GramGun79

SCAR 17 Prices??

27 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I have a legit Galil at work I play with from time to time

HE, how do you like the Galil? What Caliber/Variant?
Took my Uncle and little cousin to the range Saturday; He was a Golani in the IDF way back when and carried a Compact variant of the Galil.

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

I have a feeling @GramGun79‘s ain’t stock.. I’m feeling strong, to very strong about that.

only upgraded the trigger, stock and added the extended rail...i cant leave things stock i need projects to keep me busy lolIMG_0987.thumb.JPG.a98ab5cc2b906c6480465aa1c93abe4c.JPG

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

But illegal in NJ, is it not? (Banned by name IIRC)?

Correct. This is not my rifle. It was in our armory at work since before I got hired and I have no idea where we got it.

I don’t know the variant - 16” barrel with carry handle. It is chambered in 5.56x45 and had a wooden hand guard with a built in bipod and a folding stock.

We also had a legit 1928 Thompson, a Cobray, an Uzi, and 2 Reising Subguns in .30 Carbine but we traded them in for shotguns about 14 years ago.

I use the Galil now to teach my guys how to operate AK FoW in the event they come across one they need to render safe.

Now, back to the SCAR.

10 minutes ago, GramGun79 said:

only upgraded the trigger, stock and added the extended rail...i cant leave things stock i need projects to keep me busy lolIMG_0987.thumb.JPG.a98ab5cc2b906c6480465aa1c93abe4c.JPG

Gram, that’s nice. I like the longer handguard - should be mandatory on the SCAR platform. All that barrel sticking out with nowhere to put your hand was a dumb idea. That what happens when engineers build your rifles instead of gun fighters.

Now.... tell me about that lever gun... I am lusting after leverguns at the moment.

Is that the Marlin GBL or SBL?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

Gram, that’s nice. I like the longer handguard - should be mandatory on the SCAR platform. All that barrel sticking out with nowhere to put your hand was a dumb idea. That what happens when engineers build your rifles instead of gun fighters.

Now.... tell me about that lever gun... I am lusting after leverguns at the moment.

Is that the Marlin GBL or SBL 

totally agree that rail makes it much more practical. The lever gun is a Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70. Bought it because my kids were watching Jurrasic World and Chris Pratt used it to slay some dinos...Kids thought it was a pretty cool gun. Its fun to shoot. I like it

• Like 1

Dude, this is funny and all (I am really getting a kick out of it) but Shane is legit. He probably has forgotten more about looooong distance shooting than you or I have ever learned. He’s not some internet troll and he’s not basing his knowledge base on “what he hears on the Internet”.

Maybe you are too, but I don’t know you. I know Shane.

On another note  - JR, I am curious to read some of your articles and check out some of the publications you write for.

To be honest, the article you solicited info for on this forum earlier (about top tier rifles) has me scratching my head and I would love to see what other stuff you have done to get some perspective.

you'll see that article in due time, don't worry [emoji6] I just got the RMA's from 3 companies to test out a high end rifle, a middle of the road rifle and a budget rifle and I'm going to put all 3 through the same tests using the same RDS and the same scope, same ammo and everything.

I am thankful for everyone’s input, I asked for this data on a few different forums to come up with the content for that article, so it will be one of a few articles out there that are based on public feedback.

1 hour ago, JR88USMC said:

you'll see that article in due time, don't worry emoji6.png I just got the RMA's from 3 companies to test out a high end rifle, a middle of the road rifle and a budget rifle and I'm going to put all 3 through the same tests using the same RDS and the same scope, same ammo and everything.

I am thankful for everyone’s input, I asked for this data on a few different forums to come up with the content for that article, so it will be one of a few articles out there that are based on public feedback.

What about past articles got any of those we can read in the meantime?

• Like 2

What about past articles got any of those we can read in the meantime?

with my name on it? Not at the moment. I've contributed data to some of the stuff in the past year but I am working on a few different pieces of content that will be published soon. We do spitball a lot of ideas around and sometimes what looks good on paper doesn't end up being workable when we do put in an effort to publish something. The outlet I've been contributing to we try to not be just another gun review site where we get a gun, write about how it's the greatest gun in the world and you need to go buy it. We aim to perspective driven and unbiased in the articles so if we find a fault in something we'll point it out, though if something is awful, we probably wouldn't publish it, rather give that company honest feedback because we're not in the business of slandering someone. Instead of just reviewing guns, we try to tell a story with a given gun in a different perspective (e.g. using a REPR for 1000+ yards vs. a similar bolt action .308, using a SCAR for Coyote Hunting) and telling it from a perspective that it wouldn't normally be seen in. I can share with you content the creator of this platform has written but once some of my content has been published, I will share it.

Now for the mud slinging going on over my opinion on the SCAR, yes I have always had fun shooting a SCAR, but it doesn't add value to my personal collection as a shooter and I'm not saying it wouldn't for someone else. I just would not spend the money on one. Do I like the REPR over the SCAR? Yes, I am self admittedly an LWRC Fan boy, when I first got in to guns years ago I saw a REPR on the shelf, fell in love with everything except the price because I couldn't afford it. I bought an M6-IC earlier this year as my compromise because I also was a huge fan of that rifle, I shoot a lot of 5.56 to justify spending that kind of money on an AR15. That being said, yes I love the REPR, because for myself if I'm shooting .308, it's to shoot long distance and the REPR does and outstanding job at going long for a semi-auto carbine. I don't think it's the best .308 semi either, but it's one of my favorites. Same goes with the M6-IC, I don't think it's the BEST AR-15 out there, but it's one of my favorites.

What's my beef with the SCAR? I don't like it's ergonomics, I think it's bulky, I don't like that it needs proprietary mags, I don't like frankenbuilding one with a different lower as someone else mentioned. I'm a fan of rifles as built from the factory, admiring American craftsmanship quality, engineering, how much abuse that rifle can take (and from my experience shooting a few scars, they can take a beating, as can the REPR.). I do like it's ambi-controls and how functions flawlessly but I don't like the feel, I hate that stock that looks like an Ugg Boot. I commend them for making a different rifle in a market that is flooded with standard looking carbines.

I also don't like FN very much, since they have the DoD Contract for the M4 and M16A4, from my time in the Marine Corps the issued rifles I had to shoot had many issues with double feeds, jams, audible pops, triggers breaking, BCG's breaking, so forgive me for being hesitant for praising FN when my life depended on a rifle that wasn't as low maintenance as perceived. When we're talking that echelon of rifles (I don't consider LWRC in this echelon FYI) I rather have something from HK. The M27IAR saved my life when I was deployed. I also think it's a travesty FN sells M16A4 Replica's for $6k when it's an overpriced AR-15 and you can get a much better quality AR for a fraction of that price. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, it's just my opinion that I'm not crazy about the SCAR. You're entitled to have your opinion and so am I. Let's stop the mud slinging, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, in fact the data and feedback I get from people on this forum and others will help us create more content that people want to see. Let's meet up at EFGA or another outdoor range soon and throw lead down range [emoji4] 

7 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

with my name on it? Not at the moment. I've contributed data to some of the stuff in the past year but I am working on a few different pieces of content that will be published soon. We do spitball a lot of ideas around and sometimes what looks good on paper doesn't end up being workable when we do put in an effort to publish something. The outlet I've been contributing to we try to not be just another gun review site where we get a gun, write about how it's the greatest gun in the world and you need to go buy it. We aim to perspective driven and unbiased in the articles so if we find a fault in something we'll point it out, though if something is awful, we probably wouldn't publish it, rather give that company honest feedback because we're not in the business of slandering someone. Instead of just reviewing guns, we try to tell a story with a given gun in a different perspective (e.g. using a REPR for 1000+ yards vs. a similar bolt action .308, using a SCAR for Coyote Hunting) and telling it from a perspective that it wouldn't normally be seen in. I can share with you content the creator of this platform has written but once some of my content has been published, I will share it.

Now for the mud slinging going on over my opinion on the SCAR, yes I have always had fun shooting a SCAR, but it doesn't add value to my personal collection as a shooter and I'm not saying it wouldn't for someone else. I just would not spend the money on one. Do I like the REPR over the SCAR? Yes, I am self admittedly an LWRC Fan boy, when I first got in to guns years ago I saw a REPR on the shelf, fell in love with everything except the price because I couldn't afford it. I bought an M6-IC earlier this year as my compromise because I also was a huge fan of that rifle, I shoot a lot of 5.56 to justify spending that kind of money on an AR15. That being said, yes I love the REPR, because for myself if I'm shooting .308, it's to shoot long distance and the REPR does and outstanding job at going long for a semi-auto carbine. I don't think it's the best .308 semi either, but it's one of my favorites. Same goes with the M6-IC, I don't think it's the BEST AR-15 out there, but it's one of my favorites.

What's my beef with the SCAR? I don't like it's ergonomics, I think it's bulky, I don't like that it needs proprietary mags, I don't like frankenbuilding one with a different lower as someone else mentioned. I'm a fan of rifles as built from the factory, admiring American craftsmanship quality, engineering, how much abuse that rifle can take (and from my experience shooting a few scars, they can take a beating, as can the REPR.). I do like it's ambi-controls and how functions flawlessly but I don't like the feel, I hate that stock that looks like an Ugg Boot. I commend them for making a different rifle in a market that is flooded with standard looking carbines.

I also don't like FN very much, since they have the DoD Contract for the M4 and M16A4, from my time in the Marine Corps the issued rifles I had to shoot had many issues with double feeds, jams, audible pops, triggers breaking, BCG's breaking, so forgive me for being hesitant for praising FN when my life depended on a rifle that wasn't as low maintenance as perceived. When we're talking that echelon of rifles (I don't consider LWRC in this echelon FYI) I rather have something from HK. The M27IAR saved my life when I was deployed. I also think it's a travesty FN sells M16A4 Replica's for $6k when it's an overpriced AR-15 and you can get a much better quality AR for a fraction of that price. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, it's just my opinion that I'm not crazy about the SCAR. You're entitled to have your opinion and so am I. Let's stop the mud slinging, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, in fact the data and feedback I get from people on this forum and others will help us create more content that people want to see. Let's meet up at EFGA or another outdoor range soon and throw lead down range emoji4.png 

What's your website I'd like to check it out?

• Like 2

JR, some constructive criticism inbound. I hope you can take it in the context which it is intended.

You need to take significantly more objective approach to open discussion of the topics at hand. Take biez, emotion and personal preference out of it. Additionally, you CAN NOT take debate personally. If you cant do this, you will be in for a very rough go presenting content to the public. My issue was not with your selection. It was with the logic and reasoning you presented. Frankly I continue to struggle with your rationalizations. We may never see eye to eye. And this may be due to the possibility we place our priorities in entirely different places. Ill take a rifle with the ergonomics of a brick if it always works over one that feels comfy but is of questionable reliability. But thats my priorities and yours may be entirely different. Just understand there are a number of people  here on NJGF that have a significant depth and breadth of knowledge and it would be a paramount mistake to assume everyone is a keyboard commando that presents a different perspective than yours. 

• Like 1

JR, some constructive criticism inbound. I hope you can take it in the context which it is intended.
You need to take significantly more objective approach to open discussion of the topics at hand. Take biez, emotion and personal preference out of it. Additionally, you CAN NOT take debate personally. If you cant do this, you will be in for a very rough go presenting content to the public. My issue was not with your selection. It was with the logic and reasoning you presented. Frankly I continue to struggle with your rationalizations. We may never see eye to eye. And this may be due to the possibility we place our priorities in entirely different places. Ill take a rifle with the ergonomics of a brick if it always works over one that feels comfy but is of questionable reliability. But thats my priorities and yours may be entirely different. Just understand there are a number of people  here on NJGF that have a significant depth and breadth of knowledge and it would be a paramount mistake to assume everyone is a keyboard commando that presents a different perspective than yours. 

This conversation has fallen on deaf ears and you won’t ever see my point, so good luck to you and if you want to go shootin let me know [emoji846]

On 4/10/2018 at 0:17 AM, GramGun79 said:

totally agree that rail makes it much more practical. The lever gun is a Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70. Bought it because my kids were watching Jurrasic World and Chris Pratt used it to slay some dinos...Kids thought it was a pretty cool gun. Its fun to shoot. I like it

That’s cause it can kill dinosaurs if you’re Chris Pratt.  I do love that bull barrel canon though. 

• Like 2