MartyZ

I finally turned her

For as long as we have been married, 20 years now, I have been trying to get my wife into guns. But she has always been hands off. She did not mind me having guns in the house but she didn't want anything to do with them herself. And she always complained that I spent too much money on my hobby. I took her to the range for the first time about ten years ago, and her opinion at that time did not change.

Well, I was finally able to talk her into going to the range with me yesterday, for the second time in her life. And low and behold, I now have an order for a pink camo AR15. I finally did it, she has finally come over to the dark side.

Now I need to start building a light weight AR15 for her, and of course, paint it pink. I already have a few anderson lowers, so now I need suggestions for light weight parts. Don't know if I want to use the MI billet uppers I have or get a stamped upper.

Edit: Oh, and I think she just took unofficial possession of my VP9. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

Now I need to start building a light weight AR15 for her, and of course, paint it pink. I already have a few anderson lowers, so now I need suggestions for light weight parts. Don't know if I want to use the MI billet uppers I have or get a stamped upper. 

If you want to go light weight you can do a skeletonized build. What sort of budget are you looking at? There are recommendations in the article below, although they may be a bit pricey for some people.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/08/lightweight-ar-pistol-project-part-1/#axzz5CBRVed3Y

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

For as long as we have been married, 20  37 years now, I have been trying to get my wife into guns. But she has always been hands off. She did not mind me having guns in the house but she didn't want anything to do with them herself. And she always complained that I spent too much money on my hobby.

Wait, are you married to MY wife?????? :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

If recoil is an issue start with a rifle length gas system and build a light recoiling rifle for her. 

recoil is not an issue, overall weight is. She had no problem shooting the AR10, only because she was shooting it off the bench. She needs something she can comfortably hold up.

I think an AR build is the way to go. Being modular will keep her interest. Downside: The lightweight parts will be expensive.

i know savage makes a few lightweight deer rifles. Haven't shot them but remember seeing them when I bought my 308. The accu trigger is nice right out of the box.

Another route would be to look at a number of different youth rifles. They come in a lot of different calibers. 

Edit: now how exactly did you convince her to come to the range?

The only difference between the OP and me is, I've never been able to get my wife of 30 years to the range.  Not once.  She doesn't mind that I go, thinks it's great I have something to do one-on-one with the kids, but has no interest in shooting.  Oh, and I've never told her how much I've spent on handguns and she's never seen the inside of the safe.  She doesn't want to know either.

What's the old joke?  "My biggest fear when I die is my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid."  My household version of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"...

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Sevenshot said:

Edit: now how exactly did you convince her to come to the range?

He probably told her there was jewelry there.

8 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

Oh, and I've never told her how much I've spent on handguns and she's never seen the inside of the safe.  She doesn't want to know either.

What's the old joke?  "My biggest fear when I die is my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid."  My household version of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"...

I can relate to that.

That's why only my sons know what's in the safes and the where the keys are.

7 hours ago, MartyZ said:

And low and behold, I now have an order for a pink camo AR15. I finally did it, she has finally come over to the dark side.

How about a pink Ruger 10/22 Tactical in a AR configuration. Virtually no recoil and lightweight, but still cool looking and fun to shoot:

https://ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/specSheets/11175.html

1 hour ago, Sniper22 said:

How about a pink Ruger 10/22 Tactical in a AR configuration. Virtually no recoil and lightweight, but still cool looking and fun to shoot:

https://ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/specSheets/11175.html

I got a red 10/22, don't need another. I already have most parts to build 2 AR15s, just need barrel and forearm

That's great! My wife was the same. Although we have only been together a few years. She hates handguns, and I was lucky to get her to go to the range a second time. Broguht the rifles this time. Well now she has her own AR15, light weight too. 

• Like 1

Just now, MartyZ said:

She is a wonderful woman but you put a tool in her hand and someones going to get hurt.

^ ^ ^ ^ I have no response to this.

But I totally dig the tiger stripe motif.  In black and OD, it's my favorite camo pattern