tony357

outdoor solar lights repair.

So these solar lights tend to last about year, ones that sit on top of fence post. I clean the solar panels with polishing compound twice year keeps them clean once they turn white they do not charge. so out of dozen I had about 4 still working. What I learned was they operation is very simple, the solar panel also turns the light on when it stops charging thus the sun being down, two of them the wires corroded off the panel underneath sodered back on and both worked, the rest were dirty connections to batteries and switches which I cleaned and then lubed which I did to all of them while working on them, three had bad batteries which I can pick up. I caulked all the panels so water could no longer get underneath and corrode the wires off. guess ill see how long they last after making mods. saves me from dropping another 148.00 on set of dozen again this year and made good little project.

lights.png

In perfect condition, like indoors, they would last a very long time.  Unfortunately extreme temperature changes, humidity and moisture ruin them pretty quickly.  

Majority of most solar lights are the batteries. You can buy them pretty cheap on Amazon. I bought a pack and have been replacing as needed.

As for the solar panel letting them on at night. Not quite. They actually have photocell/cds cells that sense light. Usually located on the board with the solar cells or in the area. About the size of a button cell.

Water is def a problem and the cheap ones lens yellow. I have bought solar lanterns last year. Cost me a bundle. I also bought these high lumen motion lights with multiple settings. Popped a new battery in and all is well.

I don’t mind throwing them out if they are cheap. Especially if you get a few years out of them. But if they are expensive, that would piss me off. Also, check to see if the factory can replace them if your vendor won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outdoor solar lights blow. Give up the tree hugging junk and release some carbon. You'll save money in the long run.

Not all of them blow.
And if you cannot run electric to the areas, they work fine. Its not about tree hugging.

Electric or solar, the new leds work great.
My Malibu low voltage ones I have on my deck use to be filament bulbs. They use to burn out at least twice a year. I converted them to leds also and work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a fence post light, but I got one of the motion sensor flood lights at HF three years ago and it's still working.  I did have some trouble with t though.  The connections (pretty much all of em) corrode very easily so when it stopped working, I took it apart, cleaned it up, fixed bad connections and sort of water proofed it.  Has not given me a lick of trouble since.

I do the same thing with mine. They usually last about 2 more years before the batteries need replacing. 

On the little cylindrical lights I stick into my garden, I add an o-ring to the cap, so the solar cell/battery module seal when I screw them down to the glass. They seal well, and keep the moisture out. A little preventave maintenance makes those cheap lights last for many years. 

I have quite few solar lights this style are the only ones giving me trouble, I have angled ones on my pilings on the dock that are two years old all work and are bright, have 3 year old flood light out back with motion sensor and separate solar panel works great and small one in my porch that has separate solar panel one year old and works great with motion sensor.

I think the moisture is the main culprit. I put some cheap ones from walmart lining the front walk of my mom's house. I filled em with  Dielectric grease and they've been running for 3 years now

• Like 1