Lambo2936

Optic for Tavor X95

Currently have an EoTech HHS1 set on my Tavor but am not really liking it. It's great for closer in but for steel at 200 its not as great as i'd like it to be. I Think its my eyes (astigmatism) but the reticle looks funny and the magnifier makes the reticle annoyingly large. Very possibly selling it, but does anyone know what a good replacement might be for it? I Have an extra ACOG on hand i can put on it but don't know if that'll be ok on a TAVOR? As far as Budget, i'd like to keep it under 5-600$ or so, a bit less than i'll be getting for the Eo set if i sell it (Rest will go towards future rifle purchase).

I’ve been digging my Steiner P4Xi.

With a little Google-Fu you can find it for ~$480.

Glass is crystal clear, and in my opinion, it is a duty quality LPVO.

So far, it’s the best value I’ve found for this type of optic, you get a lot for your money.

Pair it with an Aero SPR Mount (under $80) and you have a quality and robust set up in a lightweight and affordable package.

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

So far, it’s the best value I’ve found for this type of optic, you get a lot for your money.

Pair it with an Aero SPR Mount (under $80) and you have a quality and robust set up in a lightweight and affordable package.

For the record... HE learned that from me. Taught him everything he knows! :rofl:

11 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Any experience with meprolights like the m21?

• Like 1

Womp. They looked pretty promising, i like the fiber optic function. Not a fan of relying on batteries. Went to shoot my tavor at the range the other day and it was dead. Barely use the sight. No more than maybe 6 months old.. thats why i like my Acogs.

That steiner looks like an illuminated M223. My buddy has my 1-4x m223, i thought about using that since i already have it. Think itd perform well?

Anything that uses ambient light (like through a FO) to “power” your optic is gonna suck on a fighting gun. In low light conditions the reticle will wash out. Avoid them at all costs.

You have found one of the many reasons why EOTech sucks. They draw power from the battery even when turned off. You have to remove the batteries when storing the sight.

Get an Aimpoint if you want a RDS. The PRO has a 3 year battery life if you leave it at setting 8 and never turn it off. The Micro T1 has a 5 year battery life.

If you want magnification, the Steiner I mentioned above is hard to beat for the price. It has a cross hair that doesn’t rely on battery, plus a nice simple red dot that is bright enough to use in daylight - something that a lot of the cheaper LPVO offerings lack.

IMO a fixed power mag optic (like the ACOG) is pretty useless on a carbine for most applications, especially around here. 200 yards and in you will likely be faster and just as accurate with a RDS and no magnification. Magnification doesn’t help you shoot better, only see better.

6 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Any experience with meprolights like the m21?

I have shot this on my dads Tavor.  To me, there isn't a big difference between the M21 and an EOtech.

Get an Aimpoint if you want a RDS. The PRO has a 3 year battery life if you leave it at setting 8 and never turn it off. The Micro T1 has a 5 year battery life...

...IMO a fixed power mag optic (like the ACOG) is pretty useless on a carbine for most applications, especially around here. 200 yards and in you will likely be faster and just as accurate with a RDS and no magnification. Magnification doesn’t help you shoot better, only see better.

Agreed... which is why I have a PRO on my Tavor. Also have a PRO and a Comp M4s on two of my ARs (third has a 1.5-6x scope; fourth isn’t built past the parts kit). I do have a magnifier that I can piggyback to any of them, but it really isn’t something I use unless I know I’m shooting further out (one AR is a .45, so wouldn’t toss it on that).

The only reason I really use the magnifier is for zeroing. If I zero without, then reconfirm with it, there is a “shift.” It isn’t that the magnifier is effecting the red dot, but the picture is clearer, as is the dot. It isn’t going to be a huge jump, but I prefer it being as close as possible.

When the magnifier is behind your reticle it will magnify both - the target and the dot - equally. There is no way around this.

That being said, they stay proportionally the same. If you have a 2moa dot, it covers a 2” circle at 100 yards. When you look through the magnifier, it still only covers 2” of the target. 

Ditch the magnifier. Just run the dot.

If you want magnification, get a LPVO.

The dot in the Aimpoint may not be as crisp as the circle dot on the EO. The EO uses a laser, the Aimpoint uses an LED. Some people with eye issues, eg: an astigmatism, may see a smear, or a comet shape instead of a dot. It’s really no big deal, pick a spot in the smear and zero there.

3 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

When the magnifier is behind your reticle it will magnify both - the target and the dot - equally. There is no way around this.

Yeah, i knew that much.
The issue was with the reticle on my Eo is that the outer 'ring' or whatever covers up a lot and it becomes a PITA.
With something like just a Dot (Such as on the aimpoint), you can see everything other than just your Dot.
I Have to get My 1-4x M223 from my buddy. I think i'm going to try that out as well as my Vortex spitfire and see which i like better. Then i can look into getting something higher end but similar.
I Shoot Steel @ 200 with my AR & Acog, and love it. Was hoping to do the same with the tavor so the 1-4x may be more favorable so i don't hit the wrong crap like i might with just a red dot, though on the other hand maybe i'll set it up for Home Defense with just a Red Dot.. that's not a bad idea.. Don't really shoot paper all too much other than with my Hand guns.

Steel is nice, but paper doesn’t lie.

If you want to improve at distance, you need to shoot on paper as much as steel.

If your rifle will be used in N.J. for HD/SD you will be much better served with a RDS than with any magnification. 

Regarding magnification - I took a class a couple weekend ago down in St Augustine Florida. We had to go from standing to prone and get a hit on a 1/2 size IPSC steel target in under 3 seconds. I was significantly and repeatedly faster with the RDS vs the LPVO set to 4x. I was also faster with the LPVO set to 1x than 4X.

When you can see more gooder your brain just won’t accept “good enough” over “perfect” and it slows you down.

• Like 1

Getting a shot on target is easy. Getting to prone will take me, ohhhh, lets saaaaayyy, ohhhh, about 3 minutes to get my knees bent. 5 to get back up. Lmao! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah but who cares how long it takes to get up. Its like holstering fast, its just for show [emoji3]

Well if thats the case, might as well take a power nap while down there.
[emoji23][emoji42][emoji99]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Lmao. Thinking a normal RDS will be the way to go. Can always add a magnifier, but i think the reticle DESIGN on the EO is what im having an issue with (other than the crappy battery life span). Looks a lot cooler than it functions IMO.