Mreed731

First AR puchase advice, Sig M400 or Stag

It would be best to read the description on the mfg's website of the muzzle device for yourself to determine it's legality or ask one of the FFL's on this site. If the description states flash mitigation/suppression/reduction, it is most likely not legal in the eyes of NJ. Also, avoid calling the NJSP if possible about what is legal as a muzzle device as you may get misleading information. Absolutely do not take someone's advice on a public discussion forum where you may run into legal issues. Do you want to be known as the guy in the pinky test case?
If you do go the route of wanting to put a muzzle brake/compensator on your rifle. I would recommend [mention=3597]remixer[/mention] at Monmouth Arms to do the compliance work, he offers very reasonable pricing. My recommendation is if you plan to move out of NJ in the near future, use a muzzle nut/thread protector. However, it will still require pinning though. Some muzzle brakes will have very negative effect on shooters next to you when shooting indoors. This is due to the ports on the device diverting it's gases to the sides.
Like others have recommended, build the rifle you want from the ground up. Get the lower receiver last if you plan on doing some of the compliance work yourself, like pinning/changing to a fixed stock and shaving off the bayonet lug. By doing these 2 simple things you can save 50.00 - 100.00.
I highly recommend you go out to the range with friends that have AR's and shoot them. This would help you with what you may want in your build. I'm sure some forum members here are willing to let you test drive their AR's at the range. I have only purchased two AR's as complete rifles in the mid 90's. If YouTube had been around that time I'm sure I would have gone the DIY route.
Regards,
TokenEntry
Sounds like good advice.. thank you. I was going to start by looking for a lower, but I guess there's no reason to. These muzzle brakes all look basically the same to me. Is it just the terminology of them that makes one legal and one not?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Where are you located?
Everything but the lower can be delivered directly to your home. Just the lower needs to be purchased from an FFL.
I still recommend the complete Troy upper for $450 at Primary Arms I linked to above. I’ve been doing this for a minute or two and that is by far the best value for the dollar out there. If you assembled that upper yourself, you would be in for well over $1000. 
South, West Deptford. I forgot you posted that Troy link. Probably be hard to beat that deal. Dosent mention weight. Do you think they're all about the same unless lightweight is specified?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mreed731 said:

South, West Deptford. I forgot you posted that Troy link. Probably be hard to beat that deal. Dosent mention weight. Do you think they're all about the same unless lightweight is specified?

Panther? Listen to @High Exposure

6 minutes ago, Mreed731 said:

They weigh what they weigh - and you will pay more for “desirable” traits.

That being said - there is no free lunch.

Heavier rifles are easier to shoot, lighter rifles are more comfortable to carry.

I have found the best option to be somewhere in the middle.

You won’t know what you prefer until you start shooting.

At that price though, the Troy is a good place to start. 

I don’t know any FFLs down that way. I’m sure someone local will chime in with advice.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mreed731 said:

Sounds like good advice.. thank you. I was going to start by looking for a lower, but I guess there's no reason to. These muzzle brakes all look basically the same to me. Is it just the terminology of them that makes one legal and one not?

Unfortunately, even if the mfg's website description doesn't state flash suppression/mitigation/reduction it would be at the discretion of the NJSP to consider it legal or illegal.

Regards,

TokenEntry

10 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Heavier rifles are easier to shoot, lighter rifles are more comfortable to carry.

I don’t know any FFLs down that way. I’m sure someone local will chime in with advice.

@JohnnyB 

Unfortunately, even if the mfg's website description doesn't state flash suppression/mitigation/reduction it would be at the discretion of the NJSP to consider it legal or illegal.
Regards,
TokenEntry
On the Troy upper the descrip says "flash supressor" so this would have to be replaced with a "muzzle brake"?

Oh yea, I just realized you already told to swap out muzzle device on the Troy upper

1 minute ago, Mreed731 said:

On the Troy upper the descrip says "flash supressor" so this would have to be replaced with a "muzzle brake"?

Yes, you can easily just unscrew the FH and replace with a pinned muzzle brake/compensator. The barrel length is already 16" so any legal muzzle brake/compensator is GTG. On a side note, if you order a complete upper with a barrel of 14.5 that already has  a FH. You will need to have it cut off as it is most likely pinned in place to make up the legal rifle length of 16". Replacement muzzle brake/compensator must be 1.5" in length. SBR's are not allowed in NJ.

Regards,

TokenEntry

Freedom Ammo in Mantua sells lowers and lots more! 10% off if you recite the Pledge of Allegiance before you pay!

The owner, Glenn is a great guy and is the former CLEO for Woodbury Heights PD. VERY PRO 2A STORE! Good luck!:)

• Like 2

I like Glen over at Freedom, but like (almost) everyone else around here...he's a rip off. Do yourself a favor buy a couple lowers online and have them shipped to Deuce's Den in Sewell. He charges a flat $35 for transfers. Most I've done is 3 at at time, so he may charge more if you're transfer 4+. If you wait for a sale at Brownell's (one just ended) you can transfer 2 Aero lowers through Deuces for what you would pay buying 1 direct from Freedom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mreed731 said:

Bob's little sport shop is probably the closest to you. I haven't been there in a while. I hear they do compliant work. I'm sure he has more than a few compliant ARs on his shelf. 

1 minute ago, DaddyNick said:

Bob's little sport shop is probably the closest to you. I haven't been there in a while. I hear they do compliant work. I'm sure he has more than a few compliant ARs on his shelf. 

I used to shop there. Got my first AR from him. When I realized how anti 2A and anti CCW he is, I vowed to NEVER give him another red cent of my money!

2 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Compliant ARs suck, build your own 

You can say that again Ray!:mutley:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I used to shop there. Got my first AR from him. When I realized how anti 2A and anti CCW he is, I vowed to NEVER give him another red cent of my money!

Set em straight brother!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Set em straight brother!

Dude, I was soooo pissed when I saw him take the podium in Trenton!  Good friends with Sweeney and states publicly that CCW is wrong for NJ! Way too many people per square mile! He said NJ streets would look like the "Wild West" if we had CCW...F*&K HIM! Great...Now I am worked up again!:mad:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Lol. I was trying to keep the negatives out of the man's topic. Lol. 

Just now, JohnnyB said:

Dude, I was soooo pissed when I saw him take the podium in Trenton!  Good friends with Sweeney and states publicly that CCW is wrong for NJ! Way too many people per square mile! He said NJ streets would look like the "Wild West" if we had CCW...F*&K HIM! Great...Now I am worked up again!:mad:

Sorry guys...this took a turn for the worse....lol. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TokenEntry said:

Yes, you can easily just unscrew the FH and replace with a pinned muzzle brake/compensator. The barrel length is already 16" so any legal muzzle brake/compensator is GTG. On a side note, if you order a complete upper with a barrel of 14.5 that already has  a FH. You will need to have it cut off as it is most likely pinned in place to make up the legal rifle length of 16". Replacement muzzle brake/compensator must be 1.5" in length. SBR's are not allowed in NJ.

Regards,

TokenEntry

I guess cutting it off is no big deal?

12 hours ago, Hairless_Ape said:

I like Glen over at Freedom, but like (almost) everyone else around here...he's a rip off. Do yourself a favor buy a couple lowers online and have them shipped to Deuce's Den in Sewell. He charges a flat $35 for transfers. Most I've done is 3 at at time, so he may charge more if you're transfer 4+. If you wait for a sale at Brownell's (one just ended) you can transfer 2 Aero lowers through Deuces for what you would pay buying 1 direct from Freedom.

Never heard of Dueces Den, I’ll check him out

13 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Freedom Ammo in Mantua sells lowers and lots more! 10% off if you recite the Pledge of Allegiance before you pay!

The owner, Glenn is a great guy and is the former CLEO for Woodbury Heights PD. VERY PRO 2A STORE! Good luck!:)

I was there last Saturday, they were extremely helpful. I didn’t notice any lowers but wasn’t looking either. I’ll check them out again today.

12 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Wow..I had no idea. Ive been there a bunch of times, bought a handgun there a couple years ago. I was under the impression he was Mr. Pro 2A himself. I was there this week and there’s pictures of Bob everywhere promoting his NRA work. I guess he has his own idea what the 2A stands for...not ok with me. 

• Like 1

Yikes!...thanks, I'm glad i asked

It’s not entirely true. You can cut off the flash hider if you know what your doing or hire someone who knows. I would recommend mike at Tier one but he’s way out of your way. I think he charges $50 to remove and install the new one pinned and welded. I’m sure someone local can do the same thing if you found something you liked with the shorter barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I'm going to disagree with most folks here.
Buy a factory built gun.
You get a LIFETIME warranty (SIG, Ruger, Stag), in most cases transferavble to your next of kin.
These days factory built guns are only slightly more money than building a franken-AR on your own.
Also, beware the "Experts" on the internet. They will convince you the rifle will explode in your hands unless you get Hyper-Platinum-nitride-titanium coatings with the cold treatments and ceracoatings... all bullshit. 
Akin to getting your car tires filled with Nitrogen. 
There's one born every minute...

"Build your Own" - for the ultra-low budget.
Back when I bought my first AR, I took advice of people saying to build it on my own.
Sure, it was the cheapest route... but also resulted in a sub-par AR I wasn't happy with, not to mention it was a multi-week pain in the ass and required spending more on tools, etc. 
Then there's always the chance you slip or make a mistake and scratch/ding the rifle in process.
Buying factory means no headaches, and hitting the range right from the gun shop.

"Buy complete Upper/Lower"
My 2nd AR I bought a complete Upper and complete Lower from the same maker.
No hammers, punches, or other crap necessary.
Much nicer build than the franken-AR, but still missing the Warranty and fit/finish of a quality factory made rifle.
#2 best option.

Features to focus on:
- Barrel Twist - Try to go for a 1:7 twist. Can handle heavier bullets for longer distances.
- Barrel Chrome Lined - there are other more exotic coatings now. None of them are necessary.
- "Features" - I'm a lefty, and I know the SIG M400 has Ambidextrous mag release, bolt safety, charging handle and upgraded/enhanced everything else on it. The lower receiver is also reinforced in key areas, and the Lower has a QD mount built-in. 
Personally, I like the Magpul furniture. Comfortable and very light weight.
Most of the higher-end AR15 accessories are Mall-Ninja cool, and do nothing other than add weight, and typically serve little to no purpose outside of warfare.

I laugh every time I see an idiot at the range with a $3000 AR15, with lights and grips and lasers hanging off of it, shooting match -grade ammunition at paper targets.
Morons.

By the way... there are Sig Sauer M400's on sale which come with a Romeo red-dot sight. Good quality sight for the money.
I know of an FFL who has one. 
PM if interested.

1 hour ago, DTtuner said:

I'm going to disagree with most folks here.
Buy a factory built gun.
You get a LIFETIME warranty (SIG, Ruger, Stag), in most cases transferavble to your next of kin.
These days factory built guns are only slightly more money than building a franken-AR on your own.
Also, beware the "Experts" on the internet. They will convince you the rifle will explode in your hands unless you get Hyper-Platinum-nitride-titanium coatings with the cold treatments and ceracoatings... all bullshit. 
Akin to getting your car tires filled with Nitrogen. 
There's one born every minute...

"Build your Own" - for the ultra-low budget.
Back when I bought my first AR, I took advice of people saying to build it on my own.
Sure, it was the cheapest route... but also resulted in a sub-par AR I wasn't happy with, not to mention it was a multi-week pain in the ass and required spending more on tools, etc. 
Then there's always the chance you slip or make a mistake and scratch/ding the rifle in process.
Buying factory means no headaches, and hitting the range right from the gun shop.

"Buy complete Upper/Lower"
My 2nd AR I bought a complete Upper and complete Lower from the same maker.
No hammers, punches, or other crap necessary.
Much nicer build than the franken-AR, but still missing the Warranty and fit/finish of a quality factory made rifle.
#2 best option.

Features to focus on:
- Barrel Twist - Try to go for a 1:7 twist. Can handle heavier bullets for longer distances.
- Barrel Chrome Lined - there are other more exotic coatings now. None of them are necessary.
- "Features" - I'm a lefty, and I know the SIG M400 has Ambidextrous mag release, bolt safety, charging handle and upgraded/enhanced everything else on it. The lower receiver is also reinforced in key areas, and the Lower has a QD mount built-in. 
Personally, I like the Magpul furniture. Comfortable and very light weight.
Most of the higher-end AR15 accessories are Mall-Ninja cool, and do nothing other than add weight, and typically serve little to no purpose outside of warfare.

I laugh every time I see an idiot at the range with a $3000 AR15, with lights and grips and lasers hanging off of it, shooting match -grade ammunition at paper targets.
Morons.

Jesus Christ

You said beware of the "experts", then you acted like an "expert".  

To the OP, if you just want a range toy then spend as little as possible.  If you want a rifle that will be used in any defensive role then buy a BCM or Colt or Spikes.  

• Like 3