Ray Ray

Let's talk, Walkie-Talkies

6 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Don’t know how expensive/cheap they were... but was purchased from an actual store (on Route 33/34... call it Farmingdale, but either Howell or Wall; by Collingwood Flea Market), not Amazon.

$250+  Those are UHF/VHF Models.

i have a baofeng uv5 with an extended battery

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174MHz-400-520MHz/dp/B00MAULSOK

Ive used it primarily for airsoft ops with an extended antenna, and wired through a ptt and headset. Ran it through ops penhurst and the sranton lace factory with good results.

Midland's have been getting great reviews for a few years.  These are the ones I've been looking at.  They aren't super expensive but give you everything you need in a reasonable package.  The only thing I would buy outside of the kit is stronger batteries.  They rechargeable ones they give aren't great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001WMFYH4/?coliid=I1QVL47GCTC6LR&colid=290IMNJ48ND1C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Your focusing on hardware (models that might have zero bearing on what they may actually be used for....

Until the OP. Gives more detail how can a recommendation be made. 

Point of reference 5 watts....top of mt Mansfield in VT.... with an ht....  contact with an OP on top of mt Washington....albeit in portable station with gain antenna....

More data ray and you will get much better answers......

47 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Until the OP. Gives more detail how can a recommendation be made.  More data ray and you will get much better answers......

I got all the answers I need.  Thank you sir.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Your focusing on hardware (models that might have zero bearing on what they may actually be used for....

Until the OP. Gives more detail how can a recommendation be made. 

Point of reference 5 watts....top of mt Mansfield in VT.... with an ht....  contact with an OP on top of mt Washington....albeit in portable station with gain antenna....

More data ray and you will get much better answers......

One of my radio clubs and I regularly operate the September VHF Ham Radio Contest from the top of a knob in NE Pennslyvania....working stations from Maine to Virginia, with occasional forays into Florida using the frequencies we're talking about.  Of course, we have height, power, and 12 foot long antennas....but even a hand-held, 5 watt transceiver can do a hundred miles from up there.

THAT is why everyone says 'it depends'....

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

One of my radio clubs and I regularly operate the September VHF Ham Radio Contest from the top of a knob in NE Pennslyvania....working stations from Maine to Virginia, with occasional forays into Florida using the frequencies we're talking about.  Of course, we have height, power, and 12 foot long antennas....but even a hand-held, 5 watt transceiver can do a hundred miles from up there.

THAT is why everyone says 'it depends'....

Yep running VHF SSB years ago even without tropo -   maine to va is possible.....  let's not even talk about sat ops 2m/10m etc.  :)