voyager9

Handguns stolen from judge’s car

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

Would him keeping handguns in car be illegal? What if he had a concealed carry permit?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Properly stored or not, I don't think driving around with three loaded handguns is legal.  I believe I read somewhere that you can only carry one ccw at a time.  ie. no iwb gun along with a ankle bug.  Just one or the other.

Properly stored or not, I don't think driving around with three loaded handguns is legal.  I believe I read somewhere that you can only carry one ccw at a time.  ie. no iwb gun along with a ankle bug.  Just one or the other.
But car was parked. So is it illegal to store in your car?

Would him keeping handguns in car be illegal? What if he had a concealed carry permit?

If the car was on his property, say his driveway, I don't see how it would be illegal. No carry permit required to keep guns on your property.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

https://articles.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2018/04/3_guns_stolen_from_elizabeth_municipal_judge_richa.amp

I’m sure charges will be filed against the judge for illegal possession. Oh wait. 

Illegal possession?  I don't know about that.  If the car was parked in his driveway that's property he owns.  Nothing illegal about storing a gun on your property in a locked car and in a locked box.

52 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I think you're reading into this.  I don't see anything saying tell guns were loaded or any evidence he was driving around with them in the car.

Not sure about a regular NJ carry permit but the RPO permit has no limitations on how many guns you can carry.  The guns you qualify with are listed on the qual form.

I grew up in Elizabeth.  50 years ago I wouldn't leave anything of value in my car.  I agree this was not a smart idea but I don't see where the judge committed any crime 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Illegal possession?  I don't know about that.  If the car was parked in his driveway that's property he owns.  Nothing illegal about storing a gun on your property in a locked car and in a locked box.

I think you're reading into this.  I don't see anything saying tell guns were loaded or any evidence he was driving around with them in the car.

Not sure about a regular NJ carry permit but the RPO permit has no limitations on how many guns you can carry.  The guns you qualify with are listed on the qual form.

I grew up in Elizabeth.  50 years ago I wouldn't leave anything of value in my car.  I agree this was not a smart idea but I don't see where the judge committed any crime 

Yes I’m reading into this. With a purpose. I find it highly suspect that he keeps firearms in a lockbox in his car only when that car is on his property.   Like he drives home, parks his car, goes inside and gets his guns, then locks them in the car overnight?  I believe he keeps these guns in his car full-time whether parked on his property or driving around. 

If he wasn’t a judge, probably with a CCW, he would be charged with something for having these firearms in his vehicle.  

3 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Yes I’m reading into this. With a purpose. I find it highly suspect that he keeps firearms in a lockbox in his car only when that car is on his property.   Like he drives home, parks his car, goes inside and gets his guns, then locks them in the car overnight?  I believe he keeps these guns in his car full-time whether parked on his property or driving around. 

If he wasn’t a judge, probably with a CCW, he would be charged with something for having these firearms in his vehicle.  

You can believe what you want.  There is also a 4A and 5A. Unless the judge waives his rights and signs a confession saying he illegally transported the guns there is nothing to charge him with.

Of he weren't a judge in the same situation, I'll ask again, what can they charge him with?

• Like 1

Yes I’m reading into this. With a purpose. I find it highly suspect that he keeps firearms in a lockbox in his car only when that car is on his property.   Like he drives home, parks his car, goes inside and gets his guns, then locks them in the car overnight?  I believe he keeps these guns in his car full-time whether parked on his property or driving around.  If he wasn’t a judge, probably with a CCW, he would be charged with something for having these firearms in his vehicle.  

He wasn't caught breaking law, but since he maybe broke the law earlier he should be arrested?

7 minutes ago, capt14k said:

He wasn't caught breaking law, but since he maybe broke the law earlier he should be arrested.

Is this a statement or a question?

If it’s a statement, I have a giant problem with this.

Although it would make my job far easier, it is flat against everything I stand for and believe in.

Just throw probably cause and reasonable articulable suspicion out the window and arrest on “maybe”. :facepalm: 

Wow....

• Like 3

Is this a statement or a question?

If it’s a statement, I have a giant problem with this.

Although it would make my job far easier, it is flat against everything I stand for and believe in.

Just throw probably cause and reasonable articulable suspicion out the window and arrest on “maybe”. :facepalm: 

Wow....

It was a question. Sarcasm really. In response to quoted post. I would think by now you know where I stand.

Don’t we have laws against burglary auto?

poor judge ment? Lol! Yes. There are a slight few reasons I could see for justifying storing firearms in your locked car. Kids party? Deranged sig other? Hot Craigslist date?

Lesson learned, on you or locked up reasonably well.

He wasn't caught breaking law, but since he maybe broke the law earlier he should be arrested? 

There are absolutely no grounds for arresting him.

You can think of something he *maybe* did that was illegal leading up to having his guns locked in his car.

Did you consider that he might not be a criminal (presumption of innocence, you might say)?

If I travel directly home from a range there is no law broken leading up to my vehicle being on my property with unloaded guns locked inside.

Is it possible that your scenario is correct? Sure, but the onus is on you to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your accusation is true.

There are absolutely no grounds for arresting him.

You can think of something he *maybe* did that was illegal leading up to having his guns locked in his car.

Did you consider that he might not be a criminal (presumption of innocence, you might say)?

If I travel directly home from a range there is no law broken leading up to my vehicle being on my property with unloaded guns locked inside.

Is it possible that your scenario is correct? Sure, but the onus is on you to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your accusation is true.

can you not see the exchange with HE?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

can you not see the exchange with HE?

I can now. I'm typing (very slowly) on my phone while also working so your last replies came after I started writing mine.

• Like 1

I can now. I'm typing (very slowly) on my phone while also working so your last replies came after I started writing mine.

No problem.