voyager9

Gun Restriction executive order

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/11/where_nj_criminals_get_their_guns.html

Importer of 'crime guns'

New Jersey is a net importer of crime guns, meaning the majority of guns recovered here were purchased or stolen out of state and made their way into the hands of suspects in the Garden State. In 2015, 78 percent of the guns recovered in New Jersey came from out of state — more than any other state in the nation. 

A total of 770 guns were sourced to New Jersey, 500 of which stayed in state. 

download copy

This map shows the top sources for crime guns recovered in New Jersey. Pennsylvania was the biggest out-of-state source, with 370 weapons, followed by Georgia (203) and North Carolina (192). Another 29 states and the District of Columbia accounted for 215 other traces.

download-copy-05171e564f22cd54.jpg

• Like 1

They're going to publish crime data.  So what, compared to the other stuff coming down the pike at us.

Wait until they notice that it's all in Camden, Paterson, Trenton and Newark, all run by Democrats.

Publish the race and voting record of all criminals arrested.  

• Like 4

S.gif
c75c26c6-7c8e-45bd-acac-675f4e6d5007.jpg
S.gif
S.gif

GOVERNOR MURPHY SIGNS EXECUTIVE ORDER PROPAGANDIZING GUN CRIME DATA

April 6, 2018 -- This morning, Governor Phil Murphy signed an executive order propagandizing gun crime data, requiring monthly and quarterly publication of data throughout New Jersey. The signing took place at the Asbury Park Middle School in Asbury Park. 

The move appears to be part of a larger regional effort by Murphy's coalition of anti-gun states to circumvent federal restrictions on release of gun trace data, and to manipulate data for the purposes of influencing public policy in other states.

The reporting would be entirely one-sided, and would completely ignore reporting of the hundreds of thousands of times each year nationwide that the mere presence of a legal firearm stops crime, often without a shot fired.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Persona non grata said:

So if we know that the guns being used in crime aren't being purchased in New Jersey, why exactly do we need more/stricter gun laws in this state? :blink:

Edit: Rhetorical question alert. <_<

38 minutes ago, Bob2222 said:

Virtue signaling.

Plus Murphy thinks he actually has a chance to become President.

37 minutes ago, Persona non grata said:

Rhetorical question. ;)

Rhetorical answer! :)

(Plus to divert attention from the fact that in the midst of New Jersey's fiscal train wreck, he spent $13K in taxpayer money on a door for his wife's office.)

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/04/gov_murphy_just_spent_13000_on_a_door_for_nj_first.html

So all this hullabaloo is about NJ taking the bold, progressive step of publishing guns-used-in-crimes data?

The guns-used-in-crimes links Zeke and Bob posted are 1-2 years old...and there are lots of similar ones already on the web.

Way to get out in front of the issue, Gov SMurph!

If only I was politically connected to the Democratic machine in this state, I could easily pull down a six-figure grant to perform exhaustive research into the issue and publish a comprehensive report to comply with the terms of this EO.

Because you're my friends, I'll share (without charge!) my proposal.

Comprehensive Research Proposal for Gov Murphy

Sadly, some Democratic donor will instead be paid a crap ton of money to perform exactly those steps.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 10X said:

So all this hullabaloo is about NJ taking the bold, progressive step of publishing guns-used-in-crimes data?

The guns-used-in-crimes links Zeke and Bob posted are 1-2 years old...and there are lots of similar ones already on the web.

Way to get out in front of the issue, Gov SMurph!

If only I was politically connected to the Democratic machine in this state, I could easily pull down a six-figure grant to perform exhaustive research into the issue and publish a comprehensive report to comply with the terms of this EO.

Because you're my friends, I'll share (without charge!) my proposal.

Comprehensive Research Proposal for Gov Murphy

Sadly, some Democratic donor will instead be paid a crap ton of money to perform exactly those steps.

I’m going to assume the deadline for 2017 data will be 2019. My local Pd is only 2016 data as well

2 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

So when charged with illegally storing his guns in his car did he lose his gun rights?  Oops, they left that part out. 

1 hour ago, Silence Dogood said:

They're going to publish crime data.  

Hey, maybe we'll finally find out what happened to some of the 'Fast and Furious' guns released into the wild by former Attorney General Eric Holder?

• Like 2

some wishful thinking, but this EO could benefit gun owners if it can provide statistics on how much gun violence that happens in this state with firearms legally purchased in state, though we all know that if they can see this statistic, it will be minimal and they'll ignore it and continue to push more laws based on criminal activity.

This is all part of GovGopher's overall plan to revive Woodrow Wilson's success story as a carpetbagging political non-politician.

Running this state was the first elected position each has held. And Woody only served for two years.

GovGopher aspires for the WhiteHouse in 2020 with the support of Hogg and the TidePod Eaters and the rest of the country who thinks that way.

If he is successful in following Woody's footsteps (G-d help us) then I hope the cerebral hemorrhage comes much earlier in his term than in did in Woody's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJ_DD said:

Lol Murphy was asked if he will make stricter punishments for people who break gun laws (criminals Newark Camden etc) and he says “yes we are are working on signing 6 of them. I will sign every one of them.” He dodged the question... he is signing 6 laws that are bs laws and affect legal gun owners (magazine limit etc) but not doing a single damn thing about punishing the criminals running around this state. I don’t understand how liberals can be so brain dead. It’s unbelievable. 

WHOEVER asked that question should've pressed him on the point, since he referenced non-criminals.

2 hours ago, Bob2222 said:

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/11/where_nj_criminals_get_their_guns.html

Importer of 'crime guns'

New Jersey is a net importer of crime guns, meaning the majority of guns recovered here were purchased or stolen out of state and made their way into the hands of suspects in the Garden State. 

It doesn't make sense to worry about whether the guns are imported or not, as long as NJ remains so very, very good at producing criminals domestically.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

WHOEVER asked that question should've pressed him on the point, since he referenced non-criminals.

How is turning law abiding citizens into criminals going to help prevent gun crime? That would be an excellent question!

Wondering if there was more to this: That maybe Murphy planned to announce something else -- and one of his aides said, "Uhhhhh, Gov., I don't think that you can DO that! It's illegal!"

We can find the gun info in about a minute on the internet. It's not believable that nobody in Trenton could find it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 10X said:

It doesn't make sense to worry about whether the guns are imported or not, as long as NJ remains so very, very good at producing criminals domestically.

Cmon! The DNC and introspection? That’s like oil and vinegar 

23 minutes ago, Bob2222 said:

How is turning law abiding citizens into criminals going to help prevent gun crime? That would be an excellent question!

Wondering if there was more to this: That maybe Murphy planned to announce something else -- and one of his aides said, "Uhhhhh, Gov., I don't think that you can DO that! It's illegal!"

We can find the gun info in about a minute on the internet. It's not believable that nobody in Trenton could find it.

“ quarterly reports of NATIONAL gun crime” that part is the agenda.

The executive order strengthening gun laws in New Jersey is continuing one of Murphy's campaign promises.

During his campaign, Murphy expressed he wanted to limit magazine rounds, ban .50 caliber assault weapons, and limit conceal carry permits. 

The announcement was made at the Asbury Park Middle School on Bangs Avenue.

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/37894954/gov-phil-murphy-to-sign-executive-order-on-gun-safety-in-asbury-park

Murphy signs executive order to show New Jersey gun violence data to public

ASBURY PARK - Gun violence, Gov. Phil Murphy said, isn't just a problem in Newark, Camden or Trenton. 

"It's a entire state of New Jersey problem," Murphy said of gun violence at Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School on Friday, speaking to a crowd, which included, gun control advocates and members of "Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America." 

To help combat gun violence, Murphy signed Executive Order 21, which he said would let "residents to see for the first time the direct impact of gun violence in our communities," as well as to let more people see how firearms are trafficked into the state. The new order states that the Department of Law and Public Safety will provide information about guns used in crimes and the sources of those guns.

The data referenced in Murphy's executive order was already available via public records requests, but Murphy said his new executive order, which goes into effect immediately, makes the data more readily accessible to the public.

The data, which the Department of Law and Public Safety will provide monthly, will track gun crimes by municipality, firearm type, the nature of the offense and number of people shot, according to the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General. The information can be viewed on the department's website and the New Jersey State Police's website. 

In choosing Asbury Park to sign the bill, Murphy went to a city that has seen a recent spate in gun violence, as he referenced last month's fatal shooting of 10-year-old Yovanni Banos-Merino and the drive-by shooting that injured five people last Saturday near Atlantic Avenue and Monmouth Avenue. 

Gun rights advocates, however, question the effectiveness of the new order.  

Executive Order 21 and those who signed it are "grandstanding," said Alexander Roubian, president of the New Jersey Second Amendment Society. 

"Instead of addressing the court issues or violence occurring in New Jersey and nationwide, they are deflecting and acting like this is some type of mathematical equation that if they do studies on and analyze the data, they can figure out some magical solution," Roubian said. 

The solution, Roubian said, is "prosecute those that commit violent crimes with firearms or any weapon, and lock them up." He then criticized plea bargaining that sometimes eliminates weapons charges against a defendant if the defendant admits in court to another crime prosecutors consider more serious. 

"Why are they addressing this as if it's a data problem?" Roubian said. "Address the poverty, address the horrific conditions in our inner cities, which are all Democrat-controlled."

At the signing, Murphy was flanked by New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal, New Jersey State Police Superintendent Col. Patrick Callahan and New Jersey Acting Education Commissioner Lamont Repollet, who is the former superintendent of Asbury Park schools.. "No one should be lulled into a false sense that gun crimes are some other town's problems or that illegal guns don't impact their community," Murphy said.

Among the lineup of state officials was one non-official — 14-year-old Asbury Park eighth-grader Jaioné Murray, who spoke of how gun violence affects her and her classmates. 

"Gun violence has taken the life of my cousin, a family friend and I worry that one day it could take mine," Jaioné said. "Students like me have to take cover under desks. We have set aside time to stop  learning and participate in active shooter drills."

"But how can I focus in class if I have to worry about a potential shooter?" she asked.

Murphy signed Executive Order 21 as legislators in Trenton are debating six hotly contested bills that, if they make it to Murphy's desk, would ban armor-piercing bullets and largely prohibit magazines that hold 10 rounds, in addition to tightening regulations for some state residents who own — or want to own — a gun, but whose mental health is called into question. The bills have drawn sharp criticism from state gun advocates. 

"I'm sitting ready with a pen in hand, ready to sign those bills into law," Murphy said Friday. "As I've said time and again, this administration is going to lead based on facts and science, not on politics." 

Grewal said New Jersey's laws overseeing legal gun ownership are tough. But surrounding states — Pennsylvania, for instance — have a more relaxed stance on gun possession and transportation. States with more lax gun laws provide a way for some people to quickly buy firearms and then traffic them over state lines back into New Jersey, Grewal said.

In some instances, Grewal said guns bought in other states are used to commit crimes in New Jersey. 

"Too many other states make it too easy for people to buy firearms," Grewal said. 

"Criminals don't mind that the Delaware River is between us and Pennsylvania," said Callahan, the state police superintendent, who said he attended a national conference a few weeks ago in which police officials saw New Jersey as a model for gun crime intelligence and the sharing of information.

"They don't care about the Hudson River," Callahan said of people who are not deterred by geographic boundaries in an effort to get guns. "They'll pay the toll to go over the George Washington Bridge. So there's regional effort. So we have to start looking at crime and terrorism regionally, and that's what part of this multi-state gun safety initiative is about." 

Mary Anne DeVardi, a member of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, Monmouth County chapter, said she supported a national database tracking who buys what guns — and how many guns. DeVardi said her support for that idea drew sharp criticism from gun advocates. 

"These incidents that have occurred — they have not occurred inside our school, but obviously, our community, our schools are impacted by what happens there," said Sancha Gray, the superintendent of the Asbury Park School District, referring to the death of 10-year-old Banos-Merino, who attended Bradley Elementary School. "What we're hoping is we never have another student lost to any senseless gun acts because of stricter, more firm gun laws in place."'

https://www.app.com/story/news/crime/jersey-mayhem/2018/04/06/murphy-signs-executive-order-show-new-jersey-gun-violence-data-public/493466002/

How does it "strengthen gun laws in New Jersey"?

Given the description, I half-expected him to send out the Redcoats to go house-to-house.

• Like 2

He's looking at guns coming from places where it's easier to purchase and carry that are brought to a state where it's almost impossible to purchase and carry to commit crimes on people in this state where we can't carry because its easier to shot at us because we can't carry and the states they are coming from can carry.  I'm exhausted. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob2222 said:

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/37894954/gov-phil-murphy-to-sign-executive-order-on-gun-safety-in-asbury-park

How does it "strengthen gun laws in New Jersey"?

Given the description, I half-expected him to send out the Redcoats to go house-to-house.

It's all low hanging fruit.  It makes it appear they are doing something.  He'll get "rah-rah"s from the know-nothings.  I my mind him showing that the guns are coming from dirt bags out of state only enforces in my mind that criminals are the problem.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bob2222 said:

Ironic isn’t it? 

"Gun rights advocates, however, question the effectiveness of the new order. "

I think it's more than "Gun rights advocates" who should question the effectiveness of the new order. 

It's "anyone who's not high on weed" who should question the effectiveness of the new order.    

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BobA said:

He's looking at guns coming from places where it's easier to purchase and carry that are brought to a state where it's almost impossible to purchase and carry to commit crimes on people in this state where we can't carry because its easier to shot at us because we can't carry and the states they are coming from can carry.  I'm exhausted. 

Don’t forget that he’s in league with nearby liberal governors (NY Andrew CT I think) on gun control. This report will 100% be used to pressure other states even though those straw purchases are already a crime. 

Gun violence, Gov. Phil Murphy said, isn't just a problem in Newark, Camden or Trenton. 

Except it is.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/every_gun_violence_incident_in_2015_on_a_single_ma.html

The data for 2015 shows how certain areas -- particularly low-income, disadvantaged neighborhoods -- can become hotbeds for gun violence. The data shows that New Jersey's gun violence was mainly concentrated in Newark and Camden.

• Like 2