Mreed731

First AR puchase advice, Sig M400 or Stag

17 minutes ago, DTtuner said:

Boom. All the information you need to take from this entire thread.
Take JR88USMC's quote, and walk away from this opinion shitshow.

I’m gonna go ahead and disagree.

There’s a lot more than goes into a quality rifle that will be reliable and accurate for as long as you need it than just a trigger and optic.

I am a huge proponent of quality optics, but if you but a good RDS or LPVO on a turd of a rifle, you still have a turd of a rifle.

If you don’t know how to shoot, a “better” trigger and optic won’t improve things.

If the carbine is made of sub-par components, it won’t last very long.

Buy quality, buy once, cry once.

A complete upper from a quality manufacturer that has the qualities you want, coupled with a quality lower, built with quality parts, will suit you fine for years to come.

• Like 4

well yes, if it's rifled properly. I just wouldn't buy a Stag, ruger 556 or M&P 15 because of exactly what I said, you'll spend more money in tacticool upgrades than you did on the gun.

Out of all the non-spec rifles I’ve seen over the years S&W is the only one I’d buy.

I would prefer a BCM, Colt, Knights, LMT, etc... 

But, of the lower level “hobby” guns - RRA, Windham/Bushmaster, Stag, Olympic, etc... S&W seems to be the most reliable and built to the best standard (except for that early run with Mossberg supplied barrels - they blew goats).

I would have no issues carrying a S&W rifle on duty. I would not carry a Stag, WW/BM, RRA, etc...

• Like 3

At this point with 4 pages of posts in this thread, it should be up to the OP to decide what he wants to do. Unless he has a specific question he wants to ask. Others will chime in to answer them. I'm sure he will make changes to his AR as time passes. Also, he'll most likely build/buy additional ARs that meet his criteria after getting used to his first one.

BTW - If you're not in a hurry to get your first AR. Lots of online retailers have sales during the holidays which can save you money depending on what route you go with.

Regards,

TokenEntry

30 minutes ago, TokenEntry said:

At this point with 4 pages of posts in this thread, it should be up to the OP to decide what he wants to do.

We have moved on from the OP, we are now whipping out male reproductive organs.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

With just about any rifle all you need is a good trigger and a good optic to make it really good, anything else you're going to upgrade is really just out of your "wants" instead of "needs".

I would add a good sling to that list. You never know when you'll need to carry that AR, and I use it to aim and steady my rifle. My shooting either standing or kneeling has vastly improved since adding my two point sling. :)

• Like 1

Slings are cheap enough that it goes without saying. I got my Magpul MS4 sling for $44 and no complaints. When optics go for $300+ and triggers are $150+ for good ones, it's more notable to put an emphasis on putting a good one on

5 hours ago, DTtuner said:

Damn... you bitches look cute. 
Do you always stop for selfies at the gun range, so you can twittle-tweet your friends?
Was this taken before or after the reach-around?

My under-$700 franken-AR could ring steel at 1000 yards.
Congrats, bro.
Video on a different topic, but right up your alley.
Good section on selfies... 

Found once, I'm with stupid.

You know these two clowns owned a CrossFit box that they converted into a CrossFit like personal training gym that went bus,  right?  I’m having a hard time understanding the point you are trying to make with this video.  If we shouldn’t listen to internet experts I guess we shouldn’t listen to these guys then?  I don’t know.  On a side note I think they are very entertaining   

It’s odd that you disagree with everyone’s opinions and try to convince the OP to only hold your opinions with high regard.  You also said the AR you are assembled was sub-par and then state you ring steel at 1000 yards?   If it true what’s subpar about that?

in the end the OP came on a forum board specifically looking for advice from internet experts   

No need to explain, we can take my questions as rhetorical.  

34 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

You know these two clowns owned a CrossFit box that they converted into a CrossFit like personal training gym that went bus,  right?  I’m having a hard time understanding the point you are trying to make with this video.  If we shouldn’t listen to internet experts I guess we shouldn’t listen to these guys then?  I don’t know.  On a side note I think they are very entertaining.

First, these two "clowns" are former military.  Second, the channel is very entertaining.  BUT MORE TO THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO HAVE SERVED THIS COUNTRY.  So, show some respect.  

2 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

First, these two "clowns" are former military.  Second, the channel is very entertaining.  BUT MORE TO THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO HAVE SERVED THIS COUNTRY.  So, show some respect.  

Ray I wasn’t being disrespectful.  They are intentionally acting like clowns for entertainment.   I watch their channel.  Further if you put out publically consumable entertainment you can expect some critics on your work.  Just like you’re being critical of me.  

• Like 1

Just now, Rob0115 said:

Ray I wasn’t being disrespectful.  They are intentionally acting like clowns for entertainment.   I watch their channel.  Further if you put out publically consumable entertainment you can expect some critics on your work.  Just like you’re being critical of me.  

Rob, please stop.  I am in my safe space.

• Like 1

Just now, Ray Ray said:

Rob, please stop.  I am in my safe space.

Please don’t make me laugh when I’m chewing, I could choke.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I refuse to watch till after I finish my food.  But I’m still f*cking laughing just at the premise.  

Edit:  holy sh!t was that funny and I ordered some coffee.  I’m gonna keep the bag on my desk and see who I offend. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob0115 said:

I refuse to watch till after I finish my food.  But I’m still f*cking laughing just at the premise.  

I posted that eating Fiddle Faddle.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I posted that eating Fiddle Faddle.

That’s some mad skills my man.

Edited above that was funny.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DTtuner said:

Please stop quoting from a useless website that sells out gun owners.  They suck.  

• Like 1

That’s not really a CTD problem, that’s any arms seller. Ultimately it comes down to doing your own research on things you want to buy. I feel bad for the poor souls that go in to a gun shop without doing their HW and being sold on something they know little about. Same goes with buying online and reading articles.

49 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

That’s not really a CTD problem, that’s any arms seller. Ultimately it comes down to doing your own research on things you want to buy. I feel bad for the poor souls that go in to a gun shop without doing their HW and being sold on something they know little about. Same goes with buying online and reading articles.

It is a CTD problem when they were selling AR magazines at 80 bucks a piece.  

Yes, people should educate themselves before diving into any hobby they know little about.  BUT, when you ask advice from a gunshop or CTD and they overcharge you or sell you a hill of beans it not only ruins the buyers experience, it also ruins OUR community.   And the last thing we need right now is to alienate new 2A supporters, Ya dig homeboy?

simple enough, don't buy from them lol. I like MidwayUSA, they usually have the best prices on things but if Brownells, Primary Arms or anyone else for that matter has a better deal on something I want, I get it from them.