays free drop me a line and I'll guest you in.  More than happy to.  

15 hours ago, shooter28 said:

I did not. This is my one and only precision type gun so far so I wanted to upgrade the barrel right off the bat so that way I know without a doubt that if its not shooting well, I have nothing to blame but myself. No room to blame equipment.

I fixed your post...:D

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bully said:

Nice stick.

Specs on the barrel (length/twist)?  Chambered by LRI?  

I'm a member at CR.  If you ever have Mondays free drop me a line and I'll guest you in.  More than happy to.  

I fixed your post...:D

I bought the barrel from LRI. They use K&P SS rifled cut barrels and I had them chamber it for the 140&143 ELD/X round. 1:8 twist. 24"

Oh cool. That would be awesome. Ill def let you know. I usually dont have Mondays off but maybe Ill take off when the weather gets nice. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

I bought the barrel from LRI. They use K&P SS rifled cut barrels and I had them chamber it for the 140&143 ELD/X round. 1:8 twist. 24"

Oh cool. That would be awesome. Ill def let you know. I usually dont have Mondays off but maybe Ill take off when the weather gets nice. 

I'll assume you don't reload?  

You may want to.  You "may" realize slightly better accuracy over distance.  

As to CR, just drop me a note a few days ahead of time to be sure I'm going.  Most likely I am but better safe than sorry.  

Good luck with it and stay safe.  

1 hour ago, Bully said:

I'll assume you don't reload?  

You may want to.  You "may" realize slightly better accuracy over distance.  

As to CR, just drop me a note a few days ahead of time to be sure I'm going.  Most likely I am but better safe than sorry.  

Good luck with it and stay safe.  

I dont reload. I share an apt with the GF and we just dont have the room for me to set something up like that. 

Neat idea. We are just out of closet space to put it and all the other reloading supplies when I'm not using it. Down the road when I get into a bigger place, I will carve out a whole room for this kind of stuff. It will be glorious

• Like 1

Just a thought, if you decide to shoot past 500-800 yds, you might need more scope than a 16x max magnification?  6.5c should get you to 1200-1400 yds.

Great looking build.  Im sure its a tack driver...

56 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Just a thought, if you decide to shoot past 500-800 yds, you might need more scope than a 16x max magnification?  6.5c should get you to 1200-1400 yds.

Great looking build.  Im sure its a tack driver...

Thats what I intially thought. Ive talked to Mike at Tier1 and a couple other instructors and they said they have no problem smacking steel at 1000 yards with this magnification level. 

Thanks for the compliment. 

16 is fine for steel out to over 1k.  I've shot 700 and never take my scope off 10x.  Higher mag is for paper/group shooting.  

....and for old eyes. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1