EHTMin14

FID card needed to rent rifles or shoot my own rifles at NJ ranges? I'm a PA/NJ Dual resident

I called a local shooting range here in south jersey to get a family membership for the parents and two kids under 12.  I explained that I had a PA license, but have a home and address in NJ as well. I have dual residency - house in PA and house in NJ.   My wife has a NJ license.  The range said that I cannot rent a rifle because I dont have a NJ FID card or a PA license to carry.  My wife cannot rent a rifle there either as she doesnt have a FID card.  The person on the phone also said that it was illegal for me to bring my own ruger 10/22  to my home in the state and transport it to the range because I dont have a NJ FID, and that I cant use my own rifle at the range since I dont have a FID.

Is all that true? may it just be the range policy?  I'm going to call a different range tomorrow and see what they say.

It's legal to transport from your home to the range and back without an FID card.  I believe it's legal to transport between residences WHILE MOVING according to the law.  But, what business is it of the range whether you're transporting legally?  I guess their house, their rules.

14 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

It's legal to transport from your home to the range and back without an FID card.  I believe it's legal to transport between residences WHILE MOVING according to the law.  But, what business is it of the range whether you're transporting legally?  I guess their house, their rules.

This needs a minor correction............

A Ruger 10-.22 isn't a hand gun, therefore the hand gun portion of the 2C statutes don't apply.  So a dual resident doesn't need to be moving in order to transport to his/her residence.  Just make sure that the .22LR ammo isn't hollow points and you're GTG!

Someone who has a residence in the PRNJ has more rights than a non-resident and non-residents bring firearms (in this example HAND GUNS) into NJ for organized matches every weekend, including IDPA & USPSA action matches as well as Bullseye competitions.  Leaving the PA residence(s) totally out of the context, a NJ resident can transport his/her cache of firearms directly to and from any exempt location OR between exempt locations, all day long, even at ZERO DARK THIRTY and do so WITHOUT a NJFPID card.  So I can drive my firearm(s) to a range, then leave that range and drive to another range, then to a gun store, then to another range or gun store and then back to my home.  The "Yellow Card" (as us old fogies call it) allows us more flexibility in our deviations, but it's NOT REQUIRED in order to transport OR own firearms.  After-all, if non-residents can drive their hand guns directly to & from a match or other sanctioned gathering, then residents can do the same.

Some ranges require NJFPID cards to rent firearms and others do not.  Some ranges obey the letter of the law and some ranges are overly "Fuddy" and make-up rules as they go. :) 

Find a different range or get a non resident FPID. I’d personally jus find a different range. It’s their policy for whom they allow to use the facility. 

It is legal for you posses your firearms on your property. It is legal for you to transport them to the range, training, place of repair etc.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Rosey. Why cant the 22lr be hollowpoint if following the 2c 58 guidelines for transportation? 

Because hollow point ammo has the same strict transportation rules as a handgun. With a rifle and regular ammo you can keep it in your trunk 24/7 if you wish.

On 4/5/2018 at 0:53 PM, Zeke said:

Find a different range or get a non resident FPID. I’d personally jus find a different range. It’s their policy for whom they allow to use the facility. 

What was the range? If you don't mind.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

Because hollow point ammo has the same strict transportation rules as a handgun. With a rifle and regular ammo you can keep it in your trunk 24/7 if you wish.

Sure.  But still. You can have hollowpoints if you’re a nonresident doing the exempt things.  

20 minutes ago, EHTMin14 said:

shooters sporting center in little egg harbor

Interesting, I took my FIL and MIL there , um, maybe 3 months ago. MIL no fpid and no problem with range time. We did not rent any firearms though.

6 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Interesting, I took my FIL and MIL there , um, maybe 3 months ago. MIL no fpid and no problem with range time. We did not rent any firearms though.

Same with me, I've taken family members who don't have an FID, no problem.

I think the issue is the rental... we bring our own equipment.

I know Shooters sometimes asks to see your FID card when you want to shop for new hardware.

26 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Same with me, I've taken family members who don't have an FID, no problem.

I think the issue is the rental... we bring our own equipment.

I know Shooters sometimes asks to see your FID card when you want to shop for new hardware.

Whole thing is bout suicide on premises. I get both sides of the argument 

1 hour ago, BobA said:

So, statistically, the suicide rate at ranges of people with FID cards is 0. While the suicide rate without is 100%.  Does Murphy know this? FID cards can prevent suicides!

There's some truth to that, after all, there's the mental health background check as part of the FID approval.

15 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I had no idea this was true.  I was under the assumption that all guns followed the "exempt location" rules.

Didn't realize it was OK to travel around with an AR (unloaded of course) and ammo box in the trunk wherever I go.

56 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I had no idea this was true.  I was under the assumption that all guns followed the "exempt location" rules.

Didn't realize it was OK to travel around with an AR (unloaded of course) and ammo box in the trunk wherever I go.

That's news to me too. Does anyone here actually do that?

46 minutes ago, BobA said:

I wouldn’t. 

Neither would I.

I presume Johnny has some documentation to support the statement, but I'd never chance it.  I go by the standard like repeated by the State Police:

• Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
  • The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-6g.

19 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Sure.  But still. You can have hollowpoints if you’re a nonresident doing the exempt things.  

Sorry, just seeing this now.  Been a little busy lately with breaking news stories :) 

Yes, even a non-resident can use their hollow points here for a match, but....they're obligated to technically drive back to whence they came because the "directly to & from" part of the exemption still applies.  Keep in mind Aitken had hollow points during an "extended move", and no exemption existed for him while he was in-between exempt locations (and still doesn't btw)!  Hollow points are like tiny, little hand guns just sitting there waiting for you to stumble.  And get this, the law doesn't say they have to FIRE (so DUDS & light primer strikes are still EVIL!), the law doesn't say they have to be center fire pistol rounds, the law doesn't exempt RIFLE ammo (so cheapie 7.62 x 39 are just as EVIL as 9mm Gang-Banger ammo), the law doesn't even say they have to be COMPLETE CARTRIDGES able to fire....  In fact, if you go by the letter of the law instead of the INTENT of the law, you can risk getting locked-up after picking-up heads (reloading components) and stopping for milk, eggs & bread on the way home!

6 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

You've never attended a Nappen lecture where he shows you his unloaded Sub-2000 carbine in his suitcase on stage at a NJSAFECON have you?

• Like 1